The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 20:52:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Building a nice 1500cc?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Building a nice 1500cc?  (Read 34738 times)
Wout

« on: October 18, 2010, 11:24:10 am »

Hi

Want to build a good engine for my 67 callook Karmann Ghia (still to build  Roll Eyes), want it nice and clean but don't want to kill the whole budget of the restoration of the car. So any suggestions or idea's would be very welcome! I'm not looking for a very powerfull engine, have my 68 beetle to play with  Grin, so I'm rather looking for a good reliable single port engine. Found myself a good H-engine, so dismantle this one and let it measured will be the first step I think? I'm not sure if I want small double carb's or not, but it's cleaner IMO. I want the car pas daily mot so that why I want the H-case.

I know it's not a 300bhp turbo monster but hope there's someone out there with nice idea's who's willing to share them with me  Wink.

Thanx!!!

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
http://aircooled-wout.fotopages.com/
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 00:58:54 am »

Hi

Want to build a good engine for my 67 callook Karmann Ghia (still to build  Roll Eyes), want it nice and clean but don't want to kill the whole budget of the restoration of the car. So any suggestions or idea's would be very welcome! I'm not looking for a very powerfull engine, have my 68 beetle to play with  Grin, so I'm rather looking for a good reliable single port engine. Found myself a good H-engine, so dismantle this one and let it measured will be the first step I think? I'm not sure if I want small double carb's or not, but it's cleaner IMO. I want the car pas daily mot so that why I want the H-case.

Wout, I'm not familiar with the M.O.T. rules/regulations, but if you can get away with dual singe throat carbs on your H series case, I'd go that route. Single port engines run very well on that set up. You can also drop a mild cam (Engle 100) and do some mild head work (smooth out the intakes/exhausts) and still end up with a very reliable, yet fun engine to drive.

My temporary engine (it's either a 1,500 or 1,600cc... don't know, haven't taken it apart to find out) is single port & stock, but I switched the carbs for the 34mm ICT Webers, a German Bosch .009, and a custom made 1 5/8" A-1 Sidewinder exhaust with matching diameter flanged lightweight heater boxes. It gets great mileage (long as my foot's not in it), and does actually very well on the freeways and other high speed roads. Beats driving a bone stock engine while I'm slowly building my bigger engine.

If you can, get a set of Kadron or ICT carbs... then go have some fun. Great low end torque with those heads, too.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:01:09 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 01:10:14 am »

Fred has got it. While you're in there counterweight the crank and lighten the flywheel. Make it a 1600cc while you're at it... can you even get 83's any more??

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 02:12:18 am »

Might as well put in 87s and go 1641

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
bugnut68

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 02:19:32 am »

Hi

Wout, I'm not familiar with the M.O.T. rules/regulations, but if you can get away with dual singe throat carbs on your H series case, I'd go that route. Single port engines run very well on that set up. You can also drop a mild cam (Engle 100) and do some mild head work (smooth out the intakes/exhausts) and still end up with a very reliable, yet fun engine to drive.

My temporary engine (it's either a 1,500 or 1,600cc... don't know, haven't taken it apart to find out) is single port & stock, but I switched the carbs for the 34mm ICT Webers, a German Bosch .009, and a custom made 1 5/8" A-1 Sidewinder exhaust with matching diameter flanged lightweight heater boxes. It gets great mileage (long as my foot's not in it), and does actually very well on the freeways and other high speed roads. Beats driving a bone stock engine while I'm slowly building my bigger engine.

If you can, get a set of Kadron or ICT carbs... then go have some fun. Great low end torque with those heads, too.

So that exhaust doesn't kill your bottom end any?  I figured 1-5/8" would be way too big for stock valved heads... Good to know for the future, a mouse motor may be in my future after a score of parts I picked up this weekend for cheap!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 02:52:05 am »

So that exhaust doesn't kill your bottom end any?  I figured 1-5/8" would be way too big for stock valved heads... Good to know for the future, a mouse motor may be in my future after a score of parts I picked up this weekend for cheap!

It runs really well this way, but I'm sure I'm not getting the maximum bottom end, like you said. I was just thinking ahead for my next engine. Didn't see the point of buying two exhaust systems.

Rick & Zach, you're both right... I forgot about the 1,641cc option and the counter-weighted crank. D'OH! Those are both required on a small engine. Ran that set up with a bored out stock Solex carb,, dual port heads, Engle 100 cam, tall K&N filter, Phoenix hide-a-way header/muffler (made a set of fake factory pea shooter exhaust tips), and a Bosch .019 distributor on my Java Green Euro spec. '66 Bug. VERY fun engine to drive. Bored out that main jet as big as I could with a jet reamer kit.

~Sarge
Wout

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:14:57 am »

Thanx! Don't know about the 1641cc, it depends on how good the 1500cc stuff is. All the other things sounds very good and not over budget  Grin. I think I have to read Dyno Don's topic about singleporting again  Wink. If someone has a set of those carb's for sale or may know some, please let me know? I'm not in a hurry cause I'm building a new garage so first things first. When the garage is finished, I can work at home on the engine and the karmann  Cheesy.

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
nicolas

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 10:36:36 am »

1641 should be as expensive as a 1500 engine regarding pistons and cylinders. like Zach said, 83's are maybe even harder to find and 87 pops up frequently at a good price.

1957lowlight

Philip Steenackers

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 18:44:05 pm »

I would go for a nice single port dual carb engine set up like in the days.  A riechert or TDE set up would do very nice and ad to that vintage callook theme you are looking after.  I rather not use modern aircleaners, but something more vintage.

Philip Steenackers
Flatline Lowriders
Belgium
Wout

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 19:03:53 pm »

Hi Philip

Would be nice, do you know some carbs for sale?  Grin

Wanted the car and engine ready for EBI 2011, but as I'm still building my new garage that's not a good plan. Want to do it the good way and at my own garage so the car has to waith  Roll Eyes.

Any pics nice single port dual engines are very welcome  Cheesy

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
fredy66

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 20:22:49 pm »

t-3 carbs is what you looking for not to price.

lots of info and cool stuff hear

http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=14384

arabia slugs
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 20:28:16 pm »

I had a stock 1500 (rebuildt to stock spec with balanced crank) in my KG for a while. Just added 1,25:1 rockers, 1 1/2" exhaust and dual single 34mm solex carbs. It was the strongest "stock" engine i ever had!!   Grin

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 22:05:50 pm »

cool topic - I have been thinking about "stock-ish" motors for a while  Wink

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,13878.0.html

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rennsurfer

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 00:23:42 am »

Really dig the air cleaner housings on this!

In fact, that entire engine is wall-to-wall WIN.

~Sarge
fredy66

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 00:41:01 am »

just got my self a 1300 dual port. Friday i,m picking it up  Grin
going to ad the dual progressive carbs i have a header and some 1.25 rockers. home porting and a bit or comp
any body have any info on porting

arabia slugs
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 00:55:26 am »

Very very cool - is there some 356 parts in there somewhere  Undecided Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
CHR!S/DVK

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 07:41:02 am »

what kind of distributor cap is that??

Member of DVK - Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 10:31:35 am »

25hp

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 10:57:40 am »

Hello.
There is no need for a counterweigthed crank in a single port motor of that kind. Just get the stock crank/flywheel/clutch balanced. Rods and pistons too. Personally I like lightening the flywheel 2 lbs (1 kg) on these engines for faster rpm pick up.
I like the CB2280 cam. Very nice idle and good overall torque (Slightly less top end over the W100, but better low end)
Clean up the ports, shorten intake guides 5-7 mm. cut back valves, 3 angle valve job 8,5 - 1 CR.
Yes on the ICT´s or 34 mm PCI´s/ Brazil Solex or even good condition type 3 carbs.

I think a 1˝" header will be too large. It will kill the lower end torque, which is what these engines are st up for originally. I would stay with a regular 1 3/8. Its also cheaper, and today you can get a variety of good mufflers for it.
T
Wout

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 14:39:03 pm »

Thanks to all!!!!!

When I start to it, I'll updat this topic  Cheesy.

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 18:13:53 pm »

I'm running a stock 85x69 set up in my car with Dual 36 Del DRLA's 4-Tuned 1 1/2 ,German 009, and it runs "Great"..! I sooo love it

My 2275 is ready but I kinda don't wanna put it in cuz I will miss my ( very reliable ) little motor....I must say it did run a little better with my 1 3/8 on it though !

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Dokke/DFL

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 18:47:25 pm »

Hi Wout,

This is my engine from my old 1500'67 beetle that I sold last year.
It's really simple, single port with Weber 34 PICT and Bosch 009, that's it and runs really GREAT !!!

Cheers, Dokke
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Wout

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 19:34:14 pm »

Hi Dokke

Thanks for the comment and the pic!
Nice engine but want mine even more simple, want to use an electric fuelpump so I can hide it. Have a doghouse (kind a 30hp fanhouse) but with place for the oilcooler, so those little things should made it very clean.

Want to start at it wright now, but have to build my garage first  Roll Eyes.

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
1957lowlight

Philip Steenackers

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 20:33:26 pm »

hey Wout,

I like the idea of a mildly tuned stuck engine on dual carbs, especially in a Ghia, where you have lot's of engine room.  I had a stock 1600cc dual port on dual 36mm dell'orto's in my beetle and it ran great.  Low budget and all.  I don't think it's a good plan to rush your garage, the ghia and the engine ready for EBI 4.  Take your time and do it right.

Here is a picture of the 1600 cc engine.  Air cleaners were 356C's for solex P11 carbs, modified at home to fit the dell's. 

Philip
Wout

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 09:26:55 am »

If someone has some vintage carb's or singleport inlet's laying arround, and willing to sell them, please let me know  Wink

Thanks!

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
fredy66

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 12:37:58 pm »

If someone has some vintage carb's or singleport inlet's laying arround, and willing to sell them, please let me know  Wink

Thanks!

gr
Wout

i have some dual port 1300 heads and the carbs in for sall

arabia slugs
Rennsurfer

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 13:57:00 pm »

The air cleaners on the last two engine pictures look GREAT.

~Sarge
Wout

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 15:18:04 pm »

Thanks!

gr
Wout

i have some dual port 1300 heads and the carbs in for sall

Thanks but I want to stay with the single ports  Wink

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
fredy66

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 15:18:58 pm »

Cheesy

arabia slugs
1957lowlight

Philip Steenackers

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 19:00:35 pm »

@DKK Fred: thanks for the comment.  At that time I wanted a cool enginebay, but I had no butget as all of the money was going to the Ghia (and still is Roll Eyes), so with an investment of second hand 356c aircleaners, I had something special.

Philip
Flatline-Lowriders
Belgium
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: