The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 06:47:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Stock dog house cooler vs electric fan oil cooler ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Stock dog house cooler vs electric fan oil cooler ?  (Read 1887 times)
Frenchy Dehoux

« on: November 30, 2010, 17:54:33 pm »

I would like to get some feedback on who is using the stock dog house cooler with an electric fan oil cooler combined. Or is anyone only using the electric fan oil cooler. And if you are using the electric fan do you have it set up on a thermostat or manual switch. I have seen all styles in the past just curious.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 18:36:15 pm »

On my type 3 I had a type 4 cooler in it, Berg full flow with a Mocal sandwich thermostat (between filter & filter adapter), a dual fan pack Setrab oil cooler, and a thermostat after the Setrab to switch the fans on if needed. Worked awesome!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 07:11:56 am »

Frenchy,

I have always run the stock dog house (this time the type 4) along with an external cooler with a fan on my big street motors.  When living in California I did not run an auxilliary cooler but changed my whole paradigm about cooling when moving to Arizona in the early 80's.  I set my new motor for the chop up with a THERMOSTAT and an auxilliary switch to over-ride the normally thermostat controlled fan.  Since the doghouse only gets about 16% to 18% of the air circulated by the cooling fan, I think you can get by with just a remote cooler and fan.  The Porsche fan schroud conversions use only an external cooler and all the guys I've talked with say they work fine.  The only downside on any thing electric is if it does not work.  The constant flow of a belt driven fan ensures some cooling.  I am certain the GERMAN engineers were thinking in that vane.

Still, many domestic cars continue to use electric fans on the radiators and they are very dependable.

JMO

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: