The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 09, 2024, 23:38:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350905 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Inspirational words needed here!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Inspirational words needed here!!  (Read 8893 times)
kafercup

« on: October 01, 2010, 01:07:42 am »

Alright fellas, i'm sure many of you have been in this same spot.  It's been months since i've gotten anything new for the car, and several years since i've been able to drive it.  I've started having nasty thoughts of selling off everything and clearing space for something else.  I really don't want to and honestly don't think I ever would, but my inspiration seems to be fading faster these days. 

With the lack of air-cooled activity, i've turned to scooters for my tinkering.  They're a blast, but .........

Please help, i'm in dire need of some air-cooled VW words of inspiration and wisdom here!!!

Here's the poor bug sitting under a coating of dust..

Here's the scoots:

Tony M

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 01:18:19 am »

Dude - scooters are a fad - VW's are a way of LIFE - Buy something or put something on your car, so you can say that I HAVE WORKED ON IT. IT'S NOT JUST A MONEY PIT. Dont give up on it now.  Call me any time, or come by the shop. I will give you a hand any time you need it.

Tony

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
bugnut68

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 01:53:00 am »

I know the feeling.  As I live in a town where I'm basically the extent of the VW activity, lol, it's real easy to get burned out and bored, especially only getting to go to one VW show a year anymore.  In my experience, it doesn't take much to get the fire back, usually going for a drive or traveling to a show does the trick for me... I often flip flop and consider selling all my VW stuff to start fresh with a hobby that doesn't consume so much of my limited resources.  My '70 is a complete piece of shit, lol, but it'll be a fast piece of shit if I ever get the 2.0 liter engine finished for it.

I say give it time.  If you find yourself consistently thinking it's time to move on, then maybe it is.  My philosophy is I'll keep doing it until it stops being fun...
Speed-Randy

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 01:56:09 am »

Here's some inspirational words my dad used to tell me
"GET OFF YOUR ASS AND DO SOMETHING!!!!" hope this helps

kafercup

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 02:08:23 am »

I know the feeling.  As I live in a town where I'm basically the extent of the VW activity, lol, it's real easy to get burned out and bored,

This is another part of my problem. All the cool aircooled guys ( except you, Tony) have sold or moved out of the area, now I don't have any cool aircooled pals to hang out with.  Its all watercooled up here now Sad

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 02:42:14 am »

Its all watercooled up here now Sad

o0o0o0ohhh oettinger.   Cool

I don't have much to offer...my car's been laid up since May.  I'm sad too.   Cry

Mike H.

Sven was right.
kingsburgphil

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 03:46:47 am »

In my humble opinion scooters are cool, especially if you're into the Quadrophenia scene. Otherwise they're just transportation.
But a VW is somewhere between comfort food and a good dog, something you learn to appreciate and value more as you mature.

I only lament the cars I let slip away...never the ones I kept.   Grin
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 03:56:43 am »

Many a time I've sold cars that I still liked but was bored with or just lost interest in. Not one sale put me on easy street.. in fact, I usually replaced it with something different but very much the same... a project still needing time and money invested.
I say keep it. Have some fun with the scooters (they are very cool) but don't do anything you'll regret later.  As Race Head said, buy something for the car, or just roll it out and detail it up a bit.. commit to a small project on the car you've been wanting to get to.. do something and I bet the spark will come back.

As Phil just said "I only lament the cars I let slip away...never the ones I kept"
Very true Phil..

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 04:55:00 am by Dave Rosique » Logged
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 04:02:14 am »

Just smoke a joint and think what gives you passion! Filter through the crap and what makes YOU ! happy. Move on from there. Have fun and you only get one life.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 04:04:40 am by danny gabbard » Logged

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
low oval
DKK

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 04:41:16 am »

Dude, you've become quite philosophical since moving to Carson City.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 06:16:29 am »

Just smoke a joint and think what gives you passion! Filter through the crap and what makes YOU ! happy. Move on from there. Have fun and you only get one life.
Dude, you've become quite philosophical since moving to Carson City.
Jim, I don't think it's the location...   Roll Eyes
flatfire

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 09:10:32 am »

I live in a one bug village. Grab a wrench or a screwdriver use it on your car for an hour and you probably
will rekindle interest.
Make a list of jobs to do. Set a target. Even if your struggling, your bug will be easier to sell if its on the road.

Good luck
Wout

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 10:11:33 am »

It took us more then 2 years to get my bug back together (typ4 engine, IRS, 944 brakes, ...) and I also lost the feeling a bit but the moment I start the engine and take of, the feeling was back instantly  Grin.
Scooters are for kids who're not allowed to drive a car yet  Cool.

Start your bug and you'll forget the scooter thing!

Good luck

Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
http://aircooled-wout.fotopages.com/
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 10:12:43 am »

I've had many friends take the piss out of some of the stuff I've done to get my car running and driving (I will never be winning any show trophies!) while they've spent years working towards their dream car... and many of them have lost interest due to timescales etc. and ended up without their car, or missed years and years of racing andf fun while they constantly move the goal posts on their projects....

The number 1 thing with any project is being able to have even a little bit if fun with it. If you need your enthusiasm recharging, think about doing the minimum of work to at least allow you to give it a blast around, even if its not road legal and only on a strip.

I guarantee, a little seat time (even if its only a handful of seconds up the strip) makes it worthwhile and would spur you on to complete the project....

GO FOR IT!

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 13:34:32 pm »

Good points here, I actually DO have something...

One hour a day or every other day gets more accomplished than waiting to find a whole afternoon or day to spend.  Last fall I used this method at night after the young kids were in bed, and amazingly managed to get my stroker motor installed and drivable — not just putting the motor in but running new fuel line through the tunnel, oil system, etc.  It kept me motivated without the fear I was going to burn myself out.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 18:58:00 pm »

easy fix. We send case to Ray, get him to get it ready for 84mm crank. We need to get main bearings (not avail right now, unless you can find some), rod bearings, head studs. The heads you sent me do not have any spring shims under the springs, that's a job, but we're getting ahead of ourselves.
Dude, that car has been in your family, you can't kick it to the curb. I'll put a call into Ray. See if you can start getting the oil system in place... get the kafer bar set up... go see Holleran, he'll get you all revved up. Hang in there buddy.  Cool Come visit us.... we'll go for a wild ride.

Jim
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 19:39:49 pm »

Sell one scooter, get a nice engine for your car.  Cool

kafercup

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 20:17:06 pm »

easy fix. We send case to Ray, get him to get it ready for 84mm crank. We need to get main bearings (not avail right now, unless you can find some), rod bearings, head studs. The heads you sent me do not have any spring shims under the springs, that's a job, but we're getting ahead of ourselves.
Dude, that car has been in your family, you can't kick it to the curb. I'll put a call into Ray. See if you can start getting the oil system in place... get the kafer bar set up... go see Holleran, he'll get you all revved up. Hang in there buddy.  Cool Come visit us.... we'll go for a wild ride.

Jim

Smiley  Yeah, there's really no way I could see ever getting rid of the car.  It's been in the family since my Aunt bought it at Humphrey Motors in Hayward in '71.  I don't know if I told you, but she recently found the original window sticker for the car and sent it to me!

The CB heads don't have any shims??  Let me know the specifics on the bearings and studs we need and i'll track them down.  Usually the hunt for parts is a great inspiration for me! Smiley
Jim Ratto

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 20:58:45 pm »

nope... springs are right against the head.  Roll Eyes
I won't know stud length until I know cylinder length, I won't know cylinder length until I know deck, I won't know deck until I can put the crank in the case, can't put the crank in until we have bearings, and the case is chewed for 84 stroke. Sounds like a Dr Suess book....
I was bummed when I saw no shims.
kafercup

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 21:18:05 pm »

I guess they weren't ready to run out of the box.......... :/
Jim Ratto

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 22:12:53 pm »

...they rarely are. Wink
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 22:34:38 pm »

1302's are getting pretty thin on the ground now especially clean one's , but theirs a lot more pic's of scooters here ? looks like you've already decided

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
kafercup

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 23:14:59 pm »

1302's are getting pretty thin on the ground now especially clean one's , but theirs a lot more pic's of scooters here ? looks like you've already decided

Nope, far from decided.  The scooters are just an addition to the toys Smiley 
Jim Ratto

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 23:22:00 pm »

I know the feeling.  As I live in a town where I'm basically the extent of the VW activity, lol, it's real easy to get burned out and bored,

This is another part of my problem. All the cool aircooled guys ( except you, Tony) have sold or moved out of the area, now I don't have any cool aircooled pals to hang out with.  Its all watercooled up here now Sad

You know... I am in a bit of the same boat. I see the DKP guys as often as I can, but with family commitments etc, and living about 65 miles from the "epicenter", the majority of my air cooled time is solo... some time under the car, but mostly behind the wheel. Not sure about others, but driving mine does a number of things for me: 1) it's therapy to get up early on the weekend, fire the thing up and listen to it warm up, then run about in the hills northwest of where I live. I try to take the car out in clean bitchin’ condition, but not always. If it’s running well then it’s going out, regardless. The stress built up Mon thru Friday goes away pretty quickly after a few miles up and down the tach. 2)Keeps the car ‘dialed in’, through use. If it’s going to leak, rattle off, sever, burn up, or go flat, there’s a good chance that isn’t going to happen while idle in the garage. Every month I probably drive it a good 1000 miles or so. To work 2 or 3 days a week, then weekend country road runs, and of course, the drive to Fullerton and back. The times I’ve let it sit, then taken it on an extended drive is when I’ve screwed myself.
Anyway, not to take away from being a proud member of DKP, but really 95% of my ‘air cooled’ time is just me, no matter if I am washing it, tuning it, screwing new crap on or best of all driving it.

SCOTTP

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 03:18:21 am »

Simple....Move to where there are VW's   Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers III

'63 Ghia Coupe

140" 2332cc powered Frameworks Dragster

'63 Notchback in the works
Fiatdude

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 05:02:58 am »

Man -- -- I hope you got a full face Helmet to ride those scooters -- 'cause I sure as hell be embarassed to be seen on one

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 05:53:38 am »

Man -- -- I hope you got a full face Helmet to ride those scooters -- 'cause I sure as hell be embarassed to be seen on one

They're fun to ride but you wouldn't want your friends to see you doing it!  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Fiatdude

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 06:36:50 am »

Kinda like a Fat Chick Roll Eyes

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

kafercup

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 07:23:43 am »

If you're too insecure to ride one, you've got other issues to deal with.  70 miles per hour one one of these is a blast! 
Fiatdude

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 20:30:15 pm »

If you're too insecure to ride one, you've got other issues to deal with.  70 miles per hour one one of these is a blast! 

70 MPH -- -- Man, I would say it is time to shift outta 1st gear

But hey I owned a Vespa once -- when I lived on Bermuda -- It never looked as nice as this one but it got me around

http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X1342&site=americanmusclecar.wordpress.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Famericanmusclecar.files.wordpress.com%2F2010%2F08%2F61-vespa400-rear.jpg&sref=http%3A%2F%2Famericanmusclecar.wordpress.com%2F

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: