The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 20:52:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351084 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Project 68 cab
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Project 68 cab  (Read 41343 times)
Black Sheep

less is more

« on: December 11, 2009, 23:45:17 pm »

Will I ever learn " probably not "  Roll Eyes will you just take a look at the dog I dragged home  Undecided

looks like the overhaul of the 49 is gonna take a bit of a back seat for a while  Wink
Got this little fixer upper "read shit loads of rust cutting out " for her indoors . It's a 68 model , plan is to cut out the rot which is most of the back end , heater channels etc .
Switch it over to RHD , de trim , drop the front a bit , paint it in its original royal red and sit it on some Mahle wheels .
Gonna weld in some bracing tomorrow " lot more than I would put in a saloon" and pull cut and tear the body off the pan , wish me luck  Wink
Got a big list of panels going already
luggage floor
two rear quarters
heater channels
sill strengtheners
two new pan half's
68> rear valence
two rear wings
ETC ETC

Oh yeah don't tell the Mrs but its gonna have an turbo in there  Wink

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 23:59:32 pm by 49-rag » Logged

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
vwcab

peter

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 23:56:24 pm »

So Glenn,good luck  with the resto,and I like the fact a "vwcab" with a turbo.
Interesting project,I will follow it for sure.  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 08:12:45 am »

Utter madness, it can't be done  Tongue Grin

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 12:50:58 pm »

cool project! Smiley

Glitter don't make you faster.
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 18:30:56 pm »

Just gone out and got a donor car 1302S with a new luggage panel with it  Cool
Looks like the cab my have to go IRS  Wink

13.03 @ 98mph
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 20:27:48 pm »

Hey we not talking about your car. Tongue Grin

Also what idiot talked you into a turbo motor for it. Cheesy

Hahaha your killing me.........
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 20:33:52 pm »

Hey we not talking about your car. Tongue Grin

Also what idiot talked you into a turbo motor for it. Cheesy

Motor for mine is starting to take shape, bottom end is been trial fitted and balanced over xmas, the heads are been tested and then put on a Serdi valve machine centre(just imported into the UK) to check valve angles, length etc so that all 4 chambers are identical.  So in a few months i'll go heads up against your hairdryer.Wink

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 23:57:36 pm »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 23:59:14 pm by 49-rag » Logged

13.03 @ 98mph
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 09:44:28 am »

Didn't hear you fibreglass boy.  Speak up  Tongue Grin

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 20:59:06 pm »

Well after 5 hours , six ultra thin cutting discs and a lot of swearing , the donor 1302S is now a collection of parts  Wink
" anyone want a usable 1302 front clip and a pair of mac struts Im your man  Wink"
I can now tick off the luggage panel , rear valance and possibly the rear quarters from the want list  Smiley
The pan halfs on this donor car are very solid , what with the S gearbox Im going to have to look into grafting on the frame head from the cab pan and transfer the ID
Can't wait now to get stuck into the cab proper now , just need to strip down the donor rear end to see what's useable .

13.03 @ 98mph
leec

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 21:32:50 pm »

So its not done yet? Smiley

Where did the 1302 donor come from then?

Lee
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 22:12:11 pm »

Nah not quite yet  Grin
 The 1302 was a chance score , went around Max & AJ's for a brew yesterday lunchtime and got talking , he said he had something i wanted but could'nt have  Roll Eyes a luggage panel which he had hand picked from another car , then said that he knew of a car that was for sale age;s ago that had a new one with a load of new panels to boot  Cool
He dug out the number gave them a call and to both of our supprise it was still there .
24 hours later it was sat in my drive , and a few hours after that it was parts .
Dont hang about around here you know  Wink

13.03 @ 98mph
herbieharv

13.5@99.5mph virgin

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 07:16:45 am »

is that what they call a karman skip? Grin

I keep meeting cloned mates in other country's .....I'm getting worried there might be another one of me

15.00 secs in a jumbo ... Mile high club member
Neil Davies

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 11:45:30 am »

Well I can't see the pictures, but it can't be nay worse than mine! Cheesy
http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,9041.0.html
I've got a load of spare bits (complete set of window winders mechanisms, glass except for screen, pair of really ropy doors and various bits of Karmann metalwork) if you need stuff, and I've found out loads about how Karmanns are put together too! I might be picking your brains for measurements from time to time! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 17:35:14 pm »

Cheers Neil , I may be up for the winder mech's as both the drivers /right side one's are useless on my cab , drop me a list of spare's especially panels  Wink
Those pix of your heater channels look very similar to the condition of mine  Wink
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 17:43:39 pm by 49-rag » Logged

13.03 @ 98mph
Neil Davies

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 18:12:59 pm »

I'm home and have had a look at the picture - doesn't look too bad! Cheesy Funny how they look better in the pics than in real life... Grin

I'll have a good look for the winder gear next week - I finish school on Friday! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Neil Davies

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 18:18:22 pm »

Well after 5 hours , six ultra thin cutting discs and a lot of swearing , the donor 1302S is now a collection of parts  Wink
" anyone want a usable 1302 front clip and a pair of mac struts Im your man  Wink"
I can now tick off the luggage panel , rear valance and possibly the rear quarters from the want list  Smiley
The pan halfs on this donor car are very solid , what with the S gearbox Im going to have to look into grafting on the frame head from the cab pan and transfer the ID
Can't wait now to get stuck into the cab proper now , just need to strip down the donor rear end to see what's useable .

Just read this bit again Glenn - 1302 pan halves are different to torsion bar cars apparently - shame because I've got a really good 1303 pan at the unit too... They're wider at the front, where the heater channels kick in just in front of the doors.

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 18:39:08 pm »

Bugger  Embarrassed , oh well Ive now got a pan for sale too  Roll Eyes

13.03 @ 98mph
Neil Davies

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 09:16:29 am »

Bugger  Embarrassed , oh well Ive now got a pan for sale too  Roll Eyes

If you've got to replace the pan halves in the cabrio pan, it might be easier to do that and weld in IRS brackets at the same time than to do a frameheads and pan half swap on the 02 pan. All depends on the state of the framehead!

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 18:57:55 pm »

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=551646

framehead?

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 18:58:31 pm »

Pretty much what i was thinking Neil , got a heater channel kicking about here some place I'll place it on the pan just to see how different they are .
Still on the upside got offered a intercooler today that's just right , thinking about cutting in a type 25 top engine hatch into the luggage floor and dropping the cooler in next to the box  Wink
May even raise the whole floor while I'm at it for a bit more room for go faster bits  Undecided

13.03 @ 98mph
kev d

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 09:13:40 am »

Just cheat & throw away most of the shell like I did, it'll be done in no time.. Wink

Cheers,
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Neil Davies

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 10:55:42 am »

Pretty much what i was thinking Neil , got a heater channel kicking about here some place I'll place it on the pan just to see how different they are .
Still on the upside got offered a intercooler today that's just right , thinking about cutting in a type 25 top engine hatch into the luggage floor and dropping the cooler in next to the box  Wink
May even raise the whole floor while I'm at it for a bit more room for go faster bits  Undecided

Cutting a hole in the luggage floor is a really good idea, and one I'll certainly do in my cars. Why the factory ever deleted that feature I don't know... Huh I don't think I'd use a T25 hatch though - they're pretty heavy! I think I'll make something out of a donor section of luggage floor, maybe with a simple frame welded round the edge, or just a folded edge like in our split bugs.

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 18:50:59 pm »

Yeah got to look into a bit more yet , type 25 was just an idea , still got to get my head around what Im gonna use In the engine plumbing dept before I crack open the mig  Wink

13.03 @ 98mph
tikimadness

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 20:21:53 pm »

Just cheat & throw away most of the shell like I did, it'll be done in no time.. Wink

Cheers,
Kev

That's what I would do single skin it put a big motor in it and paint it yellow Grin Grin

Looks like a lot of work 49rag
Ah at least we have another topic to read Wink

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 20:46:53 pm »

That's what I would do single skin it put a big motor in it and paint it yellow Grin Grin

Michael
[/quote]

LOL  Grin Cool

13.03 @ 98mph
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 21:45:59 pm »

Cheers,
Kev

Looks like a lot of work 49rag
Ah at least we have another topic to read Wink

Michael

Michael it Beige not Yellow. Cheesy

Hahaha your killing me.........
tikimadness

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 21:54:47 pm »

Sorry my bad Grin

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 13:02:11 pm »

Just read this bit again Glenn - 1302 pan halves are different to torsion bar cars apparently - shame because I've got a really good 1303 pan at the unit too... They're wider at the front, where the heater channels kick in just in front of the doors.

The halves are the same for torsion and 1302/irs, 73- 1303 have a deeper area where the seats mount but the profile is the same Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 14:56:11 pm »

Cutting a hole in the luggage floor is a really good idea, and one I'll certainly do in my cars. Why the factory ever deleted that feature I don't know... Huh I don't think I'd use a T25 hatch though - they're pretty heavy! I think I'll make something out of a donor section of luggage floor, maybe with a simple frame welded round the edge, or just a folded edge like in our split bugs.

Glenn, I may have a spare panel like the one i have fitted, it's from a Brazillian Kombi

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: