The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:23:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350676 Posts in 28571 Topics by 6818 Members
Latest Member: Mk-Zero
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Need help big time.!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need help big time.!!!!  (Read 5835 times)
Eddie DVK

« on: November 15, 2010, 11:27:13 am »

Hello loungers, I need help big time......

I have build a new engine:
Type 4 71x94 engine (Lightweight Type 1 pistons)
heads 42x36 valves single berg springs comp 9.5:1.
cam is a Schleicher 316 (duration 316 - 8.50 mm hub)
40IDF (Spanish) (have cleaned those and placed 'a CB performance IDF update kit')

But after the running in period, the #1 cylinder wont work... it looks like the carb is flooding this cylinder with gas ....
tested everything.... the spark is ok... the compression is ok...
have adjusted and checked the floatlevel in the carbs (did replace the needle valve with the update kit)
If flooding is the problem shoudn t this be on both cylinders #1 and #2.
switched venturis from one carb to the other, switched jets from one carb to the other....
It even floods with idling?HuhHuh
(Did not switch the carbs from one side to the other yet, because of clearance problems with the shroud)

think I have tried it al....removed and the carb on the #1 side for several times now, But still the #1 cylinder isn t working.

Does somebody know what to look for...

Help much appreciated

Kind Regards Edgar
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:29:20 am by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 15:33:09 pm »

do you have a electric pump? or a stock type? electric may need a regulator. the pressure will find a way and it usually is between the top part and the carb body if the carb has been opened or from the mains because the fuellevel is too high.

OR go for a type1  Grin
Eddie DVK

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 16:01:43 pm »

do you have a electric pump? or a stock type? electric may need a regulator. the pressure will find a way and it usually is between the top part and the carb body if the carb has been opened or from the mains because the fuellevel is too high.

OR go for a type1  Grin

Thanks,
But forget to mention have a pierburg electric fuelpump with a 'King' (bowl) fuel filter incl regulator with a fuelpressure meter attached to it, fuel pressure reads 0.2-0.25 bar.

Have been looking between carb body and top, but can not see it leak there.
It looks a like a TYPE 1(csp Kit) Wink

KInd Regards Edgar

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 17:20:52 pm »

PM.

Done ? Not Yet.
Ragtop

8.93 at SCC 2012

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 20:45:09 pm »

Is your cam alright? Are the valves opening as they should?

Turbo Town "Home of the overboost addicts"
Eddie DVK

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 21:30:52 pm »

Is your cam alright? Are the valves opening as they should?

only did a breakin and a 5-10 min drive...
Yes readjusted the valves after the breakin and 10minl drive....
Cam is new, so should be ok

kind regards edgar

Regards Edgar

besserwisser

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 22:48:48 pm »

When I had those uppdate kits we had problems similar to yours. In our kit there was a hole missing in the gasket from CB. I compared it to the original and found the missing hole. Punched it out and after that everything worked fine.
Eddie DVK

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 08:17:19 am »

When I had those uppdate kits we had problems similar to yours. In our kit there was a hole missing in the gasket from CB. I compared it to the original and found the missing hole. Punched it out and after that everything worked fine.

Thanks,
will look at that, but could you be more specific, is this the gasket between the body and topplate?

Kind regards edgar

Regards Edgar

Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 10:58:09 am »

You may have a porous float chamber that is leaking fuel through the body of the carb to one cylinder. I had this on a pair of Empi HPMX carbs. It drove me mad as it took ages to trace the problem. It's fairly uncommon, but could be possible. Matt

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Eddie DVK

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 08:42:06 am »

You may have a porous float chamber that is leaking fuel through the body of the carb to one cylinder. I had this on a pair of Empi HPMX carbs. It drove me mad as it took ages to trace the problem. It's fairly uncommon, but could be possible. Matt

Was thinking about this too maybe a crack or something, because checked almost everything else....
Will look for this also...

Thanks

Kind regards Edgar

Regards Edgar

1835cc

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 09:13:57 am »

Dissconect your carb,and see if it is dripping from the intake manifoil with the fuel pressure you use Wink
andyoldschool

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 20:10:04 pm »

also check the accelerator pump jet valve , as they can leek . look down the choke at idle , you will see fuel spotting onto the butterflies (maybe)
Eddie DVK

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 08:45:19 am »

Dissconect your carb,and see if it is dripping from the intake manifoil with the fuel pressure you use Wink

Thanks,
but already tried this....doesn t leak...

also check the accelerator pump jet valve , as they can leek . look down the choke at idle , you will see fuel spotting onto the butterflies (maybe)

Thanks,
already checked this too but nothing to see...

But keep coming with suggestions

Kind regards Edgar

Regards Edgar

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: