The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 06:37:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  EQUALIZER PULLEYS!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EQUALIZER PULLEYS!!  (Read 6745 times)
SPEEDWELL66

VW DRAG RACING.....MEXICAN STYLE!!

« on: May 24, 2010, 07:24:21 am »

what is exactly the benefits of this kind of pulleys?

muchas gracias amigos...

SON OF THE BEAN

WWW.VOLKSSTYLE.COM
didi

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 09:45:11 am »

here you can read some benefits and hints
sorry, poor scan quality

didi

Didi - Aircooled VW
http://didivw.blogspot.com/
deano

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 16:47:24 pm »

You should also ask a crankshaft shop who works on VW cranks a lot, to tell or show you what those heavy front pulleys can do to the nose of the crank. Its not always a win-win....

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Bruce

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 17:07:24 pm »

"The adding of weight in nothing new in automotive applications.  Chevy, Ford, and many cars install a Harmonic balancer damper on the nose end of the crankshaft to absorb some of the engine's harmonic vibrations (nodes)."

This is true.  When a cylinder at the opposite end of the crank from the flywheel fires, the crankshaft tends to wind up a bit.  Then this winding up releases, creating the harmonic vibrations.  This problem is worse as the crankshaft gets longer.  Less so with a short crank.

Guess who has the shortest 4 cylinder crankshaft of all?
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 17:21:45 pm »

I do like the fact that they are ever so slightly larger than the aftermarket "stock size" pulleys, and getting closer to balancing the weight on each end of the crankshaft does sound like a good idea theoretically.

You should also ask a crankshaft shop who works on VW cranks a lot, to tell or show you what those heavy front pulleys can do to the nose of the crank. Its not always a win-win....

I've heard of bad things happening on race motors, and HIGH powered street cars, but for the average street engine??

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 22:39:34 pm »

I look at them as a big waist of money, my street to race engines range from 200 to 500 plus HP with zero main bearing problems, I do recommend using a hub pulley for looks and just an all around better and stronger pulley.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 23:05:12 pm »

What about the Berg pulley ? Is it good ?

John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 00:07:59 am »

My old balancer told me he thought they were the best thing that they came up with for the VW. He described it, as the flywheel wanting to turn the crank into a gyro on a non equalizer engine.

I also park at Nick's.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 00:51:36 am »

I like the idea of a steel nose of pulley against steel crank. I used to have aluminum aftermarket pulleys get wallowy after a few years, especially at keyway. I like that the Berg pulleys go on TIGHT.
kingsburgphil

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 03:38:02 am »

I guess I'll throw a wrench into the werks and ask what this is?  It measures 5 3/4 max dia. just under 2.7 lbs., chrome over steel. Second question,
it appears to have been balanced, so can I or should I use this. Your opinions are welcome as these pulleys are post my experience. And yes, someone
removed it with a hammer and screwdriver.
SPEEDWELL66

VW DRAG RACING.....MEXICAN STYLE!!

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 08:12:30 am »

I do like the fact that they are ever so slightly larger than the aftermarket "stock size" pulleys, and getting closer to balancing the weight on each end of the crankshaft does sound like a good idea theoretically.

I've heard of bad things happening on race motors, and HIGH powered street cars, but for the average street engine??

i heard the same from local "old time" racers Undecided

so definetly this is a big waste of money...........i think you are right mr. luppino.

gracias amigos!

THE BIG BEAN THEORY

WWW.VOLKSSTYLE.COM
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 08:45:34 am »

I have used one once, that and the crank sits on the "offerings to the gods of speed" shelve...

Will there be less twisting of the crank if it has two flywheels?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 07:23:24 am »

I have used them for years without problems. After taking my motor apart, bearing surface's were very good. Could have used them again if I wanted to.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
qubek

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 08:54:46 am »

Will there be less twisting of the crank if it has two flywheels?

Good point. Most of the engines I know have only one flywheel.

The point is that what can an average user say? I have used it and had no problems (that I could notice and connect to the pulley)? What if a said user had a usual, light pulley? Would it change anything? We will never know.

When I first heard about those pulleys, my first thought was - you pay for having flywheel lightened just to have a heavy pulley installed?

The problem is that they are sold by BERG. So they must be good. Wink

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 09:46:39 am »

From reading the BERG text I thought that they were there to do something with the critical harmonic vibration. And the only way I can see them doing that is that they somehow change the harmonics frequency, and move it out of the range of the engine so to say...
Ohh well, never mind....  Smiley

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: