The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 15:45:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Running Boards...?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Running Boards...?  (Read 6346 times)
Kaferdog
DKK

« on: April 02, 2010, 19:05:25 pm »

Getting ready to pick-up some running boards for my 67.......Who has the best fitting and best quality running boards here in So Cal...?

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 19:38:10 pm »

Wolfsburg west, There a bit more but nice.Get them disassembled and put them together yourself. They do not glue the rubber to the running board, I got a can of 3M contact cement and sprayed rubber and running board first, Then assembled.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Bruce

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 19:41:29 pm »

Why do you need to glue the rubber down?
Dan Mazur

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 20:33:41 pm »

Randy, most likely the RB's aren't assembled completely, or the Rubber pads are'nt mounted properly at the factory.

From what I've come to understand through Tod's trials and tribulations. Wolfsberg West sells the best of all manufactured RB's. That's not saying they really are the best. That's just saying they're the best of all RB's sold at this time.

Remember, your rubber pads will be subject to sun light and weather. They don't last as long as you'd expect.

I too will need a set once my car is painted.

Dan

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 03:16:16 am »

Why do you need to glue the rubber down?
For me it was two reasons, 1st to keep any moisture out from between the rubber and running boards. 2nd just so the rubber is tight all along the edges.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Chris W

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 04:41:42 am »

I agree on ww also. I have had 2 sets and they have been great.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 06:44:27 am »

Mine are from Bill and Steves in Downey. Quite often Steve gets Mexican VW Boards, might call and check if he has any right now they are very thick and fit good

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 06:46:57 am »

Wolfsburg west, There a bit more but nice.Get them disassembled and put them together yourself. They do not glue the rubber to the running board, I got a can of 3M contact cement and sprayed rubber and running board first, Then assembled.
Would that be the same advice if i am planning to recover my originals? In other words, do the WW rubbers fit the stock RB's good after they're stipped and painted?
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 06:48:14 am »

WTF Randy! Just the buy the good old Empi ones, there an 1/8 of what WW cost, use them, they go bad, pull them off, buy a new set, there through aways!   Shocked Roll Eyes Grin JUST kidding, WW is they way to go, like Gene Berg say's, cry once, but you get what you pay for, quality. How about West Cost Metric, arn't they also good? I think I bought mine from Obsolete Parts when they were in business, but they were German, so they said. Good idea Danny about gluing them in, seals them from the moisture, and that's a plus.Talk ta ya bud!

Ted

VW Classic 2012
lawrence

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 08:16:28 am »

Try http://www.oeveedub.com/. I have their runningboards on my car. Quality stuff.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 19:31:15 pm »

Very Kool...Thanks Guys ....I know where to get them for sure now !!!...I had my eye on Wolfsburg West just wanted to make sure !!

Many Thanks ........... Grin Grin

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 23:31:31 pm »

WW most definitely. I put a set on AssHull's '67, well worth the $200 or so.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Donny B.

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 05:26:58 am »

I remember when the old club went to the Jamboree in about '89 we were in our '77 bus and we hit Small Car Specialties and I picked up two pair of German running boards for less that $100.  I still have them both though one of them is on my '66.  Those were the days....

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 07:03:27 am »

I was stunned about a year ago when I went to my local VW dealership and was able to buy a pair of German running boards.
However, the price wasn't as nice as the old days !
pupjoint

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 14:43:00 pm »

just a thought, anybody making the running boards from SS or aluminium, powdercoated black and buy the top rubber from WW and stick on?
youngnstudly

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 18:49:32 pm »

Does anybody know whether the WW top rubber has any holes for mouldings or not? I'd love to recover some running boards (German originals) but leave the mouldings off completely.

Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 21:43:08 pm »

Randy, according to the WW web-site, there out of stock. Must be pretty good for them to be out of stock.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
stealth67vw

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 22:50:55 pm »

Try http://www.oeveedub.com/. I have their runningboards on my car. Quality stuff.
X2. Very nice original like quality and made in Germany.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 06:52:27 am »

Randy, according to the WW web-site, there out of stock. Must be pretty good for them to be out of stock.

Ted
X2. Very nice original like quality and made in Germany.
Hmmm ......I May have a change of Plans...... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Tobi/DFL

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 08:08:36 am »

just a thought, anybody making the running boards from SS or aluminium, powdercoated black and buy the top rubber from WW and stick on?

Hi pupjoint,

yes those are available in germany. The running boards are handmade from 1.4301 stainless steel by Norbert Bruns (http://www.kaefervwrostfrei.de/). The quality and fit is superb. I use the them since 11 years with original VW rubber (which is also available from him - hecho en Mexico).
Unfortunately there is no english translated website but the running boards you are asking for are listed under "Trittbretter" on the left-hand menue. The third version listed are stainless steel running boards powdercoated black for use with stock rubber.
There are even versions available for split bugs with a reinforcement on the underside of the running boards. Also available are reproduction rubbers for ovals and splits.
I donīt know if he is sending worldwide but but if you are interested and he wonīt send to foreign countries just send me a pm and I will gladly try to help!
Bye,

Tobi
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 17:12:27 pm »

Does anybody know whether the WW top rubber has any holes for mouldings or not? I'd love to recover some running boards (German originals) but leave the mouldings off completely.

Andy

There are no holes.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
youngnstudly

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 00:10:32 am »

Cool, thanks Zach.

Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
Gary Justus

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 00:18:53 am »

I remember when the old club went to the Jamboree in about '89 we were in our '77 bus and we hit Small Car Specialties and I picked up two pair of German running boards for less that $100.  I still have them both though one of them is on my '66.  Those were the days....
Yup,,,Those days were when you could always get good,,or bad, stuff at any place you went. WW is is great stuff w/good service. I spent many hours and $$ at SCS. Anyway,,,,WW.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: