The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 13:01:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  RETIRED from Hot VW Drag Days and Bug Ins.......
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: RETIRED from Hot VW Drag Days and Bug Ins.......  (Read 38425 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2011, 17:30:09 pm »

I'll never forget the shame and humiliation I felt after leaving line in 3rd gear my very first time drag racing and Dyno let me have it..... oh man.  Grin

No Dyno as MC? What, are you nuts? What's the matta wit you?
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2011, 17:31:52 pm »

Rather than boycott the event, how about having some shirts made that say "bring back dyno" could have them made for $6-7 each. If 2-300 people were wearing them, they can't ignore that

I was thinking the same thing.  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2011, 17:43:04 pm »

Rather than boycott the event, how about having some shirts made that say "bring back dyno" could have them made for $6-7 each. If 2-300 people were wearing them, they can't ignore that

One ordered from overseas.

Done ? Not Yet.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2011, 18:13:42 pm »

I'll buy a shirt...

I second Worm's statement, you better be at the events, with or without a mic in your hand!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2011, 18:21:13 pm »

Wink
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 18:44:11 pm by Fastbrit » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
johnl

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2011, 18:38:03 pm »

I've been reading all of this with interest.  I certainly have no more information than probably most if not all of you, but first there are two sides to every story.  I knew nothing of this until I arrived at the event on Sunday morning and was only able to talk with a few and got limited details.  Everyone seems to be going on speculation based off of Don's original post.

As a business owner in these tough financial times I can tell you that sometimes unpleasant actions must be made even though many think they are not fair (and in many cases they may not be), but I'm sure Rich Kimball did what he felt was best for his business venture and I would hope the "larger" outlook of the hobby.  Being on the outside looking in none of us know all of the facts.

Here is a question for all.  Even if Don were invited back, does he want to after this?  I view it as being unfaithful in a relationship.  Sure the other party can say all is forgiven after overtures are made to reconcile, but is that truly what they feel.  Everyone is different

I'd say, give this entire thing some time to cool at bit and maybe it will work out for all concerned, but don't go into "attack mode" as it just adds more fuel on the fire.  Personally I've know Kimball, Fleming and Chamberlin for years, some over 40 and I know they are all good people, but when you are in the spot light there will always be issues, it is simply human nature.

If you don't agree with my views that is fine as we  live in a free society.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Speed-Randy

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2011, 20:34:35 pm »

John, I agree with what you say about making tough choices in these times, but unless dyno was asking an exhorbanant amount of money over his standard fee, which I doubt he was. They still have to pay for a MC, how much could they be saving, $50-75? Even then, what about negotiating, instead of just kicking to the curb
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 20:46:50 pm by vdubdweeb » Logged

edcraig

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2011, 20:53:23 pm »

I have to say I agree with my buddy John on this one.  I think his comments were pretty much right on.  I'm sure Don will appreciate everyone's comments and support, and I wish him all the best too.  However, one person does not make these events and the Bug in will not come to an end becuse he's not announcing. 

Personally, I hope that Ron Flemming takes over the announcing.  He's done it before, and I think anyone would be hard pressed to find someone more knowledgeable when it comes to VW's. 

You guys that want to boycott or make T shirts are free to do so.  Either way, I plan on being at the next Bug in.

Ed Craig

Legendary DRA
and
Original Cambusters
johnl

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2011, 20:58:11 pm »

John, I agree with what you say about making tough choices in these times, but unless dyno was asking an exhorbanant amount of money over his standard fee, which I doubt he was. They still have to pay for a MC, how much could they be saving, $50-75? Even then, what about negotiating, instead of just kicking to the curb

One of the "stories" I heard on Sunday was that the track rental has come with an "announcer" as part of the package, so anyone else would have been "double spending".  I've heard $$ figures that Don was paid, but once again only passing comments.  I would suspect that RK & DC are really the only ones that know the actual $$.

I'm not saying the way it was handled might have been "dirty pool", but do we really know all of the facts??  I'm sure there is more to both sides than the average Joe knows.  In America you are innocent until proven guilty.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2011, 21:00:17 pm »

In America you are innocent until proven guilty.
Not in Texas, they shoot first and then check LOL

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2011, 21:18:08 pm »

Well before I read Johns post then Ed's after, I was pretty much like kill the promoters, not really, just pissed about the whole thing, but your right! there are 2 sides to the story and we don't know the insides of all this. I agree with Randy, Why all of a sudden? Why was there any negotiating? The only person that knows is Dyno, maybe, and the promoters! Yes I agree we should just wait and see, maybe things will work out on it's own. Yes, I would like to see Dyno back in the MC seat, maybe he will, only time will tell or at least more of an explanation from Dyno or the promoters, not details, cause it's really none of our business, but at least an overall explanation on why Dyno was let go. To me anything can be worked out, and maybe this will. As far as Rich and Ron is concern, I know they are good people. Lets give it a chance before we bring out the noose.

Ted
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 21:20:11 pm by racecraf » Logged

VW Classic 2012
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2011, 21:43:49 pm »

FYI  I read last night on Ultimate Aircooled that Team Red Barron has talked to Dyno and he will be anouncing at the last race of the PRA season in Az.  There is to be some sort of arrangement for donations to the cause. 

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2011, 08:40:01 am »

Having been on both sides of this scenario, for the 21 years I started and promoted the Phoenix Bug-O-Rama (Jan 1984 to 2005), I also recommend you take a deep breath on this one. I announced many Sacramento events for John Stafford the years he was running the Sacramento Bug-O-Rama before he sold it to Bob Hole.  I also did some announcing at my own event until I simply could not be everywhere and had to hire an announcer.  I tried the Firebird track announcers a few times, and eventually ask Dyno to take the chair for the last events I did in the latter part of my promoting tenure.

I know all parties concerned too and like all of them. Ron is also a good announcer. I heard him do some announcing at early Bug-Ins when Dyno was in his early days.  Not everyone has the full picture so don't talk of banning an event because you don't like what you "THINK" is going on.  As someone who has started and run his own business,  there are always financial considerations.  One just has to weigh the potential threats and liabilities associated with their decisions before making them and then be willing to live with the outcome of their decisions. Running a business is not easy and there are always unintended outcomes of some of your tougher calls but you are still faced with making decisions and living with them.

I agree with John and Ed's comments.  I would love to see Dyno behind the mic, have enjoyed having him Emcee some of my events and also respect whatever decisions Rich Kimball made as well.  I have also had a facility tell me that I was being charged for an announcer as part of the rental, regardless of whether I brought my own in or not.  So, as John put very well, there are always two sides to every scenario. Just let this one play itself out.  I know and like all the parties involved.  I personally will pass no judgement or vote one way or the other.  I still plan to attend and support the hobby I have been involved in for 42 years.  Dyno is still appreciated and will find a place in the announcing chair for many events.  Life will go on just as my Phoenix Bug-O-Rama has since I stepped aside and passed the torch to another family to promote it.

Rick Mortensen
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:45:19 am by rick m » Logged

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2011, 17:08:04 pm »

Blah blah blah.... politically correct blah blah blah........

I am upset, for I dont care WHAT the reasons are, that a familiar voice will not be heard at these events. 

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Speed-Randy

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2011, 23:27:59 pm »

I am upset, for I dont care WHAT the reasons are, that a familiar voice will not be heard at these events. 

EXACTLY!!!!

plasticblack

« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2011, 00:13:58 am »

This could be very easily made clear to all, by a simple statement made by the people that made the decision?

Nobody need to know $$ figures, just the simple reasoning behind the decision?

If as some have said there are 2 sides to every story, them it might be the simplest thing to state matters as clearly as possible for all.

I don't believe this decision can have been made without due thought and deliberation as the organizers cannot have thought for a second that it would be happily received by many.

To let this rumble on, without responce will only continue to create unnecessary divisions amongst VW Folk and that isn't good for any of us.

nlvtinman

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2011, 01:08:31 am »

With those who have commented that there are two sides to each story, we know that Don's entertaining voice won't be there to add to future events. And that's too bad too.
But where is the input of Rich Kimball?  Does he "lurk" here, but never add any replies to posts?
He could certainly add a little clarity to this topic.
 How sad it it that we with this VW passion continue to support and pay to attend events, but they seem to continue to deliver less and less for our money.
At what point will those who's hard earned money stop flowing into the bank of the promoters?
Only then will they get our "message"- give us what We, their customers, expect.
Steve
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2011, 01:10:50 am »

Quoted for truth and for how most (if not, all) of the DEEKS feel regarding this matter.

Carry on.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:12:43 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2011, 02:51:24 am »

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:33:32 am by vdubkid » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2011, 04:30:37 am »

Quoted for truth and for how most (if not, all) of the DEEKS feel regarding this matter.

Carry on.

I AGREE !!
Fiatdude

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2011, 05:24:27 am »

Mr. Eric (Red Baron) Callebresse came up with a figure of $800 for Dyno to come, stay, eat and announce for the last PRA race in AZ (THIS IS NOT A KIMBALL/HOLE EVENT). He is taking donations on his paypal account to make this happen, if you would like to donate to the cause his paypal address is   veedblchoo13@sbcglobal.net   please make sure to put Dyno Don in the subject line.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:30:14 am by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
ottobros

« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2011, 17:25:16 pm »

I wish you the BEST! Dyno Don
Steve DKK
DKK

« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2011, 18:06:50 pm »

Folks, don't let this die,
The voice of Dyno has been and always will be that framiliar fixture at all VW events, you promoters can come and go if you wish, but your customers depend on and rely on Dyno Don.   Angry

Go fast, don't turn
kingsburgphil

« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2011, 00:13:24 am »

NO DYNO ...NO DOLLARS!!!  I'll be at SAC for the BOR instead of bug in.  Sorry vendors, but I vote with my check book
and I'm not the one who threw away the talent.  I was really looking forward to Nick's...oh well  Angry

« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2011, 21:38:55 pm »

Dyno is part of our VW family !
Yet some of us turned their back on him.
This wrong must be righted immediately !
This is not how we treat family here !
 Angry
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2011, 21:54:57 pm »

Dyno is part of our VW family !
Yet some of us turned their back on him.
This wrong must be righted immediately !
This is not how we treat family here !
 Angry

X2

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
kustomlarry

« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2011, 00:32:05 am »

This sucks.....I can't believe it. You know people will pay for it....
Donny B.

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2011, 04:14:04 am »

Not trying to throw a monkey wrench into this, but I believe the folks on the lounge would pay for it,but the general public wouldn't .  Just my thought.  Many folks just want what is cheapest.  A lot of folks don't visit these forums and really don't care as long as it doesn't cost them.  Sorry, but that's the way it is.  Money talks and BS walks...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2011, 04:40:10 am »

Not trying to throw a monkey wrench into this, but I believe the folks on the lounge would pay for it,but the general public wouldn't .  Just my thought.  Many folks just want what is cheapest.  A lot of folks don't visit these forums and really don't care as long as it doesn't cost them.  Sorry, but that's the way it is.  Money talks and BS walks...
You may be right, but for the most part, I think most people would rather see Dyno back in the saddle again. He is very much a part of the VW scene.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2011, 07:59:41 am »

I'll be honest...I didn't stay as long as I normally do at the last Drag Day...I felt the vibe was not there without Dyno Don...!!!..Plain and simple...!!!...Whats next to cover cost of the event's...?..Allowing Touring cars to slip in...?...Remember when this happened to I "think" The Jamboree ...?... at OC Fairgrounds...!!!.....It was supposed to be a "All " VW event got there and there were Honda"s ,To#¤ta"s and what the hell else !!!...they slipped them in without telling us..!...about 15 other people and myself demanded our money back....and got it...!!! We were sooo Irate....!!.....Why can't we get a straight answer Why...??...What it's none of our business...Huh...I think it is !
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:03:18 am by Kaferdog » Logged

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: