The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 14:29:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350838 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Bug-In or Not?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Bug-In or Not?  (Read 35330 times)
deano

« on: April 19, 2010, 15:17:16 pm »

As many you probably know, Keith Seume and Russell Ritchie have shipped their cars, including Tar Babe, to California for the up-coming Bug-In next weekend (May 1-2)... But, while the cars are now in southern California... what about Keith and Russell? With the current air space closure for much of international travel due to the volcano in Iceland, it is possible that both of them might not be able to join their cars for this famous event and reunion. Imagine if you had shiped your pride and joy across the globe and not be able to enjoy it for the event you planned for so long ago? Not to mention the $$$. All eyes are on the volcano and the ash that is preventing international air travel....Just FYI.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:59:12 am by deano » Logged

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
flatfire

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 15:41:21 pm »

Its a major bummer. You think you have everything covered but we are reminded that we are mere mortals.
You never know what can happen in the coming days lets hope the skies clear and they realise their dreams.
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 15:42:32 pm »

Is it possible to take a train into France then fly out of another part of Europe?

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 15:43:48 pm »

The're still flying from spain  Wink

good luck guys, hope you get there

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 15:49:36 pm »

I wonder if  when they finally allow flights again, there will be so many people trying to fly, it will be impossible to get a ticket for quite awhile.
 Cry
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 15:58:26 pm »

well the ash cloud is now on the northern tip of Canada, but Spain is the current best bet.  There is a big argument about how bad the ash is, hopefully it will be resolved asap.

Fingers crossed guys.

But what i can't get my head round is why the next F1 race in Japan is cancelled, they are currently in China and the races are only a week apart, surely you can just leave everything out there, and lorry/boat/air the remaining bits over?

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 16:03:42 pm »

News Flash

Scottish airspace is due to reopen on Tuesday, but flight restrictions will remain in place for most of the UK.

The air traffic control body, Nats, said from 0700 BST on Tuesday Scottish airspace south to a line between Teesside and Blackpool will reopen.

It added that mainland Scottish airports would be open.

Nats said restrictions to airspace above England and Wales could be lifted later on Tuesday if the volcanic ash cloud continued to move away.

In a statement, Nats added: "Assuming there are no further significant ash emissions, we are now looking at a continuously improving situation.

"This is a dynamic and changing situation and is therefore difficult to forecast beyond 0700 local.

"However, the latest Met Office advice is that the contaminated area will continue to move south with the possibility that restrictions to airspace above England and Wales, including the London area, may be lifted later tomorrow."

Planes were first grounded in the UK at midday on Thursday amid fears particles in the ash cloud from Eyjafjallajoekull volcano could cause engines to shut down.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 16:10:48 pm »

the south of france , italy, spain is reopened too, They authoriize flights but until a certain height

i hope that will be OK for next week , i don' want to miss this event  Undecided
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 16:13:08 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 16:16:44 pm »

New fears that nearby Katla Volcano my errupt due to underground pressures from the first eruption.
May be as much as 100 times more powerful !
 Shocked
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2908548/iceland_volcano_news_update_no_sign.html?cat=16
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 16:18:45 pm by Richard Roth » Logged
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 16:37:09 pm »

Russell and I had long talks this morning. For me, thinking about going to Spain etc is not an option – there is no way I can afford ($$$$) to do anything like that. My only hope is that I can get out there in time when flying does resume BUT for me another big problem is that I have to get back to the UK on Tuesday/Wednesday after Bug-In because of the production schedules of the four magazines I work on. Unless Virgin could guarantee that, I can't risk it.

Fingers crossed, but I'm not very hopeful to be honest…

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Zündfunke

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 17:12:21 pm »

I was thinkin of a lot of guys like you sitting somwhere around the world waiting for a plain.
That´s insane how much money this breakdown is costing ... not only for buisness people and companies.

Fingers crossed, hope you guys will make it there!

BURN OUT Syndrom
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 17:36:31 pm »

Russell and I had long talks this morning. For me, thinking about going to Spain etc is not an option – there is no way I can afford ($$$$) to do anything like that. My only hope is that I can get out there in time when flying does resume BUT for me another big problem is that I have to get back to the UK on Tuesday/Wednesday after Bug-In because of the production schedules of the four magazines I work on. Unless Virgin could guarantee that, I can't risk it.

Fingers crossed, but I'm not very hopeful to be honest…

same for me I will leave on 22 of april  for LAX from paris
but I will take only if I am sure to get back in time for my work at restaurant
I know too that madfrog couldn't get his flight yesterday
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 19:05:59 pm »

I think anybody that is booked to fly out in 3-4 days time will be fine.  You cannot be booted off, its the ones who have already had their flights cancelled that are in difficulty.

I wish everybody all the luck in the world especially you Keith, a dream to drive your own car at a DKP event and then bug-in.  Awesome.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 19:19:16 pm »

Thanks Lids.  Smiley

I agree, it is starting to look a little more positive. This morning, I was about ready to slit my wrists. My flights are confirmed and I have my visa etc, so here's hoping.

US Customs still hold the car and tonight have asked for copies of all my paperwork (again!). Bl**dy hell, I thought European bureaucracy was bad! Shocked

OK, and breathe… Roll Eyes

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 19:29:07 pm »

just watching the info on TV , and they talk about starting again flights step by step , but at first to repatriate the peoples being abroad

here's what i found on the national info channel

Great Britain: the air space will be gradually opened again on Tuesday, at 07:00 am GMT for the Scotland. England and Wales will follow, if the meteo conditions allow it

France: the government announced the implementation of "air corridors" between Paris and the airports of the South of the country from Tuesday, 06 hour 00 GMT. Airport situated in the North of a line Nantes-Nice will be partially reopened

Netherlands: air space has to reopen on Monday evening. The KLM airline company announced to have made unstick on Monday at 10:45 am a not commercial flight of Amsterdam-Schiphol to Paris-Charles-de-Gaulle, with on board only the staff asked to pilot the plane. The plane landed indeed

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 20:29:01 pm »

I keep my fingers crossed
I check AIRFRANCE website and my flight is not canceled  Tongue
madfrog

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 22:08:54 pm »

I am making another attempt and hopefully I will be in So cal next sunday  Huh

If it fails again , I will not try further , fingers crossed Wink

madfrog

Moderation, even in moderation.
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 22:55:55 pm »

I am making another attempt and hopefully I will be in So cal next sunday  Huh

If it fails again , I will not try further , fingers crossed Wink

madfrog

good luck dude
Russell

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 23:20:56 pm »

Thanks Lids.  Smiley

This morning, I was about ready to slit my wrists.

Go on..... it could be any worse, whats another problem.....

To be honest, as long as its safe to fly I will try, today we were doing plans to pay off 4 staff at the end of the month if this diruption contiues, we have lost 32 jobs since friday because we cant get there , i have people stranded in Angola, Norway and Holland, staff on rigs who cant get home and a guy whos missed his wedding in Mexico at the weekend.......

Many Many people will suffer for this and its not there fault, if i dont get to LA, yip ill be disappointed but Ill get over it............ I hope !  Wink

My current worry is like Keith, do you go and get stuck in LA, now I no thats not bad but it would be expensive and then all the time trying to get home.....

Lets wait and see, tomorrows another day....

Best Regards

Russell
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 23:27:48 pm »

Like Russell stated, there might be a chance of getting stuck here. The National weather service says the cloud is heading South toward our East Coast. The whole thing is a big crap shoot day to day, depending on what the jet stream will allow people to do at any given moment. Russell, if you guys got stuck here, at least you'd have something fun to drive around in.

I also park at Nick's.
ugly duckling

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 00:47:58 am »

you know what to do next  Wink. HEAVE HO you guys need the excercize anywho. better get going now. dont hit any ICEBERGS on the way . youl make it . UD .

Jim Ratto

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 00:59:38 am »

cool avatar, Jeff.  Cool

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 01:11:05 am »

I would have thought Russell would have purchased a U-Boat and been well on his way by now !
 Grin
deano

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 03:17:56 am »

This has been brought up before, but what affect has this volcano had on Fed Ex and air mail?

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 04:01:47 am »

This has been brought up before, but what affect has this volcano had on Fed Ex and air mail?

"Businesses are also expected to lose money through cancelled meetings, stranded staff, and delays to air mail.

Productivity in the UK is expected to suffer due to workers being unable to return to work, according to the Centre for Economic and Business Research (CEBR).

Meanwhile, major courier companies FedEx, DHL and TNT have reported delays and disruption to their services. "

Source web site: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8629623.stm

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Russell

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 05:12:17 am »

John

I might get a house and stay, would'nt that be cool !

Best Regards

Russell
guillaume

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 12:45:01 pm »

No Bug-In for me this year, flight canceled :-( And no Classic week too :-( fucking volcano...
Tim C

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 14:30:27 pm »

But what i can't get my head round is why the next F1 race in Japan is cancelled, they are currently in China and the races are only a week apart, surely you can just leave everything out there, and lorry/boat/air the remaining bits over?

The MotoGP has been cancelled, not the F1.

JG54 Greenhearts
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 14:58:51 pm »

Suddenly not looking good again after a brief period of hope last night...  Bummer. Angry

Ivan

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 18:13:42 pm »

What a downer!
Two friends of mine are pilots with B.A. and when I was speaking with them the other day they said that it may not be back to normal anytime soon.
The media keep on saying it'll be O.K. tonight at 7pm or tomorrow at 1pm - but the last time I checked they didn't have control of the Volcano or the weather.
He also said this situation may put smaller airlines and related companies out of business. So the bigger picture is not good news.
Fingers crossed for a speedy end to all this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: