The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 10, 2024, 01:04:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350905 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Pushrod tubes... Spread them or not?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pushrod tubes... Spread them or not?  (Read 10917 times)
quickkafer

German-Pride.com

« on: March 15, 2007, 21:19:28 pm »

My present 1776 motor was built by someone else and it's leaking like a siv!  I'm really NOT complaining as he used all nice parts, but didn't use much for sealant.  It's got stock style stainless steel pushrod tubes on it.  I've only used stock ones, and I've heard that you've got one good "crush" on them before they're out of shape.  Some guys claim that there is enough resiliency in the metal to pull the accordian portion out and reuse them.  What do you guys think?  I'd like to use those ss tubes again if I can.

I've heard others say that they pull on them before installing them when they are brand new.

What works for you?  Let's hear your secrets.

I've only put together 4 motors so far, but I've pulled heads on several more to replace damaged heads, etc.  I've had success with new tubes, white seals, and a bit of gasgacinch between the tube and the seal, and again on the seal and the case.  I also put the seam on the tube pointing up.

Scott Faivre

Roman

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 22:46:02 pm »

I have re-used them several times and I have spread them slightly each time. It works for me! I have permatex on the white seals but I don't know if it's needed, I just do it just in case.
On the engines I have built or replaced the tubes with new it has never been a need for spreading them. Maybe it's needed if you have a really wide stroker?
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 22:55:58 pm »

Seams upwards, spread them slightly, ultra clean surfaces on head and case, and no sealant. Works every time...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 23:07:08 pm »

I reused my stock ones, pulled them, cleaned them, no sealant: no leaks...

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 23:28:42 pm »

Hmmm,

I'm using VW "CT" Pusrod Tubes on my Motor and never had a Problem with Oil Leaks...

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Chuck Fryer

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 00:13:14 am »

I have had good luck cleaning them REAL good, stretching them a bit, install the white seal, then install them dry. (fingers crossed) I have hardly ever had a leak this way, but, everyone has his/her own system for a leak free engine.
quickkafer

German-Pride.com

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 01:44:01 am »

Hmmm,

I'm using VW "CT" Pusrod Tubes on my Motor and never had a Problem with Oil Leaks...

Frank

Okay, I'll Bite... What's a "CT" Pushrod Tube.   Smiley

I'm going to try installing them naked this time.  (No not me! The pushrod tubes with no sealant! Grin )

Scott Faivre
Scott Faivre

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 03:56:44 am »

CT engine was a type 4 bus engine, so i'm guessing he uses those type 4 pushrods...  Undecided
perhaps i'm wrong...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
alex d

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 09:32:41 am »

in fact a CT engine is a type 1, used in 1600 vanagons, but with a specific cooling and case; what's the difference with the pushrod tubes Frank?
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 14:31:41 pm »

I Only Use German Push Rod Tubes I strech them a little Install the seals with a little  gasgacinch and have never had a leak I Never Reuse Push rod tubes it cheap insurance against leaks Seams always Up!!

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 16:01:16 pm »

I'm going to try installing them naked this time.  (No not me! The pushrod tubes with no sealant! Grin )

I don't know Scott, it sounds worth a try.  You might be onto something.

Make sure you leave the garage door open.   Cheesy

Mike H.

Sven was right.
quickkafer

German-Pride.com

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 21:50:10 pm »

...and I thought I was opening myself up for some ribbing with "spread them or not?"  Grin  Tongue

Scott Faivre
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 21:52:03 pm by quickkafer » Logged

Cornpanzer

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 00:54:27 am »

I put a thin coat of silicone on the inside and outside of the white pushrod tube seals.  Seam up, bellows slightly stretched.  I have zero leaks.

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 03:35:27 am »

I have zero leaks.

Except when the car lunges forward immediately before a loud BOOM!   Grin Wink Tongue

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 03:41:26 am »

I stretch mine slightly, apply a thin coat of permatex to the tube (under the seal) and as the seal is slid onto the tube it seals it off nicely against the ridge.  Then I apply a thin coat to the white seal.  Then when I put them in the case and head I turn them back and forth to seat them, then align the seams up.  Then as I torque the head down I constantly check the alignment and use a 1/2" drive extension to position the end of the tube straight into the head so I don't have any issues with my ratio rockers and pushrods.

No leaks (at least from the pushrod tubes  Grin).  And I too have re-used tubes before, but not more than a second time.   Wink

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Rasser

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 11:09:54 am »

I have read all you guys good advices now, but I wonder why nobody mentioned that there are really crappy gasket kits out there on the market. With these crappy gaskets, not even the best tips and best sealants will keep your engine dry.

My advice - look around and buy the best gasketkits you can get hold of.  (I have good experience wtih El-ring) - and i too use permatex  in/out side off gaskets = NO leaks

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
quickkafer

German-Pride.com

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 04:13:14 am »

Yes, El-ring are the best.  They make the white seals.  The red ones are crap. 

Good Point!  Thanks for mentioning that!

Scott Faivre

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: