The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 02:15:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  painting your engine bay
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: painting your engine bay  (Read 6265 times)
nicolas

« on: February 23, 2007, 19:58:16 pm »

ok here i it is

after paying way too much to the bodyrepairshop now over a year ago i want to do the inside of the enginebay. that has been worked on but never painted properly or even cleaned up decently.

so i always liked the black paint that was put in enginebays in the 70's. my enginetin is black so i will paint it all again myself. but what paint do i use? zolotone paint? does that stil exist? i like it , but what brand is it today over here in europe. i will need a couple of liters of that stuff.

thanks

and please show some nicely painted enginebays in this post if you like...

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 06:13:09 am »

Here are two of my cars from the 70's that had the engine compartment zolotoned black with gray specks just the firewall and side panels were done everything else was body color on the red 67 the inside of the deck lid was also done as well as the front hood
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 06:16:35 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Bryan67

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 07:07:28 am »

I wouldn`t do it. It looks cool but real paint is much more durable then that stuff.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 08:15:51 am »

Zolatone (sp?) is nearly impossible to clean! Oil gets into all those litte crevases and never comes out.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
nicolas

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 10:10:16 am »

it is pretty rough, isn't it? maybe a pain in the @ss to clean, but what are my options? what paint can i use, and most of all can i do it myself??? i am at this pointnot willing to pay the same amount of money to have both the front and back of my trunks painted.
it is a type 3 so maybe the engine bay alone? but i was thinking about doing the whole trunk both front and back.

maybe the best option is to have the trunks done in cloth or suede, but i am worried about fire in the trunk. i think i will go for a type1 engine setup later on so it might not be the best idea...

i have seen a notch from dkk with a 1776 engine and the bay was done in plaid. the engine had a turbo that was above the decklid so i guess it can be done. as i said before, this is not my first option, but maybe my best...

thanks and keep those ideas coming

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 10:14:57 am »

I did my engine bay and then used high resistant lacquer over the top, this helped get rid of most the bumps.  I used trunk paint from www.frost.co.uk

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 21:06:57 pm »

You Can Buy Zolotone  in Spray Cans from any G.M. Car Dealer its not thick like the paint stores sell its used in all G.M. Trunks as a finish it last a long time and its low Maint. As far as Oil?  Whos VW Leaks Oil?? Not Any of Mine and how would it ever get on the firewall? if it ever did You Have Much Bigger Problems to Worry About  it takes two can of the G.M.  trunk paint to do a VW engine compartment it Covers well but is messy so make sure you mask off everything you dont want painted if you do get a little paint on the loom  or painted surface just wipe it down with a water soaked rag then dry it comes right  until it drys ...

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
The Ideaman

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 03:56:38 am »

Bryan,Daniel and I Zolotoned the engine compartment of one of the 67's we found a couple years ago.  I don't care much for the look.  The only reason we did it was because of the engine fire it had.  Cleaned up that mess, though.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 18:46:28 pm »

When I did my old 62 Beetle I simply used some "trunk spater paint" from my local auto parts store.  It was a two step process of first covering the firewall with the spatter paint and letting that dry, then applying a clear laquer over that.  It held up very, very well to all sorts of abuse (oil or otherwise).   Wink  When it came time to do my Ghia I used another brand of the trunk paint, and so far I'm real happy with the results.  Grin

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Steve D.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 19:34:17 pm »

I layed down two layers of sound deadening material (b-quiet) on the back of my firewall, and then sprayed the whole thing with a rubber undercoating- came out real nice and smooth, and it is some tough durable stuff.  Just another way to skin a bug...

Über Alles

5 tracks, 5 days, 1000+ miles.
10.77 avg. on pump fuel.
238I
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: