The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 12:39:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  vw 5 speed interest ??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: vw 5 speed interest ??  (Read 22878 times)
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« on: May 21, 2010, 05:23:48 am »

well...after many years gone by the wayside i have been wondering if there is still a need or interest in bringing back an affordable 5 speed to the vw market. 1)...any interest//2) what would be affordable pricing//....I have been pondering this for quite some time and have talked to some old school people with great interest/knowledge/expertise to perhaps reintroduce an affodable 5 speed for street use driving. Im not into bashing or interested in transbuilder wars as this industry is already getting too small and enough people are frustrated with the economic situation/ just a thought that perhaps can happen if there is enough interest hence this posting. without getting into politics which i hate and cannot tolerate im just interested in those that have a desire for such an item. please give me your honest input without technical backlash. i have been dedicated to this industry that has been my family for over 40 years and would like all parties interested to chime in. thank you for your time and consideration//dyno don
SO-CAL Speed Shop L.A.

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 05:42:16 am »

Knowing that an overdrive has become almost manditory in the American Classic and Hot Rod world I think a 5 speed for the VW market would be stronger than ever as we are so used to the engine kicking down in our late models. I want to do some SERIOUS cross-country VW driving in the near future and feel that a 5-speed would make it SOOOO much more inviting. Hate hearing any engine scream for long periods any more- give me a 5th gear ANY day! This coming from a person driving his '67 EVERYDAY after a 15 year hiatus of driving air-cooled German engineering. I was just going to ask tonight if the high pitched gear noise in fouth gear with the power on (only) is normal? Runs fine, but tranny just gets a little louder in 4th at speed.

NEEDED!!! Working '67 Door Handle W/Key! Thanks Jim 310/720-6049
low oval
DKK

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 05:48:53 am »

yep, I'm interested.  As it stands now, I am having a engine buit that will hopefully be completed by the end of summer, than I will put a 5 speed in it next spring due to current costs.  I'd much rather do it all at once.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
SEBB

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 07:53:02 am »

I too am interested if it is able to hold a drag racing (street drag)! Tongue
GreenTom

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 08:18:41 am »

that would be a nice thing to have. If it would be for example good for some saturday night action in the town/strip (lets say 1,2,3 4 eaven  gears close ratio and 5th for geting for A point to B point in "quite") that I'm interested. In Europe lots of people use heit AC VW's as a daylie drivers and it would make live easyer (more quite Cheesy).
Go for it Mr. Don.
cheers
Tom.

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
plasticblack

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 08:25:58 am »

Spooky Don..

I was just thinking the other day about this very subject and I agree totally that a 5-speed box would be high on my list of 'Wants'.

The probably has always been with this suggestion that the costs involved, put it beyond what most people can afford and thus however Good or Desirable a 5-Speed might be... the idea Commercially speaking is stuck in Neutral........ (Sorry about that one! Grin)

It all comes down to cost in the end and the only way I can see this being any more than an idea, is if some brave soul does the Maths and feels he can produce a certain number of boxes on a pre-order basis and manages to cover his outlay over a small run.

On a side point, I've owned several 'GT Beetles' over the years and these came with a higher Final Ratio as standard and I found these to be fine for long distance cruising and much easier than a Standard Box.

Perhaps even a 4-Speed with a more suitable Top End would be just as welcomed as well as significantly less Development/Modification costs?  

Having said that, it depends on what 'Everybody's' individual opinion of 'Affordable' is.. Grin

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 10:03:09 am »

The only advantage of a five-speed in a VW is that it allows you to run four 'short' gears and a stock fifth to allow regular freeway cruising. There is no benefit at all in going the conventional 'overdrive' route as the VW trans is already effectively overdriven in fourth gear. A Bug motor in a typical Cal Looker will struggle to pull anything much higher than a 3.88 with a 0.82 and 205/70s for any distance - and that's a hell of a lot higher overall ratio than a regular 4.37/0.89 + 155/15 overall ratio… You may also need to start thinking about speeding the fan up to keep things cool if you run too a high gear for long periods… Just my 2c… Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Neil Davies

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 10:53:53 am »

Depending on cost, it's something that I'd seriously consider. The Berg 5 is great, but expensive. AFAIK the Webster from the 70's hasn't been available for a long, long time, and Bears in the UK are releasing theirs soon according to the news piece in Volksworld. The Porsche five-speed is also proven but requires a change to IRS.

I'd like to drive to the track, run 12's and drive home again, keeping up with motorway traffic at 70mph without wringing the neck of the motor.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
alex d

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 11:16:32 am »

I think it's cheaper to just build a bigger engine so you don't need close ratios  Grin
GreenTom

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 11:35:06 am »

I think it's cheaper to just build a bigger engine so you don't need close ratios  Grin

hmm that's a idea Smiley 2276ccm EFI Turbo engine with 25PSI boost should be enough Wink
but yes as Mr. Kith wrote, nice box with close ratios and 5th like 0,82 should be nice to drive 70MPH without putting some cheese into earholes or frying the engine.

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
glenn

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 11:41:46 am »

I like having both.

I've had a Berg 5 for 10 years and i'll never go back to a 4 speed. The close gears make driving it a pleasure and matching it to a torquey engine means I can shift into 5th as low as 40mph and as high as 110mph.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Jeff68

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 13:24:48 pm »

I would absolutely love to have a 5 speed in my car.  I agree with Mr. Seume above - Having a 5 speed doesn't change the "overdrive" that is already in a stock 4 speed VW transaxle.  So mostly I'd really like to have a 5 speed so that I could have the first four gears closer to improve drivability in traffic as well as at the track as well as improve highway drivability with less engine noise.  This is a great subject!

As far as speeding the fan up if you use a lower (numerically) gear ratio in your "overdrive" gear - This may not be a good idea as it takes a certain amount of horsepower to drive the fan and push the car.  This may cause overheating of the engine. Just my $0.02

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 13:43:56 pm »

To reply the original question, yes, IŽd love to have an affordable 5 speed.
Hotrodvw

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 14:43:17 pm »

I too am interested if it is able to hold a drag racing (street drag)! Tongue

Yup, has to be good for at least 200hp

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Joel Mohr

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 14:55:05 pm »

Just don't revive the "Mikey" 5 speed it's a poor design......I actually ordered a Berg 2 weeks ago for my Puma......

SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!
Speed-Randy

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 15:13:44 pm »

I actually ordered a Berg 2 weeks ago for my Puma......
good luck with that

Mike Maize

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 15:22:15 pm »

Yes I would be interested.
The Ideaman

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 15:24:43 pm »

Just don't revive the "Mikey" 5 speed it's a poor design......
I was thinking the same thing.  CB tried to make it work, with no success.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 16:48:28 pm »

To reply the original question, yes, IŽd love to have an affordable 5 speed.

Me Too!

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 16:51:52 pm »

As soon as I rebuild/hot rod the motor in the GTV, that's the next step. I might drag race it a few times to see what it's got in it, but it will be primarily for street and highway use. I don't want a close 1-4 with a stock 5th, I want the gears to be spread out like a "factory" 5 speed. 4.12 r+p with a .77 5th, and 165 tires.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
deano

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 17:16:10 pm »

There may in fact, be an alternative to the modified VW gearbox + fifth gear setup coming soon. Mendeola is working on a new, small, compact gearbox that will be a six speed, design to fit around the VW torsion bar/frame horn setup. It could use either IRS or swingaxle parts.... and take the horsepower.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 17:20:31 pm »

Very interesting dean, Keep us posted

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
ugly duckling

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 17:30:58 pm »

deffenetly a needed item there DON it would deffenetly be a seller i think a 6 speed perhaps if doible for thoses nice big CI T1 Grin engines. HEY don eat any PIC UP STIK,S LATELY great to see ya that night  Wink. UD . 

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 17:33:53 pm »

There may in fact, be an alternative to the modified VW gearbox + fifth gear setup coming soon. Mendeola is working on a new, small, compact gearbox that will be a six speed, design to fit around the VW torsion bar/frame horn setup. It could use either IRS or swingaxle parts.... and take the horsepower.

That would be awesome, but SPENDEOLA I'm guessing...

deano

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 17:50:20 pm »

So, a ground-up Berg 5 speed ready to fly isn't?

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2010, 17:53:15 pm »

No need to guess... Mendeola is some top shelf stuff.
I'm sure it would be nice but price would no doubt limit the market... my guess it would FAR exceed the price of a Berg unit.

Donny B.

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2010, 18:04:11 pm »

If someone is going to all this trouble, maybe someone will do a sequential gearbox.  I always thought you could get a sequential 6 speed into a stock VW housing.  Maybe we will see.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
deano

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 18:10:47 pm »

If someone is going to all this trouble, maybe someone will do a sequential gearbox.  I always thought you could get a sequential 6 speed into a stock VW housing.  Maybe we will see.

I believe that is also in the works.... knowing Mike!

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 18:35:50 pm »

So, a ground-up Berg 5 speed ready to fly isn't?

Not cheap, no. But it is within what I would consider a justifiable expense.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 18:43:35 pm »

I remember Gary Peloquin telling me back in 1988 that he was working on a six-speed trans, using the original case. Wonder what ever came of that?

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: