The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 14:38:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Gauges made me paranoid
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gauges made me paranoid  (Read 4399 times)
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« on: April 09, 2007, 09:32:26 am »

I’ve installed some gauges in the car but it making me paranoid
What should my gauges be reading 

Oil temp in Fahrenheit

Oil pressure in psi

Cylinder temp in Fahrenheit

Thanks in advance

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Sander/DVK

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 09:41:56 am »

My gauges from VDO give Celsius (oil) and BAR.
I dont have a cilinder temp.

Do you have a picture of your gauges?
Are the gauges and senders from the same brand?

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Rocket Ron

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 09:47:03 am »

all the gauges are from autometer with matching senders

sorry dont have any pictures

What are your reading as i can convert them to F
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 09:49:11 am by rocket ron » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

stealth67vw

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 15:14:59 pm »

I like my psi to be roughly 10 psi per 1000 rpm, head temp should stay lower than 325F and oil temp should stay run about 180-200F or so. I start to panic when my stock oil light flickers at idle, heads go past 350 and oil past 220 especially when the engine is not under a lot of load. Cylinder head temp (CHT) is the one that varies the most under load and will eventually affect oil temp.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 15:15:05 pm »

When oil temp gets over 200, I start to take notice. When it gets to 230, pull over!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Sarge

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 15:51:49 pm »

Except for a tach,  gauges are just something to worry about...if it's running hot, you'll smell it or hear the exhaust "tinkling" when you shut the engine off.  Keep it simple...if the engine combo is "right," gauges arn't really a necessity.  My two cents.

DKP III
Rocket Ron

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 16:16:14 pm »

I like my psi to be roughly 10 psi per 1000 rpm, head temp should stay lower than 325F and oil temp should stay run about 180-200F or so. I start to panic when my stock oil light flickers at idle, heads go past 350 and oil past 220 especially when the engine is not under a lot of load. Cylinder head temp (CHT) is the one that varies the most under load and will eventually affect oil temp.

i'm not doing to bad oil pressure is about 50-60psi oil temp 180-185 and head temp about 220f  Cool

Except for a tach,  gauges are just something to worry about...if it's running hot, you'll smell it or hear the exhaust "tinkling" when you shut the engine off.  Keep it simple...if the engine combo is "right," gauges arn't really a necessity.  My two cents.

Thinking of getting a big roll of black tape.......

just to sick over the lot so i can't see them Grin

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Sarge

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 16:24:38 pm »

PERFECT!!  Grin

DKP III
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 19:34:02 pm »

i have run my engine for several km with temperatures of 110 and 120 celcius, but that is really bad. my bearings were not happy with that. so now i got an extra cooler on the 1641 and it works out very well. it stays at 80°C and maybe reach 90°C when driving for long stretches on the highway. it cools of  to 85 again as soon as i get of the highway.

but maybe it is different with other oils which can withstand more temperature but i run 20W-40 duckhams and the best performance i get with the engine is around 80°. i don't really know if it is only my experience, but at this temperature the car drives the best, accellerates better and faster... maybe it has to do with the amount of hot air in the enginecompartment??? but that is how it all works for me.
and for these gauges in my car, i have to admit i keep a close watch on them. better safe than sorry. i toasted bearings once because i had no idea what temperature i was supposed to be reading so yes at that point is was more for looks, but now i see it as a helpfull tool.
Rasser

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 21:36:55 pm »

i have run my engine for several km with temperatures of 110 and 120 celcius, but that is really bad. my bearings were not happy with that. so now i got an extra cooler on the 1641 and it works out very well. it stays at 80°C and maybe reach 90°C when driving for long stretches on the highway. it cools of  to 85 again as soon as i get of the highway.

but maybe it is different with other oils which can withstand more temperature but i run 20W-40 duckhams and the best performance i get with the engine is around 80°. i don't really know if it is only my experience, but at this temperature the car drives the best, accellerates better and faster... maybe it has to do with the amount of hot air in the enginecompartment??? but that is how it all works for me.
and for these gauges in my car, i have to admit i keep a close watch on them. better safe than sorry. i toasted bearings once because i had no idea what temperature i was supposed to be reading so yes at that point is was more for looks, but now i see it as a helpfull tool.

itīs cracked heads and seized cylinders/pistons you should be worried about....   I think your bearing problem was caused by something else.

and you mean 20w50 duckhams - right ?  I havenīt heard of w40...

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
nicolas

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 08:52:04 am »

itīs cracked heads and seized cylinders/pistons you should be worried about....   I think your bearing problem was caused by something else.

and you mean 20w50 duckhams - right ?  I havenīt heard of w40...

[/quote]

right i is 20W 50... my bad, and prehaps you are right with the heads and cylinders. i know i was very lucky i didn't do more damage on that engine. and the bearings will suffer also as no oil can get to the bearings anymore at that point.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 21:20:49 pm »

But I like having all those little hands waving "Good Morning" when I start the car.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
69Stu

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 21:49:48 pm »

It may be worth checking the accuracy of the cylinder head temperature gauge. I have found that my VDO gauge reads 30F over temperature at 212F.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: