The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 08:44:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Looker from Sweden -65
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Looker from Sweden -65  (Read 11517 times)
Olzzon

« on: March 09, 2011, 23:55:39 pm »

Hi!
Iīll try to post my project here, Iīm new at the Cal-look scene but i really like the style and I will try to make my beetle to a nice Cal-looker! Smiley Iīm 20 years old and studying so it will not be a "holy shit" project but I plan to keep the car for a while and at last it may be a respectable Cal-looker Cheesy I hope you guys can support me with tipīs and help when I need it because itīs the first car, and engine I build.

I bought the car two yars ago, it had be standing in a barn since -92 so to be legal for the roads I had to fix some rust, the brakes and the electrics, i converted it to 12v at the same time.

The summer the same year, not much rake as you guys like Grin

I got more inspired of the Cal-look scene, so i painted it Beryl green, and gaved it a little cal-look touch. Here it is on a cruising night in Sweden early on the spring.

Later on the summer

This winter project is to build a engine, I think you guys know how the parts looke like so I dont have to post pictures at it Wink But here is a list of the setup, please say if you see something wrong, itīs the first engine I build so I still learning.

94mm cylinders
DPR 69mm Counterweight crankshaft
5,4" Chromoly connecting rods
041 cylinder heads, 10:1, ported by Martin Karlsson
Empi HPMX44 Carburators
FK8 cam with straight cutted gears
1:4 rocker arms
Lightened chromoly flywheel
Stage1 pressure plate
The case is linebored and has full flow oilsystem

The gearbox is a 1303 (3.88) who has been converted to swing axles and a superdiff, the job has been done by Hans Landelius.

The crankshaft, flywheel and pressure plate is right now at balancing but as soon it is done I can start to put the engine together! Smiley

Closing this first post with a pic of my fatherīs project(s), a -61 Karmann Ghia, and some japanese junk Grin

Have a nice day! Smiley
cal-look 56

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 00:08:32 am »

thats a good looking car
fredy66

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 01:18:08 am »

nice looker.

arabia slugs
Micke H

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 14:04:39 pm »

great job looking good
Olzzon

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 17:01:27 pm »

Thankīs all you guys!

I just got a call from the machine shop who did the balance job on the crankshaft, flywheel and on the preassure plate, badly my new chromoly flywheel from cip1.com were so inbalanced so they had to turning it on. What can I say, the quality was better once Wink
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 17:26:12 pm »

Nice car indeed  Cool

wolfswest

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 16:57:55 pm »

wow, nice evolution!  and soon a nice 1914cc engine!  keep up the good work!

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Bugsy

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 19:49:07 pm »

A nice pic from last year. Nice car, pal  Wink.
Olzzon

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 00:18:12 am »

Thankīs everybody and your daughter know how to handle the camera Patrik! I like this one with both our cars! Smiley

Tomorrow Iīm going to Finland over the weekend but perhaps I can start to put the engine together next week if my parts arrives Cheesy
Olzzon

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 17:31:46 pm »

Hey guys! I have done some work on it this week

Replaced the studs and removed the gear for the distributor, it was stuck like hell!

I was at a friend who had a set of slicks I eventually will buy  Cheesy

Today I made a couple of stiffenerstruts to the gearboxmount, I will bolt it under the trunk

Not bolted yet, have to drill the holes first Smiley

On thursday I will go to UK and visit Volksworld over the weekend for the first time, will be awesome and maybe Iīm coming home with som nice parts, I hope! Cheesy
red baron

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 17:41:08 pm »

Hey,
why didnt you use torque bars? do you think your gearbox will be stiffer when it is connected with the thin sheet metal above? they look good but I doubt that it will stiffen your car.

cheers

max

Olzzon

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 18:06:17 pm »

Hey,
why didnt you use torque bars? do you think your gearbox will be stiffer when it is connected with the thin sheet metal above? they look good but I doubt that it will stiffen your car.

cheers

max

The dragracers in my town connect theirīs struts to the same place and it works well for them so I doubt it wouldnīt for me Smiley
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 15:42:36 pm »

Having cut through one fairly recently I can say that the metalwork in those panels is really thin Olzzon, for the additional work involved I would tie it into a cross brace maybe mounted between the arches where the metal is a bit thicker, or onto a proper cage.

Very cool car though, always loved Beryl Green. Smiley

Olzzon

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 21:54:15 pm »

Having cut through one fairly recently I can say that the metalwork in those panels is really thin Olzzon, for the additional work involved I would tie it into a cross brace maybe mounted between the arches where the metal is a bit thicker, or onto a proper cage.

Very cool car though, always loved Beryl Green. Smiley

I plan to mount a cage in the car so then I will listen to your advice and mount the cage connected to the bars! Smiley

I also love Beryl Green, the original colour was panama beige but I think the car has been crashed in the 60īs and then fixed and repainted in the older Beryl Green, the interior was still beige when I found the bug but i liked the Beryl more and itīs not an original car so what the hell, let the thermos-guys diss me Grin
Olzzon

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 00:17:29 am »

Long time no see! Now the car is running! Grin

Linelock installed

Bought some nice retro seatbelts, will buy bucket seats later when I found some who looks nice

After I runned in the engine. You should seen my smile after Cheesy
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/s7CWuemcM_s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/s7CWuemcM_s</a>

And this is the first test run
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/C0Cr0OHW9C8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/C0Cr0OHW9C8</a>

I have drove it some miles and the difference between this engine and a little tuned 1600 is huge! Sadly i broke the threads to the locknut on the rocker shaft so I curved the push rods. Will fix it this week.

Olzzon

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 14:37:06 pm »

Hi guys long time no see! Now the season are done and I can continue the work on the car Smiley

But some updates have been done under the summer,

New muffler

Bucket seats

I ended the season at Tierp Arena, first time ever I tried to race it on the strip but it was really fun and it went really ok 14,8, sadly I only raced it one time, the second time I broked the driveshaft.. My time was 14,8 on 402m, Iīm pleased with that considering it was my first time and I did a very soft start Cheesy

Have sold off my Fuchs wheels also, will use this ercoīs with MH slicks next year! Cool

Next year I will do some changes on the engine, I will keep the size of it (1914cc) but I will use superflo heads (11:5 compression), Weber IDA48 and a FK-89 cam instead of the Fk-8. Do you guys have thoughts about the chose of parts to a 1914?
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 15:43:20 pm »

I'm also thinking of beefing up my 1915 with Steve Tims stage2, 11-1 CR, IDA's, web 86c etc :-)

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
Bugsy

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 21:14:58 pm »

Hey Olzzon

Looking forward to next year, and especally BRC.
Sorry i missed your premier race. Would have loved to see it but came a little late. But next year i will be on time  Wink

Regards Patrik
Olzzon

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 16:43:07 pm »

Hey Olzzon

Looking forward to next year, and especally BRC.
Sorry i missed your premier race. Would have loved to see it but came a little late. But next year i will be on time  Wink

Regards Patrik

Hehe and next year I hope the car will run more then just one race! Cheesy

I have bought a new seat this weekend! Smiley
Olzzon

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 20:24:44 pm »

Got my italian IDA48īs today and a FK89 cam Smiley

Olzzon

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 09:28:07 am »

Bad activity here but the car is running again Cheesy

This years gearbox spec, with stronger driveshafts this time

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3729/38656210150384444475964.jpg

Gene Berg shifter

Chromolly rollcage

1914cc, will not run the MSD system this year, instead it is the old Bosch 009 with Lumenition.

Caféracer! Cool

First race @ Tierp arena next weekend, have tried a streetrace and it went very well Cheesy

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CPv6mMh5xjU

[video] <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AgOA1v0gAAU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/AgOA1v0gAAU</a>

Brew 66

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 03:51:25 am »

Car looks like a lot of fun, careful in the rain!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: