The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 16:21:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  In-n-Out Burgers & Steak 'n Stein Inn
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: In-n-Out Burgers & Steak 'n Stein Inn  (Read 17665 times)
johnl

« on: February 05, 2010, 21:41:18 pm »

Last night on our local PBS station Hewell Howser did a one hour program on the history of In-n-Out Burgers.  This was done at their headquarters which has never been available to the public before.  It was very informative and I highly recommend watching it if you can.  Be sure to check your local listings. 

For you folks out of the area or don’t know what these places are all about you are missing some great food.  If you are ever in SoCal, Arizona, Nevada or Utah be sure to look for a location.  Here is a link on this:  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-5QG37Ekm9c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-5QG37Ekm9c</a>

While watching this I got to thinking about a place myself and others have written about on this forum.  Steak ‘n Stein Inn opened in 1946, two years prior to In-n-Out and are also still there. 

Years ago, 1978 to be exact we were given a menu from the place mounted on wood as they all are and have displayed it in our home since then.  I brought it in a copied it to share with you. 

Not the prices which were up there in 1978 seem really a bargain in today’s world.  I’ve also included their web page so you can see what you get today.  Bit of a difference.
http://www.clearmansrestaurants.com/steaknstein/

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
ESH

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 22:19:09 pm »

If you could video it and stick it in the mail along with a burger that would be great!  Cool

(Whilst watching the drags but thinking about something else...)

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 02:59:05 am »

Awesome shot, Mat!  Might just become my new desktop.

I'm a fan of In N Out, even though I'm on the east coast.  In fact I'm way overdue for a fix!   Undecided

Mike H.

Sven was right.
kingsburgphil

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 04:08:13 am »

Why do I have a sudden craving for a Double Double?  Grin Grin
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 04:10:32 am »

I'm a fan of In N Out, even though I'm on the east coast.  In fact I'm way overdue for a fix!   Undecided

Mike,
You fly I'll buy Grin
javabug

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 15:44:40 pm »

You're on!   Grin

Won't be this year, but gonna try and make a trip next year hopefully.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 18:30:36 pm »

Yeah, Mike... get out here. I'll buy the real ice cream shake if Dave's covering the burger.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Chris Andrews - The Mailman

Gaelic lineage with Yankee blood

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 20:48:30 pm »

It looks like I am one of the minority about In N Out Burger. Personally, I dislike their food. I cannot stomach their greasy nasty burgers. Their 4 by 4 is a heart attack on a bun. My favorite burger joint was Flakey Jake's off of Katella & the 5 freeway. Poor (or cunning) management forced them to close their doors. As a distant alternative, when they have decent discounts, my wife & kids go to Fuddruckers www.fuddruckers.com. I have posted this response to inform those who are not from the Southern California region, that there are indeed quality alternatives to In N Out Burger.

Bon Appétit

The Mailman

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look
at.....how many want in.......and how many want to get out."
-Prime Minister Tony Blair of Great Britain

"...Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth."
-Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg Address, November 19, 1863

"A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."
- George William Curtis

"Good fences make good neighbors."
- Robert Frost, The Mending Wall - 1914
Rennsurfer

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 21:09:40 pm »

Fuddrucker's isn't bad. Too expensive, like you said.

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 13:56:27 pm »

I have friends who feel the same about IN N OUT... no biggie. I've eaten at Fuddruckers for years... love it. My Niece works at the one in Lakewood, dig their burgers-- always have.

Another one of my favorites it Fatburger. It's a heart attack... I admit it.

Personally, I never said IN N OUT was the best burger... but the company is known for high standards and morals, they don't franchise, they hire quality employees who they pay pretty decent for fast food, and I've never had bad food there. Plus, for me it's the good times I've associated with IN N OUT over the years...

Besides, I  make the best burger Grin

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 19:27:53 pm »

[size=10

I have friends who feel the same about IN N OUT... no biggie. I've eaten at Fuddruckers for years... love it. My Niece works at the one in Lakewood, dig their burgers-- always have.

Personally, I never said IN N OUT was the best burger... but the company is known for high standards and morals, they don't franchise, they hire quality employees who they pay pretty decent for fast food, and I've never had bad food there. Plus, for me it's the good times I've associated with IN N OUT over the years...

Dave,

I did not mean to offend. Just posted my observation (cough... opinion, and we know that Everyone has one). I acknowledge good times associated with events. Like tire smoke I associate with my brother Mike (my he rest in peace) and trips to OCIR in 1968/69 with him and my cousin Matt, to watch Mike's '68 Barracuda wax Matt's Ford Maverick.

Dave, I agree that there is nothing like a home made burger.

Good Times

The Mailman

"...Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth."

"A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."
- George William Curtis

javabug

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 20:40:46 pm »

... but the company is known for high standards and morals, they don't franchise, they hire quality employees who they pay pretty decent for fast food

In my opinion the difference this makes is notable, and is part of the reason I am a fan.  About the closest thing to In N Out that we have out here is Five Guys, but they're spreading westward pretty quickly.  I wouldn't be surprised if you see them in a couple years.  Limited menu, and they're good at what they do.

Something else I noticed the few times I was visiting SoCal, is the privateer burger joints that are still popular out there.  Nicks, Imperial Burger, and tons of others I don't know.  Places such as these are extremely rare out my way, and that's a bummer because I find them enjoyable.  Supporting the small guy, great cruise-in location, usually better food than mega-chain places...just another thing you west coasters should not take for granted!

Wink Grin

Not a good idea to get me started on burger philosophy.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
ESH

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 21:10:41 pm »

...I'm a fan of In N Out ...

... In fact I'm way overdue for a fix! ...

I can relate to that.

... Not a good idea to get me started on burger philosophy ...

Cheesy  Shocked
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 00:31:27 am »

[size=10

Dave,

I did not mean to offend. Just posted my observation (cough... opinion, and we know that Everyone has one). I acknowledge good times associated with events. Like tire smoke I associate with my brother Mike (my he rest in peace) and trips to OCIR in 1968/69 with him and my cousin Matt, to watch Mike's '68 Barracuda wax Matt's Ford Maverick.

Dave, I agree that there is nothing like a home made burger.

Good Times

The Mailman

No offence taken Chris-- none at all!

Part of the problem with conversations on line Grin

Sorry if I sounded PO'd Wink

~DR
Tony M

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 21:22:16 pm »

Just happened to have a IN and OUT today for lunch. Customer had a bunch of free coupons, she gave me a hand full of them.

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
johnl

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 22:01:40 pm »

Just happened to have a IN and OUT today for lunch. Customer had a bunch of free coupons, she gave me a hand full of them.

So, how was it and what did you have?Huh   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 01:01:55 am »

So, how was it and what did you have?Huh   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
                                                                                John, have you been the In and Out on the Moon?

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 02:32:15 am »

Faked in a Hollyweird studio.

~Sarge
Fiatdude

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 05:35:59 am »

The Best Burger -- Hands down the Zorba Burger at Zorba's in Highgrove on Iowa Street (a little community between San Berdo and Riverside) Near Carcraft.  A zorba with an order of Onion Rings -- Just might have to go tomorrow for a fix

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 06:10:33 am »

The Best Burger -- Hands down the Zorba Burger at Zorba's in Highgrove on Iowa Street (a little community between San Berdo and Riverside) Near Carcraft.  A zorba with an order of Onion Rings -- Just might have to go tomorrow for a fix

Harold,

I'll Google Zorba's. I'm not too far from Lee Leighton's, Jon Rue's & Fumio Fukaya's shops.

Perhaps we'll meet there one day, grind on some of Zorba's finest burgers and shoot the breeze?

Chris Andrews - The (unarmed... ) Mailman

UPDATE:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=5409637729668421938&q=Zorba+Burger+Highgrove,+CA&hl=en&cd=1&cad=src:pplink&ei=-O5wS-bdDKf2iwPf9LWcBg
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 06:16:05 am by Chris Andrews » Logged

- George William Curtis

johnl

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 16:57:35 pm »

So, how was it and what did you have?Huh   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

John, I haven't, but I hear the line is rather short.   Shocked Shocked Shocked

Tony M

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 19:49:14 pm »

I had a DD w/grilled onions, animal style, some fries, and a coke. Got back to the shop and had a nice nap  Wink

johnl

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 20:50:12 pm »

I had a DD w/grilled onions, animal style, some fries, and a coke. Got back to the shop and had a nice nap  Wink

Love those "Animal" Burgers.  Ever tried "Animal" fries??   Huh

Tony M

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 21:43:13 pm »

Yes i have, not my cup of tea, i like the normal fries better. But if someone is buying, i'll eat everything  Cheesy

johnl

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 22:58:07 pm »

Yes i have, not my cup of tea, i like the normal fries better. But if someone is buying, i'll eat everything  Cheesy

Of course it is not your cup of tea.  They are fries .   Grin Grin Grin  Just kidding.  I tried them once and they were good, but about an hour later I wasn't feeling that great.  I love Thousand Island Dressing and grilled onions, but it may be just a bit much for my old digestive system.

Jeez, maybe I'll have to go there for dinner tonight as I'm drooling.  Opps, that is just old age...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Tony M

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 00:03:06 am »

I'm going to hold off for a few weeks, trying to cut down on the junk food. When you get to that half century mark, things dont work the same as they did then we were young studs  Grin

Fiatdude

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 01:03:18 am »

When I do that -- the final word usually starts with a 'CR'

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Fiatdude

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 01:07:39 am »

Chris -- Lloyd is over there -- the Tims -- my buds at web cam -- and many many more -- -- Differently a little enclave  of VW people there in that Area

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Rennsurfer

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 01:16:21 am »

Today worked out rather nicely... worked in Laguna Hills and ate at the In-N-Out at El Toro Rd. & the 5 frwy. for lunch after we were done at Saddlleback Memorial Hospital. Double-Double w/everything + pickles and onions, fries, and a chocolate shake. Mmmmmmmmmmm, good. I'm not a big red meat eater, but I gotta have one from there every once in awhile.

~Sarge
johnl

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 17:07:56 pm »

Today worked out rather nicely... worked in Laguna Hills and ate at the In-N-Out at El Toro Rd. & the 5 frwy. for lunch after we were done at Saddlleback Memorial Hospital. Double-Double w/everything + pickles and onions, fries, and a chocolate shake. Mmmmmmmmmmm, good. I'm not a big red meat eater, but I gotta have one from there every once in awhile.

I talked myself into it.  Last night we went to the In-n-Out in Anaheim, corner of Orange and Brookhurst.  Had a DD Animal with fries and a Coke.  Gooooooooooooooooood and I feel much better for it.   Grin Grin Grin

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: