The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 05:48:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Engle lifters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Engle lifters?  (Read 4928 times)
Duck

« on: April 02, 2010, 20:42:39 pm »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=926039

Currently gathering parts for my 2110 build and saw this ad for Engle cam and lifter kit, seems value for money but know nothing about engles own lifters.
Anyone on here used them and rate them or do i stick to Scats?

Cheers
Mark
richie

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 22:48:07 pm »

I am just about to use them,putting my engine together next week with them,it will see dyno time then maybe a test n tune then we are going to take it apart and check them,not much street milage is likely though,will be abused hard though

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 22:54:24 pm »

is there still a problem with scats?  I have a set in my box of bits which is just about to be assembled, they are a few years old.  Should i change them?

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
bugnut68

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 01:01:12 am »

I've heard nothing but bad news about Scat's lifters through the years.  I have no idea if whatever was wrong with them has improved, but I know there was a lot of issues for a real long time with them pitting.
richie

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 01:50:08 am »

is there still a problem with scats?  I have a set in my box of bits which is just about to be assembled, they are a few years old.  Should i change them?

I havent had a problem with the regular lube a lobes for about 7 years now,how old are they?

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Donny B.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 03:22:34 am »

For me nothing but Udo Becker lifters.  I am getting ready to buy another set for my spare motor.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 08:42:08 am »

I havent had a problem with the regular lube a lobes for about 7 years now,how old are they?

cheers richie

they must be 2-3 yrs old, but I might be looking at using a set of genuine porsche Austria followers.  Waiting on JC to come back from California as he's building it.

Duck

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 17:47:15 pm »

I think for the money i'll give them a go, as for the Scats the ones that just came from my motor dont look too bad for 7 years old but not worth trying to rescue.
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 22:40:09 pm »

Aren't Engle lifters made by Mahle? Mahles are used by Berg so they should be ok.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 19:05:18 pm »

I am about to use the following.

Pieper German lifters.......... 53gms, hi-quality original super vee lifters.
 or
Porsche RS Austria 51gms lifters

not cheap but best to only do it once.

nicolas

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 19:13:36 pm »

cam and lifters should be compatible.
if not bad things will happen (no matter what cam or lifters you use).

as for engle lifters on a engle cam. i think it must be good, unless (highly unlikely) engle wants to sell a lot of cams quickly and then not sell a single one afterwards...
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 15:32:02 pm »

Years back, during the whole discussion on lifters going away, most were setting on metalurgical discussions when in fact OIL and OIL ADDITIVES have a great deal to do with the longevity of flat tappet cams. Since that time, LUCAS OIL and many other companies are selling oil additives with ZINC (in the right quantities) to help with cam break in and wear.

I have only had one cam go flat in 40 years and I think it was more about the oiling, correct grind on the face of the lifter and type of oil than anything else.  I use SLR lifters exclusively in my motors now.  I agree that ENGLE would not stay in business if they sold parts that did not work.  Keep in mind they grind cams for most domestic motors and not just VWs.  They have been around over 50 years...so start looking more at the oil and what is in it, the lifter face, the lifter shank (which goes into the lifter bore and your oiling in the case. 

If you have the money, UDO BECKER tool steel lifters are nice too.  Keep in mind that the tool steel lifters can be harder than the cam and if the oiling is off, valve train geometry is off, spring rates are high and you live at 7,000+ rpms all the time,  you can still flatten a cam.

Again, I did not buy in to all the cam discussions on bad lifters when it first started. These manufacturers would not stay in business if they continued to sell things that do not work.  When I made sure I used oil that had the right amount of ZINC in it and all other things were done properly, I just do not have cam issues.

Rick M
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 19:21:14 pm by rick m » Logged

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 20:39:03 pm »

IMHO you are very much "on" with the oil issue. WRT the Engle lifters. The only "problem" I see with them is that they are heavy from what I have seen. Over 100 grams. (If I´m wrong about the weight these days I take that back) I second the SLR reground lifters. Have never experienced a problem with those. I also use a lot of CB 78 gram lifters, and have nothing but good to say about those, - UNLESS you are building a 8500+ rpm race thang. Then I would consider using a one piece SLR reground and have the extra weight. Reason, security. I do not want to loose a clip at 8500 rpm. I´m not saying they do come out. I just dont want the risk.
T
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 19:23:35 pm »

There are oils today that have the right amount of ZINC in them for our motors.  I know that many people I know run the BRAD PENN oil for this reason.  If you check  around, there are still oils available for flat tappet type cams. A lot of V8 guys still run solids or flat tappet cams, so the right oils are available.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
fredy66

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 11:31:30 am »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=926039

Currently gathering parts for my 2110 build and saw this ad for Engle cam and lifter kit, seems value for money but know nothing about engles own lifters.
Anyone on here used them and rate them or do i stick to Scats?

Cheers
Mark

any news on this ones ??
can i get them in eu thanks

arabia slugs
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: