The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 13:38:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  How Low is your Ride and Why?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: How Low is your Ride and Why?  (Read 23452 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2007, 17:40:38 pm »

Thanks for the compliment, John....Meant to drive? Yes.....My cars was daily driven for almost 11 years. Even back and forth from Chino to Anaheim for about 6 of those. Now, I'm just trying to preserve it. It comes out when it needs to.

That is a sweet looking motor. Is that a hammertone finish?

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2007, 18:16:44 pm »

Lanny's car is awesome, except if he gives it the Mulholland look  Shocked

Then he'll have to send Tims T shirt back  Wink
He Can Send Me the T Shirt I am 100% Old School and a 100% Old Fart Grin Grin Grin

There's already one old fart (sorry Sarge  Grin) waiting for one
Hey I am Older Then Sarge LOL he can Wait for his  he has longer time left to wear his LMAO Grin Grin Grin  Tell them Sarge OLD FARTS RULE!!!!

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Gary Justus

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2007, 18:19:24 pm »

Yes, Louis...Silver Hammertone powdercoat. Thanks for the compliment.
LuftsickTero

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2007, 20:23:13 pm »

SOME OF THE NEWEST AND BEST CAL-LOOK CARS FROM THE STATES; DOUG M., ARRON B.,RYAN R.,RANDY G.,AND THERE ARE OTHERS THAT DID NOT FOLLOW THAT SO CALLED "WHAT CAL-LOOK SHOULD BE"... ..... THEY ALL HAVE SIDE MOULDINGS, WINDOW RUBBER WITH TRIM, VENT WING DOORS, FULL BUMPERS... YES THEY ARE RAKED IN THE BACK WITH BIG MOTORS BUT THATS ABOUT IT...  To Me Those Cars Are all RESTO CAL's  Redone Stock Car Built Motor and Trans, Flat 4's or Alloys Slamed and a Flat 4 Steering Wheel Hardly Can call that a Cal Look

Couple of photos you posted earlier.. How popular was it to run with stock trim, bumpers, indicators, vent windows in 70's? Were there more cars like these or cars according to the drawing in Hot VWs?

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2007, 23:34:31 pm »

Couple of photos you posted earlier.. How popular was it to run with stock trim, bumpers, indicators, vent windows in 70's? Were there more cars like these or cars according to the drawing in Hot VWs?

LOTS!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Sarge

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2007, 23:53:20 pm »

This appears to be a rear height issue, drop my 67 a few inches in the rear, it's a completely different look. Is my car 'Cal Look' or 'Resto Cal'? I just built it to please the DKP boys.

Hello Lanny you car is Very nice and well Done but it is more of a RESTO Cal And it is built just like the DKP Cars of today All the Trim and Bumpers left on, as far as trailing a Car like yours or anyother Cal Look  I might do it for the First few Shows But After That It Would Be Street Driven What Good or Fun is a Car You cant Enjoy to Me I would Ratther Drive It Then Worry about a Rain Drop on it you spend all the Money to Redo a Car Then it sits in the garage under a Car Cover I can Think of alot of other things I could do with the Money Spent On A Car thats sits and Collects Dust....

"There is no other way to build a Cal Look" ....Shubee

My car has no...front Koni shocks, Talbot mirror, custom dash, tinted rear quarter glass, hard to find wheels, deck lid stand offs, flush mounted license plate or quit pack muffler.  I built my car to my taste; not from some blueprint, cookie-cutter drawing from the 70's.  So, maybe it's not "Cal Look"...who really cares?  The bottom line is simple...I like my car the way it is.  Here's a question for you...What do these guys all have in common (other then being DKP members); Art Gutierrez, Jim Kaforski, John Rayburn, Bill Schwimmer, Jim Kurlinski, Dave Mason, Stephan Szantai, Henry Oelkers Jim Ratto, and Carlos De Alba?  All of them have chrome trim.  Resto Cal??  I seriously doubt it.

DKP III
Gary Justus

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2007, 23:55:05 pm »

This thread has gotten WAY off topic. There are tons of beautiful low cars. Opinions are fine. PONTIFICATING sucks. "Old School" Cal-Look has nothing to do with the topic. The evolution of custom VWs is a wonderful thing. Cal-Look, itself, has evolved.....I appreciate, and am humbled by many of the cars that are "low".......SO......let's get back on topic (for those of you who drive their low cars).
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2007, 01:03:24 am »

This appears to be a rear height issue, drop my 67 a few inches in the rear, it's a completely different look. Is my car 'Cal Look' or 'Resto Cal'? I just built it to please the DKP boys.

Hello Lanny you car is Very nice and well Done but it is more of a RESTO Cal And it is built just like the DKP Cars of today All the Trim and Bumpers left on, as far as trailing a Car like yours or anyother Cal Look  I might do it for the First few Shows But After That It Would Be Street Driven What Good or Fun is a Car You cant Enjoy to Me I would Ratther Drive It Then Worry about a Rain Drop on it you spend all the Money to Redo a Car Then it sits in the garage under a Car Cover I can Think of alot of other things I could do with the Money Spent On A Car thats sits and Collects Dust....

"There is no other way to build a Cal Look" ....Shubee

My car has no...front Koni shocks, Talbot mirror, custom dash, tinted rear quarter glass, hard to find wheels, deck lid stand offs, flush mounted license plate or quit pack muffler.  I built my car to my taste; not from some blueprint, cookie-cutter drawing from the 70's.  So, maybe it's not "Cal Look"...who really cares?  The bottom line is simple...I like my car the way it is.  Here's a question for you...What do these guys all have in common (other then being DKP members); Art Gutierrez, Jim Kaforski, John Rayburn, Bill Schwimmer, Jim Kurlinski, Dave Mason, Stephan Szantai, Henry Oelkers Jim Ratto, and Carlos De Alba?  All of them have chrome trim.  Resto Cal??  I seriously doubt it.

Actually it is one of the great things about this hobby that there are so many different perspectives and different tastes. It keeps the cars from getting boring. As long as your happy with your car and it's style then I wouldn't get too hung up on titles. If everyone's car looked alike then this forum would be hella dull. Besides, what the 'ell do I know about 70's cal-look cars. In 1975 I was three lol.  Grin But I think there is something we can all agree on, whale tails are not cal-look.  Tongue Lets just get back to enjoying some cool cars and people.

Oh and for me, the perfect stance for a car is so the lip of the finder is just outlines the wheel but doesn't cover it.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
JOHN CANALES

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2007, 01:21:31 am »

Actually it is one of the great things about this hobby that there are so many different perspectives and different tastes. It keeps the cars from getting boring. As long as your happy with your car and it's style then I wouldn't get too hung up on titles. If everyone's car looked alike then this forum would be hella dull. Besides, what the 'ell do I know about 70's cal-look cars. In 1975 I was three lol.  Grin But I think there is something we can all agree on, whale tails are not cal-look.  Tongue Lets just get back to enjoying some cool cars and people.

I AGREE....

THE GERMAN FOLKS VW KLUB
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2007, 01:31:46 am »

This is getting old. Build it however you want, call it whatever you need to that makes you happy. The owner of a car is the only person that actually has to pay to look at it. Everybody else gets to see it for free. You are a cool guy in person Shubee & I have known you a long time ,But some of your comments are getting a bit abrasive.

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2007, 03:06:28 am »

This is getting old. Build it however you want, call it whatever you need to that makes you happy. The owner of a car is the only person that actually has to pay to look at it. Everybody else gets to see it for free. You are a cool guy in person Shubee & I have known you a long time ,But some of your comments are getting a bit abrasive.
Sorry you feel that way Bill Not Trying to cause Trouble but this an open Forum and eveybody is intilted to your own Opinion  But I think The Europeans are Doing a Much better Job on  Buliding a Real Cal Look  I am Also  Building A 70's Cal Look Just like it was then And I know That there will be  some that like it and some that dont But I was There Then And I am Hear Now And I will Build it like it was 1975 all over again. Us Old Guys All hung out together back in the day Roger Crawford,Mark Huntshacker,Dan Mc Grath,Steve Sims (from Berg)Mike Smith,Scott Schroter,Frenchy,Roger Graco,any many others. Were Talking DKP 1, DKP 2 ,DRF, DRA, KOB ,DSK, DVB,  Some Guys on here were not even Born Then Doug and Clyde did not even have a Drivers License Then and Gene And Dee Berg Went To All The Car Rallys....  My Point is Ask An Old Cal Look Guy Whats Right and Whats Wrong  Ask Roger Crawford about the Old Days He is always around Nicks....
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 03:09:05 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2007, 03:43:25 am »

I remember more cal look cars in 75 with trim than without it....

I also park at Nick's.
Lanny Hussey

« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2007, 05:54:23 am »

Funny, most critics rarely finish their projects or have a car that is remotely presentable. Wink

1967, the only year that matters.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2007, 06:51:12 am »

Why is it that our forums always end up in an "Us against us" situation when, if there has to be an 'against', it should be "Us (VW) against them (V8/import)"? Remember the old saying "together we stand, divided we fall?"

I'm personally not into super-low cars but think the GFK Bugs are awesome. Cal Look guys could do worse than to study the detailing!

I'm not personally into stock indicators on front fenders, or full bumpers, on what are considered to be Cal Lookers, but that's just me. That doesn't make it wrong.

When I next do a car, it will be done to suit me – although I probably won't even like it myself because I'm my own worst critic!

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2007, 07:51:21 am »

well this is how "LOW" my ride is  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"When I next do a car, it will be done to suit me – although I probably won't even like it myself because I'm my own worst critic!" I couldn't agree more Keith I know that feeling for sure - as far as I am concerned there are still a few things about my Manx that I hate Roll Eyes Smiley
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 07:53:37 am by monkiboy » Logged

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2007, 12:01:10 pm »

Have you ever noticed how easily tempers get high whenever someone writes in capital letters? Even if it wasn't meant to cause a stir, as in this example.

We have had this meaningless discussions many times by now.... And there is no end to this discussion.
The cal look has evolved since before it was "christened" in 75... taste and auto fashion change to, and everything is fine until someone gets nostalgic... for whatever reason, be it age or some book out of England Wink. When the nostalgic game gets rolling there suddenly is a "right and a wrong"  on how to do it... and that takes the fun out of it. BEFORE I got on the lounge my only reference for my nostalgic build was Volksworld and the Bible by Seume.   Keith did a hell of a job in translating history in to a truly fascinating topic, but to do this he had to lay down certain rules as what was hot and what was not, and we all (Europeans) obeyed. And soon all the cars looked like the DKP III cars, and some went even further and built trim less cars. But they "all" looked the same.
If there is anything I feel is in important to me in my car building its the phrase "DARE TO BE DIFFERENT"
Combining this phrase with building a nostalgic Cal-look seemed next to impossible before the lounge, but after having read the opinions of the old boys and after pestering Rick and Shubee I have come to realise that the cars "back then" and, more importantly, the people were just as different back then as we are now!

SO DARE TO BE DIFFERENT.... build the cal looker YOU like!!

BTW, that was sort of the whole point of the SCC poster this year, they may look different, but they are all cal-lookers!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
nicolas

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2007, 18:11:50 pm »

that poster says it all!!!!

make it nice and subtle

less is more dudes

less hight? maybe
less trim? maybe
less wheels? not an option

more fun? ALWAYS!!!    Grin ;
JOHN CANALES

« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2007, 17:22:51 pm »

AND ALWAYS FUN TO DRIVE........