The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 19:37:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The "big (bigger) cc type 3 engine" thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: The "big (bigger) cc type 3 engine" thread  (Read 31889 times)
Donny B.

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009, 22:23:32 pm »

What this tread needs is some info and photos of Tom Hansen's notch with a fuel injected typeIV engine.  Complete with Nikasyl cylinders an automatic transmission.  That was the way it was the first time I saw it.  I haven't seen it in a while so it may have changed.  Anyone out there have info on this?  Bruce?

It was a beautiful car!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Stephan S

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2009, 23:20:30 pm »

March 2003 VW Trends. Love this car. It runs a 2.7L Type IV engine, though!

Der Kleiner Panzers
Georg/DFL

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2009, 23:36:50 pm »

What this tread needs is some info and photos of Tom Hansen's notch with a fuel injected typeIV engine.  Complete with Nikasyl cylinders an automatic transmission.  That was the way it was the first time I saw it.  I haven't seen it in a while so it may have changed.  Anyone out there have info on this?  Bruce?

It was a beautiful car!

Donny, nothing against a sweet type 3 with a type 4 engine, but this thread really is about big TYPE 3 engines. It's the challange to make them last, not putting type 1s or 4s in there.  Cool

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Donny B.

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2009, 23:53:05 pm »

Georg, I understand where you are coming from, however you would really have to see this car. It looks stock from every aspect until you lift the engine cover.  It is a masterpiece.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Georg/DFL

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2009, 11:02:14 am »

Some more pictures and info on the Daniel Hood engine from Luke "The Ideaman":

Car was built by Daniel Hood in 2006.  He modified the shroud by cutting off the heater tubes and milled the alternator area flat.  He then built a bracket for mounting a nippondenso alternator.
Motor runs great.  8.6 to one and 140hp.  Kymco 1 5/8" exhaust.

Cal Look is not a crime
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Felix/DFL

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2009, 14:18:43 pm »

On my 1776cc I went with the orig. oilcooler. Withe the 2.2 I will even go with it. Too confuse some people Wink
A fake oilcooler which keeps the stockish look which I really like. The holes in the case will be closed and the inner tin of the panel modified.

Reworked the repro typ-3 under cylinder engine tin so that it really fits (never saw those on orig. typ-3 engines do the really exist???) and made me some alu head-deflectors (orig. with slot for thermostat which I won`t be using lays on the left)

And the last one is soo swett that it shouldn`t miss here!

@DKK Fred: Thank ya man!
nicolas

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2009, 14:29:49 pm »

Reworked the repro typ-3 under cylinder engine tin so that it really fits (never saw those on orig. typ-3 engines do the really exist???) and made me some alu head-deflectors (orig. with slot for thermostat which I won`t be using lays on the left)

does what exist?

and Died, the engine you described looks very similar to the one i wanted first. 78x90.5 with an FK8 and all type3, would be fitted with 42DCNF's and fit under the lid. heat is an issue as well with the fitment under the lid, so sticking out the carbs or go with freshairboxes maybe the solution for those. it needs a bit more thought for a type3 layout shown above...

so type1 it is!  Grin

and we will maybe be able to compare timeslips in the future... if i ever manage to make it all work.

if the carbs stick out the fan might as well do so, but it spoils the whole type3 concept, that is very true.
Felix/DFL

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2009, 20:26:03 pm »

does what exist?

The typ-3 engine tin that fits under the cylinders (3rd pic marked with 3/4)

One word to the under lid fitment. If you got a Square you have to, otherwise go through the lid and make yourself a firewall sperator against the heat and noise.
Before I went the IDA route I had 40 IDF`s with those super flat air cleanners mounted. Then I switched them for long funnels and it was a differnce like night to day. Maybe those Ram-flow perform better...

nicolas

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2009, 20:50:46 pm »

hmm interesting, i have a set of these as well, but mostly it is the smaller ones i found on original engines, the one the builders forget to put back...  Roll Eyes
Critter1

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2009, 18:44:36 pm »

Here is the foundation for my "bigger cc Type-3 engine". Heavy duty (for street use!).
Its for my Fasty, but this subframe came out of a squareback. It has the bigger SB torsion bars and the factory reinforcement under the torsion housing. I used the red urethane spring plate bushings, CBs rhino trans mounts, and a steel fabricated torque bar.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 17:12:31 pm by Critter1 » Logged
Jim Ratto

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2009, 18:52:58 pm »

I wonder how those super slim profile air filters (Claude's Buggies) turn down the tune on these big T3 engines. Man, they look restrictive. Sure looks like a good application for some itg filters.
Critter1

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2009, 18:58:31 pm »

I wonder how those super slim profile air filters (Claude's Buggies) turn down the tune on these big T3 engines. Man, they look restrictive. Sure looks like a good application for some itg filters.

These Ram-Flo style filters are the way to go for under the lid and non restrictive. IMO

Jim Ratto

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 19:07:41 pm »

These Ram-Flo style filters are the way to go for under the lid and non restrictive. IMO

those look like they would work, and nice looking too.
The Ideaman

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2009, 20:07:42 pm »

those look like they would work, and nice looking too.
If those are like the old Weiand filters from the 70's and 80's with the black foam, one good backfire and they are going to have a big hole in the top of them.  I've destroyed a couple of the V8 style ones many years ago.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2009, 21:35:31 pm »

short IDA manifolds, i.e. Berg's or Udo's: not concerned if carbs will clear body/engine lid, but do the manifolds clear the cylinder shrouds, etc?
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2009, 00:19:44 am »

The type 3 "cool tin" was only fitted to the last of the type 3's, and IMO they're crap Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2009, 00:29:16 am »

Critter1, that Type 3 rear suspension image is wall-to-wall MONEY. Good job, man.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Georg/DFL

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2009, 08:31:10 am »

short IDA manifolds, i.e. Berg's or Udo's: not concerned if carbs will clear body/engine lid,

Jim, it is impossible to fit IDAs even with short manifolds. You always have to cut the body for them. At my Ghia I had the cut-out widend with the help of a donor type 3. Now it looks stock but has enough room for the carbs. My club mate Felix has specially made manifolds with a different angle. But even with them he had to cut a bit of the lip around the cut-out. You see, it's not that simple to make a big type 3 engine fit and work.

but do the manifolds clear the cylinder shrouds, etc?

Shrouds??? What do you mean?

Cal Look is not a crime
Jim Ratto

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2009, 17:14:09 pm »

short IDA manifolds, i.e. Berg's or Udo's: not concerned if carbs will clear body/engine lid,

Jim, it is impossible to fit IDAs even with short manifolds. You always have to cut the body for them. At my Ghia I had the cut-out widend with the help of a donor type 3. Now it looks stock but has enough room for the carbs. My club mate Felix has specially made manifolds with a different angle. But even with them he had to cut a bit of the lip around the cut-out. You see, it's not that simple to make a big type 3 engine fit and work.

but do the manifolds clear the cylinder shrouds, etc?

Shrouds??? What do you mean?

the project I'm helping with, we know the IDAs will have to come into luggage area... no problem, however, I am wanting to tune this engine with short manifolds, so I am not concerned with "how high" the carbs sit, I am just wondering if the short manifolds clear the cylinder covers, fan ducting, etc.
nicolas

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2009, 21:21:01 pm »

the fit will be tight as the cooling thin goes straight up pretty high. IDF's fit but barely on short manifolds.

i am so desperately looking for a shot of my enginecompartment and show how mine was enlarged. no second car was needed for that, the guy who did this did a great job in my opinion, and if i ever have another car done, would be my first choice, but he no longer works at the place my car was painted at.

Critter1

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2009, 06:25:36 am »

Critter1, that Type 3 rear suspension image is wall-to-wall MONEY. Good job, man.
Thanks Fred! Its like looking at candy!!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2009, 07:21:54 am »

Thanks Fred! Its like looking at candy!!

Excellent analogy. Can't wait to see pics of that installed on the car. That's gonna rock, for sure.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Felix/DFL

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2009, 12:36:06 pm »

The type 3 "cool tin" was only fitted to the last of the type 3's, and IMO they're crap Smiley

Hi Zach.
Is it just a feeling or did you make bad experiences with those?
The orig. fit of the repro one`s is really crap but that could be reworked.It`s even the first time I will try them out.

There was always or 95% a cause why VW changed things or added them. And those typ-3 tin must have been more expensive than the normal typ-1 tin, so they wouldn`t have changed it if they bring no benefit.

notched

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2010, 22:05:05 pm »

Just found this...

You guys are makin' me drool with your Type 34s!!!

Here's my 2332 that's in my '63 Notch. All under the lid. 84 x 94, CB EFI, DRD Stage 5 heads, Kymco 1 5/8" exhaust, MSD ignition.

stealth67vw

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2010, 05:32:52 am »

Phil Standard Time Grin Always late to the party.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
notched

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2010, 07:54:07 am »

The party never starts until I show up...  Kiss

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2010, 23:22:21 pm »

Hi Zach.
Is it just a feeling or did you make bad experiences with those?
The orig. fit of the repro one`s is really crap but that could be reworked.It`s even the first time I will try them out.
There was always or 95% a cause why VW changed things or added them. And those typ-3 tin must have been more expensive than the normal typ-1 tin, so they wouldn`t have changed it if they bring no benefit.

The original T1 deflector tin works very nicely in conjunction with the "sled" tins that go by 1&3 and pass under the pushrod tubes, and their opposites that attach next to 2&4. That's how the factory did it (on t1), the tin fits nice and tight with no air leaks. If you don't want to run those other pieces, then sure, the T3 "cool" tin is for you. If you're building a T3 engine, search out some original "cool" tins and the appropriate one year only sled tins, etc. The latter can be very hard to find, believe me, I know Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 23:25:34 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Mario/DKT

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2010, 08:07:19 am »

Guys,
i convert the 2176 enginge of my lowlight into a pancake...
I have some idea's, and this thread help's me to forward the part of the whole Gulfback-project. Thanks.
Will keep you updated...

Mario/DKT

bedjo78

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2011, 09:36:01 am »

been long long ongoing project ....

old engine set up. right now in progress swapping with Gt42R
fredy66

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2011, 12:52:28 pm »

bade ass

arabia slugs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »