The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 09:48:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Cooling a hottie
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cooling a hottie  (Read 3238 times)
kingsburgphil

« on: September 29, 2010, 04:53:48 am »

Here's my dilemma, without a cooling/charging system I can only drive my car for a couple of minutes. I'd like to increase that
to 15 min, while on flat ground @ 70 mph turning 3K.  (It has a healthy appetite for C12).

Question...exactly which fan housing/cooler combo?  Bypass or full flow remote cooler?  Pulley size?  I'll be using a Berg cooling fan and
have an unsealed engine compartment. The comp. ratio will stay at 14.1 till the Stock Market turns around  Grin  The car/motor are basically
old school bracket 1 stuff, nothing fancy by current standards.

I'll post the same old boring pic only for a point of reference  Wink
Donny B.

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 04:54:24 am »

loose the avatar....!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 05:24:43 am »

Have you looked into 911 fan as one of your choices, Phil?
I know there is info out there that says they do not cool well, but there are a few reasons why that seems odd. More air, less drag on engine. I know the source that said the 911 fan didn't work well mentioned it had to do with keeping air pressure in shroud up, which makes sense. The 911 fan shroud doesn't direct air anywhere, except down, unlike the VW shroud. I bet with some simple perforated baffles in the correct places, this could be overcome with the 911 setup.
With that said, I run the stock VW 1600 late model shroud and cooler, a Bugpack welded wide fan, all the ducting/seals, no thermostat/flaps and stock size pulley until November (then power Santana until next May). Next to trans, on driver's side, I run a Setrab cooler two fan model, with cold air ducting routed from RH torsion tube through two 50mm Volvo stovepipe hoses over trans. Fans are manually switched on from dash thru Bosch 30amp relay. Rear spring is screwed a few lb tighter than stock.
Oil pump is 30mm Schadeck I do a few things to. Oil is Swepco 306 15w40.
Last month John Holleran and I ran my car from Simi Valley, to Reseda for lunch, then out to Chino to visit Sarge. Leaving Reseda it was 101F, we sat on 118/210 freeway for a good hour @ 4Krpm, with fans on, oil stayed @ 175-180F. It was still around 100-105F @ Jim's house.
My motor isn't tuned to 14:1, it's down @ 9.8:1, but I drive the tires off of it, and this setup has been working for me since '97 when I added the Setrab.
Let us know what you go with... Cool
Jim
kingsburgphil

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 06:59:50 am »

Thanks Jim, yes I've been toying with having the 911 set-up on my car. I like doing the show and tell thing with my car,
and the Porsche fan/housing certainly grabs their attention over the old type 1 stuff. I guess my main concern is being
able to buy rather than make a viable system. I know B Bergman markets one....and I'll reserve my thoughts about that  Grin

The system you have sounds very efficient and highly refined, something to work up to in the future. For the short term
I've been thinking....36hp shroud, late fan, no internal cooler. One or two full flow fan cooled external oil coolers plumbed
with -10. Oh ya! and, some deflector plates too. Just enough to get me into town and back without worrying about burning
up the JE's.

kingsburgphil

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 02:57:35 am »

Ok, one more question. Should I plumb the remote cooler/s as a bypass in -8?   Or, extend the existing -8 full flow lines in -10 and add the cooler/s?

Or just switch the complete setup to -10 as a full flow filter/cooler(s)?
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 04:24:34 am »

Have you looked into 911 fan as one of your choices, Phil?
I know there is info out there that says they do not cool well, but there are a few reasons why that seems odd. More air, less drag on engine. I know the source that said the 911 fan didn't work well mentioned it had to do with keeping air pressure in shroud up, which makes sense. The 911 fan shroud doesn't direct air anywhere, except down, unlike the VW shroud. I bet with some simple perforated baffles in the correct places, this could be overcome with the 911 setup.
With that said, I run the stock VW 1600 late model shroud and cooler, a Bugpack welded wide fan, all the ducting/seals, no thermostat/flaps and stock size pulley until November (then power Santana until next May). Next to trans, on driver's side, I run a Setrab cooler two fan model, with cold air ducting routed from RH torsion tube through two 50mm Volvo stovepipe hoses over trans. Fans are manually switched on from dash thru Bosch 30amp relay. Rear spring is screwed a few lb tighter than stock.
Oil pump is 30mm Schadeck I do a few things to. Oil is Swepco 306 15w40.
Last month John Holleran and I ran my car from Simi Valley, to Reseda for lunch, then out to Chino to visit Sarge. Leaving Reseda it was 101F, we sat on 118/210 freeway for a good hour @ 4Krpm, with fans on, oil stayed @ 175-180F. It was still around 100-105F @ Jim's house.
My motor isn't tuned to 14:1, it's down @ 9.8:1, but I drive the tires off of it, and this setup has been working for me since '97 when I added the Setrab.
Let us know what you go with... Cool
Jim
Jim, on that rear pressure relief piston and spring, would that adjustable pressure relief spring that Auto-Craft use to make, that would work right?

VW Classic 2012
Fiatdude

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 05:04:55 am »

Put it on E85 or alcohol -- problem solved

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
kingsburgphil

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 06:01:40 am »

My local gas station pumps VP 100. I've been thinking about mixing that with pump gas after
I back down the squeeze to say 11.1?  At any rate the motors going back on the dyno.  Wink
Fiatdude

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 06:35:22 am »

My local gas station pumps VP 100. I've been thinking about mixing that with pump gas after
I back down the squeeze to say 11.1?  At any rate the motors going back on the dyno.  Wink

Go down to the airport and get the 100LL cheaper and it works great Phil -- That is what I ran in the Fiat up to 15 - 20 lbs boost, C-16 at high levels

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
kingsburgphil

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 07:00:27 am »

Go down to the airport and get the 100LL cheaper and it works great Phil -- That is what I ran in the Fiat up to 15 - 20 lbs boost, C-16 at high levels
Thanks Harold, I'd forgotten we had this discussion some time ago. I think they'll sell 100LL to me at the airport down in Hanford, Ca.
I know I can't just drive up with my car and say fill er up. So I guess it'll be gas cans in the back of the minivan  Cheesy 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: