The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 02:50:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  How many times a day do you build a new car?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How many times a day do you build a new car?  (Read 8886 times)
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« on: January 31, 2007, 20:33:42 pm »

...in your head.   Tongue

So far my main mental projects include:

The Brown Car
1964 sedan.  More or less a copy of Bryan's old green survivor car, but in metallic brown.  Dechromed, round indicators, chromies with no caps.  Simple black interior, VDO gauges, funky cloth inserts in the seats and panels, Motolita wheel, Hurst.  2276 with IDAs, maybe a close box.  Maybe not.  Plexiglass headlight covers, t-bars or...buggy bars???

Alternate 67
1967 sedan.  Dechromed, Yukon Yellow.  Would leave the door and trunk handles shiny.  That means I'd have to experiment with painted headlight rings.  Not sure if they'd go with the shiny hardware.  Painted Empi 5s, 145/165 tires.  Vert decklid, or maybe experiment with my own version of the "scoop" lid.  Blade bumpers.  Black interior, also some kind of cloth inserts in the aftermarket seats.  Dechromed dash, an array of gauges.  Another Motolita wheel.  Maybe a light tint on the rear 3 windows.  78x92 or 94 combo.

The Oval  Real-life project car I own.
1957 Horizon Blue sunroof.  Stock bodywork, blade bumpers with short euro guards.  Trim in window rubber.  15x6 flat Fuchs with 175/65 and 205/65 tires (color matched?  hmmm...).  Dark blue sunroof cover and interior.  Stock seats with blue plaid inserts, repeated in the panels.  Stock wheel and dash, Hurst.  Gas heater to keep the wife warm while I'm cruising autumn weather with the sunroof open.  Fuel injection and forced induction.  A nice open road cruiser.

The JavaBug
My current 1967 sedan.  Lately I've been thinking about giving the car a complete going-over, including paint.  New wiring harness, tidy up the interior.  My Fuchs, re-anodized and detailed.  Stock bodywork, but shave the chrome from the running boards.  Maybe the window rubber, too.  Stock dash, gauges hidden in the glovebox.  Tach under dash as it is now.  Hurst.  Tan interior, GTS Classic recliners in tan with basketweave vinyl centers.  2110 that is on the bench now—86b, K-Roc 40x35.5 heads, 48 Tri-Jet DRLAs, 40 hp stale air merged heaterboxes.

I think about each one of these cars at least once every day.  Usually I go home with a headache at the end of the day.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
The Ideaman

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 22:44:42 pm »

Daily...

67 #1 is the lotus white car in the garage.  Needs an outside respray, headliner and fuchs mounted to new discs.  Everything for the car is in the garage except for the paint and headliner.

67 #2 is the original paint VW blue car in storage right now.  2110 and ida's with stock gearing .  No new paint.  Wide 5 discs on the front and type 3 drums on the back.  Ercos or maybe centerlines unless a set of radars or real brms show up.

Jim Kaforski clone would be #3 project.

Project #4 is a 66 fastback in Daniel Hood's shop now.  2110 and injectors.

Then I want an oval window sedan with 356 brakes and wheels.  Okrasa 36er and tunnel case trans. 12 volt conversion with Porsche generator.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 22:59:53 pm »

This varies from day to day, but lately I've been thinking about these:

#1 the 67 wich I own, respray in gold (instead of gold&green) detailing of the interior, cleaning up of the engine (ditch the msd for some old school stuff)
   putting buggy bars and lucas indicators on,, and swapping the magnaflow for a double quite pack...

most off these will probably be done by this summer

#2 The Cal-look Karmann project; brownish colored with early rivieras, 74 x 85.5 engine with solexes, full homemade fat biscuit interior...
      this one is on hold till I've got some more time and finish the 67

#3  A late model (68 to 72) solid color, painted headlight rims, empi 8's, and the engine off the above project... this is something I like to accomplish in the next few years...

BUT by then I probably have 10 other projects going in my head!!!

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 02:19:31 am »

How many counts as too many  Huh Cheesy I think I might have a problem  Tongue

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Bryan67

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 03:18:45 am »

A replica of the old green 64 with Centerlines instead of sprintstars. (Have you seen the price of them lately)?

My 65 panel that is waiting to get painted Lotus white with Enkies and a 1776

A 64 Buick Skylark 60`s mild custom dropped on Supremes.

Luke (Ideaman), I have a hard time seeing you in a 36 horse powered anything.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
The Ideaman

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 03:25:10 am »

Actually, if we're talking other than VW's, then the list is huge.  I want another 66 Belvedere sedan with a 440 and 4.10's in the back.  A 32 Ford roadster hiboy.  Another 68 nova.  A 64 Nova wagon.  Maybe a 36'er is not something I want.  Never had one.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
alex d

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 09:21:56 am »

far too many  Grin
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 13:45:35 pm »

Good to hear I'm not the only one.  I was having a difficult time convincing myself that I had a weird disorder.

There are definetly more for me, but I quickly get tired of typing.  I never even got to the year-round Baja driver, the German Looker, the Track-T, the Ford Econoline van, the...

Mike H.

Sven was right.
jose del orto

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 14:19:39 pm »

You will have the first signs of a weird disorder when you notice that you're loosing "cal look-fantasy" while sitting in your office!
I don't build so many cars per day, but the one I'm thinking about has already covered in my head many thousand miles on its fuchs wheels within few weeks...
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 15:11:50 pm »

I do burnouts in my mind and I also make trips with cute girls and let them feel the accelleration of my imaginary 2275cc...
 Maybe it's time to wake up and get things started for real...

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 15:26:38 pm »

My car is a fully restored 51 with crotch coolers that wins every concours event.  Then it gets a full strip down, roof chop, and a house of kolor lime/gold metalflake paintjob.  it runs BRM's that have had the rears banded to 7".  It has a ARPM case with a 3 litre capacity, running 62mm throttle bodies and NOS.  I run only the drivers seat, and have a special baby seat made by simpson that has its own harness etc (Well it is in the future).

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Eddie DVK

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 16:21:12 pm »

A lot..
A type 2 streched pick up (1970), as the old empi car hauler, so that I can bring my car to all the europene shows.
With flat 6 in the back for hiway cruising, lowered on fuchs....

Kind regards edgar
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 20:13:00 pm by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
El Dub

Nostalgia VW addicted!

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 16:27:51 pm »

LOVE that topic!!!

Make me feel better as I'm not the only dreamer in this world...

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 17:27:27 pm »

Ive got so many cars built in my head from top to bottom that I have to write down the ideas so I can get them out of my head then I can think about the next thing!! I even coolect parts for cars that I know I wont own for 10 years Smiley

My '67 street/gasser project
My 68 Fastback project
My '72 GTV
1965 type 1, late '70's cal looker
Oval cal looker
'70 cal looker
'63 ragtop sleeper
Split era 3 window Kustom Koupe

Many, many more... Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 19:49:36 pm »

I don't do many mental VWs anymore... In fact my VWs dreams just include finishing the 2 I have and doing one more '67.

Now hot rods and such... well right now, after owning my '26 for a while and realizing how small of a car it is... I'm lusting after doing a Model T Phaeton

Hot Rod red with Radir and whitewall cheater slicks.  I want it to look like it's right out of a Frankie & Annette beach movie!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 20:03:40 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
ESH

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 20:16:38 pm »

I think I have 3 on the go, one that's actually being built, one for a homeless turbo motor and then there's the third of the threes to complete a set, no, tell a lie it's four, there's a car that looks like a blue one that a friend keeps talking about and I can't get it out of my head right now either though that's an easy one as there's no interior or windscreen wipers, which in that instance is a good thing because they'd need to be cut and shut.  Smiley

(Rick, you changed your rod? It's like the 'Confuser Cat' Monty Python sketch, I'm sure the last one was yellow?)
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 21:05:53 pm »

(Rick, you changed your rod? It's like the 'Confuser Cat' Monty Python sketch, I'm sure the last one was yellow?)

Are you sure you're getting your medication Mat?  Cheesy

Actually, I just found a better picture so I swapped it.

Confuse-a-Cat was a great skit... I gotta dig up my Monty Python DVD set now!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
ESH

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 21:39:02 pm »

Are you sure you're getting your medication Mat? Cheesy

No!  Shocked

Cheesy
Mike Maize

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 14:45:34 pm »

I waste my fair share of time! Here's how I do it.

1969 "Poor"-sh-Look convertible.....
I do a LOT of daydreaming about my convertible which I have had for over 20 years this year! It has had several different incarnations. First was the mid eighties all white with color matched Formula Vee wheels and I think a 1600. Then the dream turned toward black porsche/cal-look style with a 1776 around 1990. Redid the car to black with gray tweed 1776, speedster grill and fully polished Formula Vee wheels in around 1995. Then the dream turned to a 2.0L With bigger carbs, did that in 2000 or so. From there the obsession was to FINALLY get it on some detailed flat six Fuchs and did that last winter, gave the car the look I allways wanted. Next obsession is for single throttle body EFI blow through intercooled turbo and a gas heater. After all these years of owning it I NEVER get bored driving it and it feel like an extension of my body. Java bug knows I don't baby it either Wink
The other car I dreamed of building I almost have finished, although I had it on the road last summer.

1967 Dave Deal Car-Toon inspired street/strip machine.......
 The dream was a trip down memory lane to all of the stuff I saw growin up in the late sixties and seventies reading Car-Toons comic book and building models of custom vans. I remember seeing all the neighborhood's older crowd running around in their flared jeans and BIG hair, lots of flared fenders old real mag wheels and lace paintjobs.....HEAVEN to a little car lover!
I ended up with
Bright Orange
IDA'ed 2276, wedgeports, 86B, 1 3/4 exhaust, with close gears (deafening!)
Flared fenders scooped decklid sunken hood, can't get much more Car-Tooney than that combo!
Early 4.5's and deep sixes, 135's and M&H DOT's  real mags just like the neighborhood guys had Wink Fat looking doughnuts in the back just like the comics!
3" narrowed beam to exaggerate the effect of the front flared fenders
Four wheel discs. Gotta be safe!
Mini Beer Keg crank case breather. Mounted inside the rear window with hoses going everywhere. (good for the "what the heck is that?" factor whhen it is parked somewhere)
Interior is early British car buckets that are exaggereratedly small to fit the car toon bill. Copper hurst shifter because it looks like a relic. Velour door panels and headliner (will get changed to diamond tucked vinyl if I keep the car)
Feul cell (for the gee whiz is that a race car factor)
Filled dash with tons of guages. Might mount a big old tach on the cowl this summer.
Over-grown 70's galss pack style exhaust, made from a 3inch Dynomax bullet muffler with a huge flared tip. (possibly my favorite part on the car, maybe the keg)

Now that its finished I am actually wondering why I built it............ Roll Eyes

Next dream is for an early oval....black or gray.....fast, quiet, dependable, probably turbo. probably Fuchs....hmm gotta keep working on this one.
ESH

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007, 00:32:42 am »

...1970 Bug, lowered up front, no chrome (except headlight rings and vent wing), Gumby green, black interior, 356 Speedster seats, harnesses, Nardi wood wheel or old Momo Prototipo wheel. 6" Fuchs, detailed as Porsche would have. 200hp IDAs Vertex VW fan good stuff. CA plate says GMBYGRN...

Interesting!  Cheesy
Russell

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 00:41:15 am »

Matt

This medication of yours can i get some ?

Best Regards

Russell
ESH

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 00:47:17 am »

Sure, how much you want?  Cool Shocked Grin
Russell

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2007, 00:51:01 am »

well more that you anyway !

Best Regards

Russell
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »