The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 12:50:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  vw 5 speed interest ??
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: vw 5 speed interest ??  (Read 22879 times)
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 19:35:16 pm »

think he got side tracked building my 4 speed  Cool

But he probably spent most of his time with LSD and water pumpers

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
youngnstudly

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 20:19:08 pm »

"Yes",  I would be interested in a 5 speed for my car. I think a 5 or 6 speed gearbox would be sweet, but I'd like to have (Ideally) a cool shifter that allowed the use of a reverse lockout feature, a 5th/6th lock out feature (for racing), and also a feature to lock the car in reverse (like the factory had for convertables). And with all those features, it couldn't possibly be cheap (or at least affordable) considering the needed Research and development alone.

If someone provided a modification (of some sort) that would allow the use of a standard (existing) 4 speed shifter (Hurst, berg, flat 4, CSP, etc), offered a "kit" for "do-it-yourself" guys that came with simple instructions, all the needed parts, and (maybe?) even offered assembly services or "pre-built" units that would bolt up with ease ,there would be a large market for this sort of thing. But in reality, there is probably a reason that only the "cool guys" can have their cake and eat it too: they spent the extra money and got 5th gear!

It's really too bad that there isn't a factory built 5 or 6 speed that is relatively inexpensive, easy to get parts for, and fairly straight forward to install. The closest thing we have to work with is a Porsche transaxle. Certainly not a cheap or easy modification for most.

Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2010, 21:07:32 pm »

I vote "yes" too, with a correct price, and cool shifters.

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2010, 23:25:17 pm »

The only thing that deters me from the 901 box is the need to use a Porsche shifter. But I love that dogleg first gear Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 23:31:40 pm »

The best would be to use Berg shifters.

youngnstudly

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2010, 00:51:14 am »

Or a Hurst...What about a stock shifter for that "sleeper" look?  Wink I always though that it would be cool to have a more "positive" feeling shifter with the reverse lockout and short throw that appeared stock looking. The stock unit with a "short throw kit" just doesn't cut it for me, plus it wouldn't work for a 5 speed application. Hurst would be my first choice though.

Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
kingsburgphil

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2010, 01:41:05 am »

The only thing that deters me from the 901 box is the need to use a Porsche shifter. But I love that dogleg first gear Wink
The only thing that deters me from the 901 box is.....the weak first gear. Other than that I love smooth "hot knife thru butter"
feel. Especially with  "airport gears" or the vowel gearset (AEIOU).
Dimi DKG

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2010, 10:33:02 am »

I would definitely be interested too, all depends on what is "affordable"... Huh My idea would be to run close 1-2-3 gears and rearrange the two other ones. If I'm not mistaken Hewland from the UK used Beetle gearboxes? What's available from them?

Sunshine, IDAs on 76 gas and Cal look friends... the real spice of life!
deano

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2010, 14:21:26 pm »

I would definitely be interested too, all depends on what is "affordable"... Huh My idea would be to run close 1-2-3 gears and rearrange the two other ones. If I'm not mistaken Hewland from the UK used Beetle gearboxes? What's available from them?

VERY expensive and noisy!

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 14:55:56 pm »

I´f I´m not mistaken, Hewland competition gearboxes use straight cut gears for all gears?
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2010, 17:47:03 pm »

I'd be interested if it could be done at a reasonable cost.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
plasticblack

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2010, 17:56:15 pm »

The Key word that keep popping up is 'affordable'........... Wink
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2010, 17:58:33 pm »

Well the Berg 5 is the benchmark. It's a nice unit but like all of the Berg stuff priced a little on the high side.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 19:24:12 pm »

With today's 80mph traffic flow, every time I hit the Freeway, I'm looking for that 5th gear!

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
deano

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 20:12:22 pm »

Just FYI..... The new Rhino transaxle cases now coming out of Brazil are aluminum....

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2010, 00:30:39 am »

Can it be done so there is no body or pan "clearancing" needed to be done ?
 Huh
Jim M

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2010, 02:02:45 am »

Wow, the rumor mill in full swing lately.....I would be in for a few...Jim

Porters Precision
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2010, 03:42:29 am »

X2 Dyno.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2010, 05:44:01 am »

X2 Dyno.

Ted
If thats the case !!....Beer is on Me ...!!!! Grin

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
plasticblack

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2010, 07:53:00 am »

As I said higher up this thread, everybody has their own thoughts on what is and isn't affordable.

Some will think $2000 is cheap, while others will have needed the smelling salts at $1000.......  Cheesy

AssHull

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2010, 08:37:26 am »

I would love one! The only reason I don't have one yet is the cost involved. Someday...
vwtaiwan

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2010, 09:38:28 am »

I always like 5 speed for todays traffic, also good for weekend racing. I made my own 5 speed shifter and 5 speed shift knob. I still have some knob, if any body need them.
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2010, 09:49:07 am »

Yes for the interest.
 And yes for a slight overdrive.
BUT. Most type 1 engines would struggle with a 3,88 R/P and 0,82 5th. unless they use small dia. tyres. Then there is the heat issue. Anything over what´s equivallent to 3,88 R/P and 0,89 final gear w. stock dia tyres, and the engine begins to have heat issues at normal street driving (50 mph) , but they live great at 70 mph. Type 4´s are another game. They can handle more gearing.

But it would be a great way to exploit the highest reasonable ratio for the vehichle, without getting high rpm drops when shifting.
T
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2010, 12:38:31 pm »

I always like 5 speed for todays traffic, also good for weekend racing. I made my own 5 speed shifter and 5 speed shift knob. I still have some knob, if any body need them.

Nice products !

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2010, 12:45:45 pm »

quite right, torben! it seems quite a few people are looking forward to a looong freeway 5th, but you can't go any longer than 4.12 and .82 or 3.88 and .89 with our 26" tractor tyres out back. the trick you'll have some fun gears for them twisty backroads or traffic light acceleration and retain that .89 5th so that the 1.04 is now 4th.
but any longer than 3.88 and 0.89 and you'll be running less than 3,000rpm for a long period time on the motorway, which would create the need for an additional fan in the engine compartment or something alike. a 356 generator pulley could be an option but then spinning up to 7,000 or so sounds less attractive if you'd imagine how many rpm your fan is making.
but yes! an affordable 5 speed which allows us to play around with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear ratios sounds pretty damn cool!! Smiley

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
vwtaiwan

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2010, 14:27:30 pm »

For street use (no slick), I think 2000USD is very good price.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2010, 14:41:29 pm »

How about an affordable LSD to go with it?

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
deano

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2010, 16:01:47 pm »

There are complains about the Berg-5 being pricy, but remember that for the most part, you are using used parts to make the complete assembly. If a (new) aftermarket transaxle comes into the market, it would be 100% new parts - stronger yet, and surely be more expensive.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Donny B.

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2010, 16:33:17 pm »

I like my Berg 5.  I find it hard to believe that a reliable 5 speed can enter the market costing much less in today's world.  Like Louis said a quality LSD would be nice for an affordable price.  I can't afford a Quaife...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2010, 18:12:15 pm »

I find it hard to believe that a reliable 5 speed can enter the market costing much less in today's world. 

You don't know the Chinese.  Wink Oh wait, you said reliable.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: