The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 12:38:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351108 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Legen Doug "UNDERDOG" Gordon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Legen Doug "UNDERDOG" Gordon  (Read 5368 times)
johnl

« on: April 19, 2010, 17:10:30 pm »

This past Saturday Christie, our long time friend and former Auto Haus employee Mike (Mikey) Olivieri drove to Montrose, CA and had dinner with Doug Gordon.  It seems that we are about the only DKP friends that Doug stays in contact with on a regular basis.  Our last get together was about 1.5 years ago.  At that time Ron Fleming, Jim Holmes, Jim (SARGE) and Sharon Edmiston, Doug & Kathy Haydon and Christie and myself met Doug for a lunch.  At that gathering it had been probably 20 years since he had seen some of us.

Doug has worked at JPL for 25 years and is heavily into photography as a hobby.  We've seen his work and it is impressive.  About 2.5 years ago Doug lost his left eye (the good one) to cancer.  The eye was removed and he has a replacement that moves with his working one.  He told us that the success for this to happen is less than 10%.  Unfortunately his functional eye is not good and he has difficulty in driving long distances.  Also, for years he has had bad knees and now uses a cain to assist.

The body is not what it once was and the hair and beard are now gray, but under all of that is the same Doug (THE MASS) that all of us knew and loved.  He has been out of the VW scene for some years, but when I should him some of Keith's books with those photos of him I saw a spark come to life.

He will not be able to attend some of the functions during the Bug-In due to the passing of his step father.  His mother is 89 and also not in good health, so he needs to devote his time and efforts to her which I think we all can understand.

I've attached some photos of our recent get together for your review.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 61 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2024

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 17:14:24 pm »

Another shot of the group.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 17:16:10 pm »

Little "Dougie" (I'm the only one that can get away with calling him that) and one of his favorite gals, Christie.

johnl

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 17:29:06 pm »

Well, I see I already SCREWED this up.  I can't even spell "LEGEND"..   Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed   This is what happens when you try to hurry..... Angry Angry Angry

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 17:40:16 pm »

We'll forgive you in light of a) your age and b) it's great to see Doug and Christie!  Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 17:42:36 pm »

Thanks for the report, John.  A good read!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
johnl

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 17:51:53 pm »

Here is another shot.  The MASS can still put a "death grip" on you ...   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

johnl

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 17:55:29 pm »

We'll forgive you in light of a) your age and b) it's great to see Doug and Christie!  Smiley

I knew if anyone had "forgiveness" it would be the BRIT.  Guess he's over loosing the war for America........ Wink Wink Wink

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 19:48:01 pm »

Family always comes first.
Looking forward to meeting you at the Bug-In Doug !
:-)
marc1951

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 20:02:23 pm »

Wow!!
It's great to see that "The Mass" is still around........and he's wearing shoes!! (Except when he was dressed in his business suit, I don't remember him ever wearing shoes...)  <grin>

thanks for sharing, John

Marc Buehler

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 16:43:36 pm »

Here is another shot.  The MASS can still put a "death grip" on you ...   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Hi John Great Pictures and Report it is really Funny to See Mike friend and former Auto Haus employee Mike (Mikey) Olivieri I worked with him for Years at the B.P. Store He sure looks Different with White Hair LOL and The Old Man Pants Hiked up LMAO is he still working at Don Steves Chevrolet? Dose he still have all his Cars? he was Great Guy to work with.. when you see him again tell him Hello From Me, tell him I will Have to Take him out for Lunch at Star Light Star Bright are old Stomping Ground's Grin Grin
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 16:47:41 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
johnl

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 20:53:41 pm »

Hi John Great Pictures and Report it is really Funny to See Mike friend and former Auto Haus employee Mike (Mikey) Olivieri I worked with him for Years at the B.P. Store He sure looks Different with White Hair LOL and The Old Man Pants Hiked up LMAO is he still working at Don Steves Chevrolet? Dose he still have all his Cars? he was Great Guy to work with.. when you see him again tell him Hello From Me, tell him I will Have to Take him out for Lunch at Star Light Star Bright are old Stomping Ground's Grin Grin
He is still at Don Steves and has only one car left.  I've sent your comments to his e-mail address.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Fritter

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 01:29:07 am »

Cool John. Would have been awesome to get Fleming, Gordon and the Underdog united again.

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Stan Davis

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 05:00:53 am »

NO WAY !  "The Mass" and John Lazenby ! hey guys...it's Stan....YO I've stumbled upon this forum and am trying to make contact with any one of "the old gang". It's only been about a thousand years !!!!
kingsburgphil

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 05:09:03 am »

NO WAY !  "The Mass" and John Lazenby ! hey guys...it's Stan....YO I've stumbled upon this forum and am trying to make contact with any one of "the old gang". It's only been about a thousand years !!!!

This can't be Stan Davis!  If so how do you spell your first name?

PM me with your response please.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:53:43 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: