The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 15:54:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Radical Rod for sale....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Radical Rod for sale....  (Read 12514 times)
71CALRIPPER

« on: July 20, 2010, 07:39:57 am »

Got to say this is one car I would love to own....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=995297

beatnik beetle

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:19:18 am »

Wow...really nice preserved race car....tough looking...anyone know the history?
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:22:32 am »

Come on Fabs... hit us with the info... Grin
Neil Davies

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 12:01:50 pm »

I'll jump in with a little bit - it belongs to Rod Schultz Jr, who's dad raced Sum Fun. Russell, how about re-uniting the pair?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Russell

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 00:18:12 am »

not only was it a pair it was triplets, I also have Larrys (Rod jnr brothers) 57 that was featured in Trends back in Sep 2002, he got this when he was 16, Ive updated it slightly but its still got the Santnni Paint from 20 years ago..... was at classic this year.

waiting to hear all things going well Rods car will be here too.....   Grin

Pics of the 57

Best Regards

Russell
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 00:58:17 am »

That was the car you got from Rick Mortensen, correct? Looked good Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 07:30:00 am »

Cool well even if you beat me to buying it at least i get to see it at EBI or something ..Smiley
Russell

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 13:10:45 pm »

Yes bit car has been changed quite a bit from when Rick had it, made it more prure cal look, BRMS, Engine and Interior.

May the best man win !!! Grin

Best Regards

Russell
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 15:07:00 pm »

All yours dude...just got a quote for the trasport from Utah..blows my budget out. Sad
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 17:35:07 pm »

Come on Fabs... hit us with the info... Grin
here we go roberto
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 15:23:24 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Larry S

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 03:28:27 am »

This is my brother Rod's car, it is a bad boy. I have driven it many times and it LOVES to do wheelies, 1-3rd gear. When he first got it Lee Leighton had built the 2074 motor and he drove it around LaHabra Ca. all the time and it ran 12.70's in the early 80's. The car is missing it's motor but everything else is solid and perfect. This car is not a cut up race car but a solid 67 bug that could be a street car again in a matter of days. Has always been stored inside and covered. I talked to my brother Friday and he said it is headed to Scotland and will be with my old 57 and my Dads old car Sum Fun! I am glad they will all be together again. I have tons of pics of My Dads and Brothers cars over the years at the race track.
Larry

Plan your work, work your plan, with precision and excellence.
Fiatdude

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 05:45:41 am »

Hey Russell -- I've got a radical rod for sale too if you want to throw some more money around

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Larry S

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 00:31:05 am »

My Dad (Rod Sr.) bought the car for my Brother, he bought it from a person with the last name of Stahl I believe in Orange county. the guy had it built for his wife and she drove it on the street running 12.70's with a Lee Leighton 2074 motor, 78.4 x 92. My Dad bought it turn key for $4,200. My Dad, brother, and myself were treated to a 48IDA wide open run by the owner and we were hooked! If crack is like 48's I can see how people get hooked. That was a lot of $$ for a VW back then, the car had been advertised for sale in the Orange County register for a long time. The car came with radials on chrome rims and we also got the centerlines with slicks. The car was the fastest car at our high school (Lowell High school). Hot vws had taken pics when the former guy owned it and the feature came out after Rod owned it. The feature was called Hot and cold and featured two cars (rods and another one I do not know about) I am not sure which month and year the issue came out. the car was painted a BMW gray color then. Does anyone have a copy of that issue??? The car was later featured in VW Trends as a race car so the car has been featured in both Magazines. Rod was the top eliminator at Bug In 29 with the car when he was racing bracket one. I think he beat Gene Kibler for the win?? If not I know he did the race before the final Rod was dialed a 12:20 I think and Gene was a 16 something....a four second head start! Rod caught him in the lights.....for the win.....it was awesome! Rod was deadly in that car and won many rounds of racing with it.
I will shut up for now.
Larry

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 01:13:07 am »

You know the approx time period the issue would have been out? I probably have it.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 01:44:10 am »

Hi Larry, it's been a long time! I see your sister every now and then, she lives around the corner from me.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 15:24:59 pm »

larry the vw trend sreport is up  Grin
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 15:26:31 pm by speedwell » Logged

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 15:34:03 pm »

some picture from bug in 29 with radical rod  Wink

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 15:36:18 pm »

on a side note: most represented club - KKK?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 15:58:22 pm »

more about radical rod , to know where it is check the name under the pict  Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 16:00:17 pm »

Wink

bugnut68

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 17:20:22 pm »

on a side note: most represented club - KKK?

Wow, that's a really unfortunate typo... Grin
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 17:25:48 pm »

5 keys to the right even on a typewriter Cheesy

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 18:11:36 pm »

some picture from bug in 29 with radical rod  Wink

The picture of the car with 6022 was Cory Mac's first drag VW.
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 18:15:14 pm »

Wink

Thanks for the pictures of my old car, that had to be somewhere around 85 or 86, way too long ago Grin
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 18:22:11 pm »

my pleasure dom  Wink

Larry S

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 00:34:41 am »

Hey Dominick, It has been a long time. I think we talked in 2002 when I was out visiting my sis and saw you at a car cruise by your house, Eddie had his Black El Camino there. We had a lot of good times racing back then, we all got along (except a couple of people who everyone knows and doesn't need named) and were truly like a family we spent so many weekends together. You sure won a lot in Dragon Slayer and were a heck of a driver for sure. Most everybody would help with time or parts even if you were going to race each other in the next round. Thanks for posting the pics, they are great. Rod's car always did leave HARD! I think I have a pic or two of Plum Crazy I will try to get scanned in so I can post them.  I am not sure on the issue of HotVws Rods car was in when it was a street car, I will call him this weekend and see if we can pin it down. he has a copy somewhere.
I have a pic of Rods garage in Whittier I need to find which is cool, you can see my 57 when I was redoing it, Sum Fun, Radical Rod, Strip Teaser II the VW dragster Rod drove for Gene Brown, My Dads 51 all stock split, Rods 53 Zwitter rag, and my sisters 66 vert Ghia all in the same shot!   

Larry S

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 00:40:27 am »

Last time I talked to Cory which was a couple years ago at the NHRA Topeka Kansas race he still had his oval bug from the picture above with Rod's car. He had it painted black. I am sure you all know but Cory now races the Fram top fuel dragster. We use to cruise Whittier Blvd in our oval windows. he was a heck of a racer also, still is.....

Larry S

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 02:29:41 am »

I wanted to attach a pic of my current ride, a 1958 euro ragtop, L245 light bronze paint, Dave Folts freeway flyer superstreet trans, and sweet 1776 I just built a few months ago. It is a nice ride.
Larry

71CALRIPPER

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 16:03:05 pm »

Fuck I like the RR to much  Shocked Shocked
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 19:58:58 pm »

Hey Dominick, It has been a long time. I think we talked in 2002 when I was out visiting my sis and saw you at a car cruise by your house, Eddie had his Black El Camino there. We had a lot of good times racing back then, we all got along (except a couple of people who everyone knows and doesn't need named) and were truly like a family we spent so many weekends together. You sure won a lot in Dragon Slayer and were a heck of a driver for sure. Most everybody would help with time or parts even if you were going to race each other in the next round. Thanks for posting the pics, they are great. Rod's car always did leave HARD! I think I have a pic or two of Plum Crazy I will try to get scanned in so I can post them.  I am not sure on the issue of HotVws Rods car was in when it was a street car, I will call him this weekend and see if we can pin it down. he has a copy somewhere.
I have a pic of Rods garage in Whittier I need to find which is cool, you can see my 57 when I was redoing it, Sum Fun, Radical Rod, Strip Teaser II the VW dragster Rod drove for Gene Brown, My Dads 51 all stock split, Rods 53 Zwitter rag, and my sisters 66 vert Ghia all in the same shot!   

Larry, your hole family were the best to hang out with, I talked to your Dad awhile back, I hope he and your Mom are well, I always tell your sister to say hi to everyone for me.

I sure miss the good old days!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: