The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 08:51:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The most iconic Cal-look/VW wheels
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The most iconic Cal-look/VW wheels  (Read 14781 times)
nigelg65

« on: November 03, 2010, 16:16:39 pm »

I know this might seem similar to other threads here on The Lounge, but I'm interested to know which five wheels people think are the most iconic in Cal-look/VW modifying. Pictures please if you have them.
Ivan

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 17:07:02 pm »

I'm probably biased...

So how about saying they're one of the wheels here; http://www.terovirta.com/volks/Frame.php?page=VolksWheelsFrame.html
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 17:35:52 pm »

Let's see my list would be in order

1. BRMS
2. Empi 5s
3. Empi 8s
4. Alloys
5. Empi Sprints

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 18:11:44 pm »

The ones that had a impact on me and as I first saw them , Porsche chromies, Alloys, Both empi 5-8 spokes. Kinda a funny story that bill rogers and I were talking about, Anybody remember the (COX gas powered cars) My first takeing to 5 spoke empis were on tne cox-049 bug when I was a kid.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 20:01:28 pm »

My list is similar to DKK Rick.  Sorry, I have 6 wheels that all impacted me when I saw them on the early cars before the CAL LOOK was defined.I have listed mine in the order that I saw them on VWs.

1. Porsche Chrome Wheels
2. BRMS
3. DDS Aliminum Flat Face wheel
4. Empi 5s
5. Empi 8s
6. Alloys

A lot of the early cars could only afford the Porsche style chromies.  My first Aluminum wheels were the EMPI 5's. I liked them because they had the American Mag look that was popular in the early 70's.  The CRAGAR wheels were popular on all my buddies 55-57 chevy's, and then the BRM's grew on me.  I did not like all the time required to rub out the magnesium wheels so I stuck with aluminum wheels.   Later, the PORSCHE 911 FUCHS wheel caught me and I have a preference for them because of the forging, the light weight and how true the wheels run at speed.

All the wheels listed were on all types of look cars.  Another wheel that came along was the CENTERLINE wheel and it was on a lot of look cars as well.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 20:33:54 pm »

there's none at the first place but it's more a top 5 list

brms, empi5/8 , american racing torq trust D(5x205) ,dds ,& fuchs(alloys)

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 21:13:18 pm »

The ones that had a impact on me and as I first saw them , Porsche chromies, Alloys, Both empi 5-8 spokes. Kinda a funny story that bill rogers and I were talking about, Anybody remember the (COX gas powered cars) My first takeing to 5 spoke empis were on tne cox-049 bug when I was a kid.

Yes I had one and a buggy later

Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 21:22:54 pm »

1. BRMS
2. Empi 5s
3. Empi 8s
4. Alloys
5. Chromies
6.centerlines

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
bugnut68

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 23:17:30 pm »

On late models, I love the 914 2.0 liter alloys...Grin  My favorite wheel that I couldn't run  with my CB drop spindles and disc brakes.
Hecker

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 03:27:45 am »

In order of the wheels I've owned......
    5.Centerlines (copies)
    4. Empi 5 spokes
    3. Porsche Alloys (14X 5 1/2)
    2. American 5 spokes / w knock offs
    1. B R M's (finally) even though they are Repops
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 04:54:49 am »

Here are my choices in order   
                                        1.  BRM   pre replica, if you saw these on the street it was like seeing a unicorn.
                                        2. Alloys  911 & 914  many iconic Cars built around these
                                        3. American Racing mag 5x205   very very rare wheel 
                                        4. Empi 5's & 8's  top shelf wheel of the time
                                        5. Porsche chromies  w/ nipple hubcaps     still looks timeless today

As a side note, I was thinking about it & with the exception of the 4 lug wheels I have had all of these on my 59 at one time or another.
                     interesting thread...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:22:03 am by Bill Schwimmer » Logged

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
nigelg65

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 18:18:16 pm »

Anyone got a nice straight-on photograph of an original BRM and Torker?
streetvw

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 20:20:38 pm »

Here are my choices in order   
                                        1.  BRM   pre replica, if you saw these on the street it was like seeing a unicorn.
                                        2. Alloys  911 & 914  many iconic Cars built around these
                                        3. American Racing mag 5x205   very very rare wheel 
                                        4. Empi 5's & 8's  top shelf wheel of the time
                                        5. Porsche chromies  w/ nipple hubcaps     still looks timeless today

As a side note, I was thinking about it & with the exception of the 4 lug wheels I have had all of these on my 59 at one time or another.
                     interesting thread...

don't remember seeing any shots of your car with american 5's on it Bill you got any cause I bet it looked great

as for my choices  they are

1 BRM's
2 centrerlines (5 205)
3 EMPI 8's
4 Sprintstars (5 205)
5 American racing 5's (5 130)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 20:47:01 pm by streetvw » Logged
ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 20:21:38 pm »

Here is my list:

1) BRM's ( Brillo Racing Magnesium )
2) DDS/Erco
3) EMPI 5's ( 2pcs)
4) Porsche chromie wheels w/356 drums
5) Alloys

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 20:45:01 pm »

this may not align with everybody else's opinion, but my list in intensity of impact to me

1. BRM pre 1994 (when my first few VW friends landed Flat 4's). No other VW related part (not even 48mm Webers) seems to be shrouded in the lore and mystique of the BRM. Hard to think of a car I didn't like that was shod with real BRMs. The exodus I made to Costa Mesa in 1990 was BRM overload and was a real turning point in my interest in hot rodded VW's.

2. The 5 x 205 chrome 356 wheel. My '67 came from its second owner into my hands Dec 1986 wearing these and 185 Pirelli P3s at all 4 corners. I miss them. On some cars, it's hard to find a better looking wheel. The quirky beauty of so many pre-BRM 1965-72 cars owe their identity to the chrome 5 lug. Hi Sarge.

3. Empi 8/ or repop. If you got into VW's in the 80's like I did, you'll remember it as the wheel most everybody had. At least in my hood. First fast VW I saw in action in 1985 wore yellow ones on Fuldas.

4. 911 alloy in original paint scheme/finish. Again, hard to put a set on any car and have it look bad, save for dialing in a basket-worth of negative camber. One of my all time favorite hot rod VW's wore a gleaming set... Pete Staat's metallic blue sedan with ARPM 94 x 84.

5. nobody mentioned the FF BRM. Allowed access to so many regular guys like me and so many others, though like I said I miss my chrome 5 lugs. Where would "Cal Look " hype be without the FF BRM? My guess is still way under the radar.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 21:51:48 pm »

BRMs
Porsche Alloys
Empi 8s
Porsche 356 steel wheels
Ansens/slot style because I like it
and early Rivieras (Formula Vee) because I have 4 on my car  Cheesy Grin

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 02:35:24 am »

Personally, I don't care about what's iconic, but as far as my favorite Cal Look wheels:

Alloys, or 911 wheels, or Fuchs, or whatever they're called these days. I still call 'em alloys. Only in their original factory finish with black lug nuts.

Porsche 356 steel wheels (we called 'em chromies many years ago). But NOT chrome. Hated 'em that way then, as well as now.

2.0 liters, or two liters, or 914 Fuchs, or whatever. (we called 'em 2.0 liters) Love those wheels if they're in their original factory finish. Still yet to see a proper set on a VW. Once in a blue moon, a set will surface on a nicely restored properly done 914. I'm not talking about the black background... but the dull background with the slightly polished and anodized raised spoke and outer lip areas.

Even in the old days, I hated polished wheels. To me, less is more and shows off the wheel design(s) much better when the finish is understated. Yes, I had a few wheels that were sent out for polishing, but quickly grew tired of it.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 03:54:31 am »

2.0 liters, or two liters, or 914 Fuchs, or whatever. (we called 'em 2.0 liters) Love those wheels if they're in their original factory finish. Still yet to see a proper set on a VW. Once in a blue moon, a set will surface on a nicely restored properly done 914. I'm not talking about the black background... but the dull background with the slightly polished and anodized raised spoke and outer lip areas.

Dude.... like I said lets mask em off and you bead blast em'!  Lets get it done!  I agree.

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
2manytoys

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 04:24:38 am »

Personally, I don't care about what's iconic, but as far as my favorite Cal Look wheels:

Alloys, or 911 wheels, or Fuchs, or whatever they're called these days. I still call 'em alloys. Only in their original factory finish with black lug nuts.

Porsche 356 steel wheels (we called 'em chromies many years ago). But NOT chrome. Hated 'em that way then, as well as now.

Even in the old days, I hated polished wheels. To me, less is more and shows off the wheel design(s) much better when the finish is understated. Yes, I had a few wheels that were sent out for polishing, but quickly grew tired of it.

DITTO

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
Rennsurfer

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 04:25:57 am »

Dude.... like I said lets mask em off and you bead blast em'!  Lets get it done!  I agree.

Long as I don't hit the raised spokes or the lip, I'm totally into this, Worm. It'll look SO cool.

~Sarge
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 07:25:11 am »

20"Dubs with lighted LED valve caps. 

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 15:03:07 pm »

1. Magnesium BRM
2. Empi Rader
3. DDS
4. American racing Torque-Thrust wide-5 magnesium
5. Empi 5-spokes (not polished)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 15:37:15 pm by Richard Roth » Logged
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 15:11:08 pm »

Brm magnesium
Fusch  in 4,5 and 6 inch
Empi'5 not polished
DDS Shocked
American racing magnesium

team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 15:38:17 pm »

PICTURES!

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 17:34:19 pm »

20"Dubs with lighted LED valve caps. 

PICTURES!

There... Fixed it for you Glen!  Grin

No need to thank me!

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 05:44:42 am »

i-con-ic
–adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of an icon.
2. Art . (of statues, portraits, etc.) executed according to a convention or tradition.

My opinion as I remember it, based on the 70's Cal -Look scene. I'm only listing the real deal here-- no re pop.
1) BRM
2) Porsche 911 Alloy
3 & 4) EMPI five and eight spoke
5) Porsche 356 steelies, chrome or painted, w/ nipple hubcaps

First runner up) Centerline
Second runner up) American Five Spoke, 5X205

I made the above choices based on how I perceived things in the 70's
To quote Bill: "Seeing a BRM on the street was like seeing a unicorn"
911 Alloys: Rarely seen on a VW, when they were it was usually a very nice car.
EMPI Five and/or Eight Spokes: What can you say? Depending on the car, the Five or Eight Spoke was the perfect choice for a true Cal-Look
356 Steelies: Timeless, reasonable price, clean looking.. painted or chrome, always looks good.

Centerlines: Well received by the Cal-Look crowd for a number of reasons.. clean looking, plentiful, backspacing options, STRONG, just to list a few
American Five Spoke, friggin rare! Even in the 70's! Nice looking wheel that had less attention that it deserved.. To this day, one of my favorite wheels.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 05:47:17 am by Dave Rosique » Logged
Ivan

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 14:26:52 pm »

Although not iconic, I think that detailed properly magnesium Mahle Gas Burners look superb. I've got them on the white '67, they're painted in gunmetal grey and I really like the way they look.
I saw a car with the really cheap repops at the weekend and sadly I can't say the same about those wheels.   
madfrog

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 19:47:58 pm »

Although not iconic, I think that detailed properly magnesium Mahle Gas Burners look superb. I've got them on the white '67, they're painted in gunmetal grey and I really like the way they look.

Does it matter if they are not polished?  Roll Eyes Grin
 Pic courtesy of Vince, thanks mate !

Moderation, even in moderation.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 01:29:16 am »

Madfrog, that's the only way I can handle those wheels... either all silver or like your picture.

~Sarge
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 09:18:31 am »

Madfrog, that's the only way I can handle those wheels... either all silver or like your picture.

Or until you lift them. Ugly yes, but very light.

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: