The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 14:56:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  CB billet pulleys
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CB billet pulleys  (Read 4511 times)
bugnut68

« on: March 17, 2011, 19:07:05 pm »

I'm only posting this to reflect my experiences as I figure it can maybe help someone else out, or perhaps I'll be a lone isolated case. I purchased one of CB's new billet Santana style pulleys for my new 2017 engine build (fully polished); it features the engraved timing marks and numbers, a feature I was drawn to due to the relative ease with which silk screened numbers can fade off through time.
My first issue came when I could not get the pulley to fit the end of my 78.4mm DPR welded stroker crank after the longblock was assembled.  Try as I might, I could not get it even started and apparently I managed to gall the inside of the "snout" trying to get it fitted.  I never could get it on far enough to get a bolt in to finish drawing it onto the end of the crankshaft.
CB was great in backing up the product, as I sent it back to them and they inspected it and then machined the galled ID of the pulley's snout.  Once I got it back it went on, no problem.
This past weekend I ran into a different kind of issue, namely I couldn't get the fan belt installed as it seemed to be too short.  The pulley measures 7 inches in diameter, whereas the other degree pulleys (I have a power pulley, an EMPI sand seal black anodized one I got with a lot of parts I bought last fall and a stock steel pulley in my stash) measure in at 6-3/4".  I believe this is the cause of my issue.  I called CB and spoke with Tom today about the issue and he recommended I look for a belt that's a bit bigger than the stock 9.5 x 900 mm dimension, which I will try to do at our local NAPA.
I can't stress enough that CB Performance has been great in answering questions and standing behind their product, but I just wanted to offer my experience in case anyone else runs into similar issues.
I didn't realize until recently that there are 7 inch and 6-3/4" size standard pulleys, along with the 5-3/4" power pulleys and even smaller dry sump pulleys. The lattter I was aware of, just not the two different sizes of standard (stock) size pulleys.
Hopefully, my local NAPA can set me up with a suitable belt, otherwise I may pass this pulley off to someone who has a proper sized belt available to them.  Parts options are mighty limited where I live.
Sorry for the lengthy post, but just thought I would share my thoughts.  In short, CB Performance has great product support and great products, but it may be helpful if there's something included in the product description regarding the belt sizing issue.  I guess I was the first to have this issue, but I just thought I would bring it up in case anyone else may face a similar scenario.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 22:25:05 pm »

Hey Ryan, I agree, CB does have great support. On the pulley, there are no two pulley's that are the same, meaning from one manufacturer to another. 7" from form place may be a bit different from another. That's mainly due to the grove. Ether to narrow, to wide. Your best bet IS to buy the belt to fit. You will find a belt, if the one you have is to small, just buy the next one bigger. NAPPA should cross reference what you have and go the next size up, or 2 sizes up or down, according to what you need. Good luck!

Ted

VW Classic 2012
bugnut68

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 22:31:54 pm »

Hey Ryan, I agree, CB does have great support. On the pulley, there are no two pulley's that are the same, meaning from one manufacturer to another. 7" from form place may be a bit different from another. That's mainly due to the grove. Ether to narrow, to wide. Your best bet IS to buy the belt to fit. You will find a belt, if the one you have is to small, just buy the next one bigger. NAPPA should cross reference what you have and go the next size up, or 2 sizes up or down, according to what you need. Good luck!

Ted

That's my best hope right now... I really like the idea of engraved numbers on the pulley for timing purposes!  Though I will say years ago I had the EMPI black one and I was sorely disappointed to see the numbers completely wiped out when one of my heater hoses came loose and rubbed the pulley. 
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 22:42:26 pm »

Ryan, if that's the pulley I'm thinking of, JC makes them for CB. They are a nice piece. I worked for Jack for a short time and remember running them on the CNC.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Gary Justus

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 23:04:43 pm »

Ted

That's my best hope right now... I really like the idea of engraved numbers on the pulley for timing purposes!  Though I will say years ago I had the EMPI black one and I was sorely disappointed to see the numbers completely wiped out when one of my heater hoses came loose and rubbed the pulley. 
Don't be blaming one failure on another. Given your situation, there, that would have happened to any pulley.
bugnut68

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 23:07:59 pm »

Ted

Don't be blaming one failure on another. Given your situation, there, that would have happened to any pulley.

Wasn't blaming anything on anything else, Gary, only expressing my surprise/disappointment that something as soft as a paper-wrapped foil hose could destroy laser-etched number, that's all.  My new motor, the 2017, won't have a heater system at all, so no worries there! Grin
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 06:33:24 am »

I run a CB 7" pulley and also have a Empi 7" and a Berg 7" pulley and stock German OE 7" pulley.  Most of the aftermarket pullies are 6 3/4" but the main problem is that the belt width on the pulleys differ so if you use a different width belt it may ride deeper or further out.

I believe the one that I use on mine is 9mmx905mm a continental belt, but I would have to go out to check it out for you.  It is trial an error since there are different size alt pulleys too.  I believe the belts come in 9mm, 9.5mm, 10mm, 10.5mm widths.  Once you figure it out buy a spare.
bugnut68

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 16:38:48 pm »

Man, the issue of consistency in the VW parts industry is becoming all the more an issue, or so it seems.  I don't think I can drop out of the scene anytime soon for fear of losing track of information such as this... I had no idea of the variance of parts such as pulleys until now!
Bryan67

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 16:45:16 pm »

Try a NAPA/Gates 25-7355. That`s what I use.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 23:16:21 pm »

I went and checked mine and I am running a continental 10mmx900mm belt with a 7" pulley and German alternator pulley.
bugnut68

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 16:31:59 pm »

Try a NAPA/Gates 25-7355. That`s what I use.

That did the trick!  Thanks!
Bryan67

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 04:42:59 am »

No problem.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: