The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 15:40:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351095 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  A few more shots of my CHOP as I finish paint match and apron work...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A few more shots of my CHOP as I finish paint match and apron work...  (Read 5807 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: October 30, 2010, 00:29:36 am »

I thought I would post a couple more progress shots of how my chop is coming along with the wheel conversion to alloys, black powdercoated trim, EMPI steel eyebrow style deck lid, etc.  It is coming together nicely. Next shots will be with the decklid and apron on and painted to match the car.  Soon there after the 2275 will get set in place with all the go fast goodies attached.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 01:44:49 am »

very cool! Cool

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
rick m

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 02:25:45 am »

Yeah...can't wait to fire her up and go on some road trips to Cal and other VW events this fall and next Spring.

RM

Rick Mortensen
volksnut

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 14:29:18 pm »

Looks great Rick, but one question, why the side trim....
dirk zeyen

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 14:36:58 pm »

love the 7x15 fuchs rear wheels on your car!!!

what tire size?

back again!!!
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 18:48:07 pm »

Your car is looking good! Something I do when color matching, I take test panel and lay it on car or section that I am trying to match and take water hose and spray panels with water at the same time and look at colors through the water at same time. It helps me sometimes when haveing trouble with a color. Hope that helps

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 19:25:12 pm »

Yeah...can't wait to fire her up and go on some road trips to Cal and other VW events this fall and next Spring.

RM

Car looks great Rick. Hope you and Ann are well.

Before you jump, check the depth.
rick m

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 20:31:55 pm »

Volksnut, this is a car with a 10 year old paint job that had the chrome trim on it already. If I were redoing the car entirely it would not be on it.  Hardly worth repainting the whole care at this point to get rid of the trim.

Danny, I have run through about 5 test panels already and decided that close was good enough for this project. One day in the future I will repaint the whole car and worry about getting everything right on it.  Right now, just want to get it done and enjoy it for awhile.  This was just an update project that got out of hand. When I got the car it had EMPI 5 spokes on it, a white interior (YIKES!), no guages, a junk motor and miscellaneous issues.  I just want to give it a facelift and enjoy it for awhile.

Hey Bernard, great to hear from you. When will you be over again?  Would love to hook up with you.  I will have the chop going in a couple weeks.  Will have to hook up with you and Carol if you are over for one of the events in So Cal. Talk with you soon.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
rick m

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 20:52:09 pm »

Dirk,

The trick on running the 7's is using 66 axles. I ran the late model drums you can get from CIP1 with the Porsche pattern and 68 or later style backing plates. Also the tires are Pirelli Cinaturato's that are 205/70/15 - 95T M&S.  They were the perfect fit on the 7" rims and tuck nicely inside the stock width fenders.  I got the wheels from a wrecking yard for $350 off a 944 Porsche.  The fronts are late model alloys that I wanted so they match the 7" rears.  I had Eric Vaughn in Monrovia, California, narrow the front rims from 6" to 4.5".  So, I have a 2" narrowed front beam out front with a set of late model 4.5" FUCHS.

Eric Vaugh's welding looks like a machine weld. In fact, one of the front wheels was so close on balance that when we mounted the front tire and balanced one of the rims, it didn't even need a weight. The other wheel needed a weight about 1/3 the size of the weights that were on the Empi 5 spokes I took off the car.

If you ever need any wheels widened or narrowed,  ERIC VAUGHN is the man!  You can find him on the internet if you quiery his business in Monrovia, California.

Rick M
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 05:51:14 am by rick m » Logged

Rick Mortensen
Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 21:39:25 pm »

Hey Bernard, great to hear from you. When will you be over again?  Would love to hook up with you.  I will have the chop going in a couple weeks.  Will have to hook up with you and Carol if you are over for one of the events in So Cal. Talk with you soon.

Rick M
We are over in January. If your coming to Anaheim let me know. Would be great to see you.

rick m

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 05:49:22 am »

Bernard,

I have a lot of accumulated time off. We may just take some time and come over. Do you know what week you plan on arriving and being in So Cal?

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
dirk zeyen

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 10:58:46 am »

thank you rick!
very usefull information!!!

dirk

back again!!!
rick m

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 15:17:16 pm »

Dirk,

Glad to help. I've put sevens on the back of several of my cars. They really make a statement compared to 6's. It gives the car the "Big & Little" look that so many street rodders go after. Big in the back and little up front.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 00:01:43 am »

Bernard,

I have a lot of accumulated time off. We may just take some time and come over. Do you know what week you plan on arriving and being in So Cal?

Rick M

Sent you a message Rick. Bernie

rick m

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 15:11:34 pm »

Thanks Bernie. See you in Jan.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »