The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 19:19:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350866 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Update on 2nd Genration 2303cc motor build- FINALLY
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Update on 2nd Genration 2303cc motor build- FINALLY  (Read 15773 times)
DKK Ted
DKK

« on: March 02, 2010, 07:37:03 am »

Well, after a long wait on my heads, I decided to run my back up heads. When I get my new heads, they will go on. Just could not wait no longer. Will be enjoying my new power soon!  Wink  Grin

Specs:
DPR 83mm crank
Jet Rods
Wisco Pistons-94mm
JC Liners-94mm
86C cam
Berg 1.4 rocker (thanks Harold)
Perf. Tech. V-7's 44X37 freshen up by JD
IDA's on Skat-Trak mainfolds
MSD Dis.
JC push rods and tubes
My list goes on, but there are the basic's.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:51:35 am by racecraf » Logged

VW Classic 2012
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 07:39:26 am »

More pics......

kinda out of order... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:41:29 am by racecraf » Logged

VW Classic 2012
fredy66

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:43:49 am »

sweat man I'm envy

arabia slugs
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 05:01:05 am »

I want those rods... Very nice parts.

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 05:50:19 am »

I'm diggin the pulley .....!!! Nice Santana !...... Shocked

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:44:07 am »

I want those rods... Very nice parts.
Hey Bill, ya the Jet rods I picked up when I was Berg's, and you know Mark, went the extra mile and clearanced and polished them up pretty good. the parts are nice, but will it perform, that is the main thing. Going to Jack's shop tomorrow and will talk to him about a time to DYNO! That will be the big test. I only have this weekend and next Sat. before Drag Day, I hoping to be there with the new motor in. Will see.
The Santana pulley I picked up from Mike H. a couple years back, NOS in a box. It took alot of should I or shouldn't I, will as you can see, I did. It's kinda cool, old school.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 06:49:59 am »

Hey Kaferdog, You were with me when I got it from Mike!  Wink  Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 17:52:22 pm »

I think it will go!
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 18:00:44 pm »

Great stuff.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Tim Walton

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 22:53:37 pm »

Cool Ted
Finally get'n her done.
PS Thanks for the kind words last week.

Tim

Tim's Toy
Der Kleiner Panzers
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 00:01:44 am »

Thanks guy's for the support, Yup, finally. Just trying to get it in for a dyno now, that will be the big test and then in the car.  Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 22:23:05 pm »

Well here we are Friday, and the motor is ready, except for a sump plate which I'm picking up today if it's done, if not a stocker is going on for now, and then a journey to JC shop tonight or tomorrow. Depends on scheduling. Am I nervous? Hell ya! But excited too. But like Bill S. said on another post what Jack said..It's only metal. But I think this hunk of metal will work, will see. Will post later with the results, hopfully good. Below is the finish hunk of metal.  Grin

Ted
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 22:26:39 pm by racecraf » Logged

VW Classic 2012
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 22:31:01 pm »

"WOW"......It's a Purdy Hunk-O-Metal.....!!!..... Shocked

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Jim Ratto

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 22:51:29 pm »

cool.... go burn the dyno down Ted! let us know how she does.  Cool
Rick Sadler

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 23:17:00 pm »

Very nice looking Ted. Be sure and post the results.

Der Kleiner Panzers
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 06:45:15 am »

A little update, no dyno till Monday, the dyno that was scheduled for Sat. switched to Sunday, so that moved me to Monday. So I'm there Monday morning. Motor is already at Jacks ready to be loaded up on the dyno. Already pulled the existing motor out of the car, finished installing the Kafer Bar in, need to do a little wiring for the MSD and temp gage and will be ready to install the new motor, being the dyno turns out ok. Getting closer! And getting Nervous!  Undecided

Ted

VW Classic 2012
streetvw

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 10:23:07 am »

there is nothing quite like standin near to a motor you have built yourself while it on a full pull at 6000rpm you really start to think about every nut and bolt that you touched Shocked and about the torque settings you used Wink
I had my 1776 dynoed and John Maher's shop in Manchester 15 years ago and the sound of my engine under heavy load is something that stays with me even today so much loader that reving it in the car, but the info gained from that day helped me make the most of my motor on the strip.

have fun Ted i'm sure it will make you proud when you get the final figures at the end of the day
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 02:54:06 am »

Looks good Ted!
A friend and I were talking Friday night, about doing the same thing - not venting the 3/4 side valve cover, and pull it out of the fuel pump hole to a berg breather.
I'm going to run a drainback to the sump though.

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
Chris W

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 03:13:31 am »

That's a great looking engine!
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 16:13:40 pm »

Is that your new 1915? Looks good!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 16:40:41 pm »

No thats Ted's motor - I just quoted his pics for reference.

I'm just short the exhaust now.

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 17:04:03 pm »

Looks good Ted!
A friend and I were talking Friday night, about doing the same thing - not venting the 3/4 side valve cover, and pull it out of the fuel pump hole to a berg breather.
I'm going to run a drainback to the sump though.

Well will be leaving for the dyno in a bit, first I want to say thanks for all the kind words and encouragement, will post the results when I get back.

OgCalLook, what I did was have Berg build me a breather with a #10 to breath from the block off, and a #8 for the valve cover, should work well, well see at the dyno.

Well here we go!  Grin

VW Classic 2012
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 21:17:57 pm »

No thats Ted's motor - I just quoted his pics for reference.

I'm just short the exhaust now.

Duh Roll Eyes That's what I get for clicking on the "new" tab and not looking through the whole post!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 23:34:41 pm »

Good luck Ted!

Hope your day turns out good!!

(BTW, doggone nice engine you got there!)

~Dave
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 07:26:13 am »

THE RESULTS...........It was a long day, but well worth it. Motor ran very well, after setting it up, breaking the cam in, making some adjustments with the help of Dave who works @ Jack's, he's also race's Super Street. Anyway, we started, @ 6500 RPM we got 182HP, @ 5500 RPM we got 165LB's of torque. It dropped @ 6500 to 145LB's of torque. All-in-all was still very good, in Jacks words, "did not skip a beat" Idles @ 1000 RPM, very responsive. In the process we had made some jet changes and more timing.

Like to take this time to do my thank you's. First my wife who puts up with this hobby, but also supports me, my good friend Randy (Kaferdog) for all his help, Jeff Deham for freshening up my heads, Gean Berg Ent. for parts, Mark V. for his advise, V-Dub parts for parts, and a big thank you to Jack Sachette, for parts and his expertise on the dyno and advise.
Like to thank you guy's again for your support and kind words. Now it's the matter of getting the motor back home and in the car. It'll be close but I think I'll make it with work and all. Did take some video, once I figure out how to get it down loaded, I'll get it posted.

Ted
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:42:39 am by racecraf » Logged

VW Classic 2012
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 08:23:28 am »

Congratz Ted!!! I know this engine has been a long haul for you, but this sort of caliper takes time. Those are really good dyno figures! I can see why this engine would be responsive ; due to in part from the Jet rods. Can't wait to see this monster in your car and hear ya terrorizing your local streets by enjoying a V8 now and then.  Grin   Enjoy!  Happy for ya dude!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:44:15 am by vdubkid » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 10:07:35 am »

THE RESULTS...........It was a long day, but well worth it. Motor ran very well, after setting it up, breaking the cam in, making some adjustments with the help of Dave who works @ Jack's, he's also race's Super Street. Anyway, we started, @ 6500 RPM we got 182HP, @ 5500 RPM we got 165LB's of torque. It dropped @ 6500 to 145LB's of torque. All-in-all was still very good, in Jacks words, "did not skip a beat" Idles @ 1000 RPM, very responsive. In the process we had made some jet changes and more timing.

Like to take this time to do my thank you's. First my wife who puts up with this hobby, but also supports me, my good friend Randy (Kaferdog) for all his help, Jeff Deham for freshening up my heads, Gean Berg Ent. for parts, Mark V. for his advise, V-Dub parts for parts, and a big thank you to Jack Sachette, for parts and his expertise on the dyno.
Like to thank you guy's again for your support and kind words. Now it's the matter of getting the motor back home and in the car. It'll be close but I think I'll make it with work and all. Did take some video, once I figure out how to get it down loaded, I'll get it posted.

Ted
Hey Anytime buddie ...!! Now It's "One Down" and "One to Go"...!....We'll get the motor back home in time for Drag Day....!

OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 14:51:58 pm »

Congrats Ted!!  Nice numbers.

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

ugly duckling

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 03:00:38 am »

congrats on a job well done ted.   UD .

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 03:15:42 am »

Thanks guys, here is a short video of one of the pulls, not the best video.

Ted

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/b2mrTqCHfr4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/b2mrTqCHfr4</a>
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:43:49 am by racecraf » Logged

VW Classic 2012
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: