The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 11:53:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351056 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Diederick's '67
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Diederick's '67  (Read 142299 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #240 on: September 29, 2008, 17:20:00 pm »

jeepee found these photos of my 67 when we crashed a tupperware party...

looks good Dieds. The color photo especially. Gotta love a java green '67....
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #241 on: December 17, 2008, 13:58:22 pm »

i've got lots of things in da werks for this winter, but i won't list them all Wink
but i do have some issues that i hope that can be addressed in this topic.

my steering doesn't feel too safe and i'm thinking of replacing the steering box but i don't know how far i should go with replacing parts like a pitman arm (??) and various bushings.

what i feel is lots of play in the wheel, i can imitate an old car movie when standing still  Grin
the adjusting screw on the box is stuck, no way i can get it loose. and when going over uneven areas on the motorway at say 60-70mph i often get a "click" sound that i can feel when i hold on to my steering wheel.

i took the fuel tank out a few days ago, so now i can have a clear view at all the parts. i hope you have any ideas?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Neil Davies

« Reply #242 on: December 17, 2008, 15:29:00 pm »

Sounds like there is a collapsed bearing in the steering box if you're getting a click. Unfortunately the bearings are VW-supply only - my Dad and some friends all looked around lots of bearing suppliers with no luck.

On the car I just finished ('72 pan), my Dad rebuilt two steering boxes into one good one. You may be able to do the same? Either that or just buy a new one from VW Heritage or somewhere similar and put the 1967 pitman arm on?  I know there are different sizes of track rod ends and I'm sure early cars have the smaller ones. I remember Ivan from Volksworld saying something about '67's having one year only pitman arms and track rod ends many years ago! Maybe something to do with the output shaft being larger (like later cars) with smaller track rod ends? Huh

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #243 on: December 17, 2008, 15:40:59 pm »

thanks neil! so would replacing the steering box alone be enough?
and what is a pitman arm? the steering shaft?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #244 on: December 17, 2008, 16:13:36 pm »

You don't need to steer on a dragstrip Died, but you will need 1915cc power!!!  Cool  Grin

Maybe update us with some gauges?

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Neil Davies

« Reply #245 on: December 17, 2008, 16:28:54 pm »

thanks neil! so would replacing the steering box alone be enough?
and what is a pitman arm? the steering shaft?

No worries Died, it's the arm that comes off the bottom of the box that the track rod ends attach to. Wink Unless it's worn on the splines, it should be fine to just change the box. They're a bit of a pain to get off too!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 16:32:38 pm by Neil Davies » Logged

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
nicolas

« Reply #246 on: December 17, 2008, 17:41:44 pm »

like Neil says, it's the arm that is coming lose probally. it drives a bit cartoon and then all off a sudden it does 'clunk' and the wheel sits a bit in a different direction. so tighten the bolt that holds the arm snug and see what happens. but it is not a good thing you can't adjust the screw on top off the box... so maybe safer with a new one.

i had the steeringbox replaced and the arm wasn't tightened completely and it had the same thing as you discribe. now everything is tightened and checked and it is a lot better and it drives a bit more like a go-cart then a boot.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #247 on: December 17, 2008, 23:52:37 pm »

Just a thought but it could be worn ball joints on the swingarms on the beam - I had the same thing a few years back, it would also effect your steering but i would change the steering box anyway, You won't believe the difference a new one makes  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #248 on: April 07, 2009, 17:30:38 pm »

i got some well needed help from my clubmate Jesse last Sunday! and we got around doing some stuff.

here is the 8mm 3/8" fuel line that took us 2-3 hours of fiddling and force to get in.
front:

back, we make the hole a bit larger and i've got about 2" left:

does anyone have any advise on how to connect fuel hoses to the alu tube? with or without fittings?
in the front i will (have to) run the tube through the lid or cap at the end of the tunnel at the frame head, that leaves me with an 1". YES, the tube was a tight fit  Grin

after that we got the pitman arm of my steering box to use on the new box and gave a few coats of primer and paint and fixed a tool.

lastly, we got one of the new wheels out, masked it off and gave it 3 layers of satin black  Wink 
Jesse did the job:

what do you say? it was a cool day  Smiley

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #249 on: April 07, 2009, 20:44:09 pm »

What you could do for the fuel line is find a bar of solid iron the just fits in the pipe. Put a piece in the back-end and shove it back in the tunnel, you'll see how it will be easy to guide it back later on. Now you have a bit more play at the front, shove another end of solid bar in the pipe and use it to bend the pipe nicely so you can present it through a hole you drill in the stock location.

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #250 on: April 07, 2009, 21:02:17 pm »

Connect a hose with 2 fittings on the alu pipe 2 inches. So it's also in the tunnel. If you get what I mean or else SMS me Cheesy.

Was a great day!

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #251 on: April 07, 2009, 23:06:00 pm »

that would be ideal tim! but the pipe is not that easy to bend and the other problem is fishing it through the stock entry location. i can't get in the tunnel with my hand with the body and beam on...

the easiest thing to do is drill a 10mm hole in that cap/lid so the fuel tube reaches through and the run the fuel hose from the pump in between the tubes on the front beam to the tube and clamp it on. this way it can all come apart again.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #252 on: April 10, 2009, 21:06:11 pm »

got some more work done today.

i now have my front wheels ready for tyres:

and my brother fixed another dash grill.

i am still looking for a vdo gauge like the small fuel gauge, let me know if you have one. mind you, it needs to have yellowish "numbers"  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
TheNick80

« Reply #253 on: April 24, 2009, 18:47:54 pm »

Shiny Java Green.   Cool Cool Cool

You mean it supposed to look like that?

"There is a Fine line between stupid and Clever"
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #254 on: April 25, 2009, 21:42:06 pm »

guess so  Wink

got some nice michelin rubber wrapped around my fuchs today  Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2009, 21:44:08 pm »

guess so  Wink

got some nice michelin rubber wrapped around my fuchs today  Grin

nice died  Cool

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #256 on: April 26, 2009, 13:04:31 pm »

thanks fabs, i haven't got any discs yet. so, i can't mount them yet.
gotta get in touch with gunter for that i guess  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Jeroen

« Reply #257 on: April 26, 2009, 13:29:26 pm »

make an offer i can't resist Smiley
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #258 on: April 27, 2009, 00:40:36 am »

dude, i can't get how you can supply me with 5x130 discs Huh
but i'm open to suggestions. but i might as well buy them new, i don't intend to make you profit from my purchases  Wink Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #259 on: May 09, 2009, 19:01:13 pm »

i did buy some nice 5x130 discs with screw-in studs. i'm hoping to get rid of the studs though...
they also came with bearings, but '67 being a difficult year with stock disc brakes i received the wrong bearings, they were bought at BBT so that means another trip to belgium to exchange them for the right ones - are you reading this Peter? Wink

and i finally found the essential piece to my steering box (gold part with rubber) but now the following problem has occured:

i installed the steering box correctly, though there is basically just one way the mounting bracket is in the correct position (no.13 pointing forward). i can get the tie rods in the pitman arm, BUT the steering shaft doesn't line up with the steering box. i am running one set of caster shims, but that couldn't be the problem... what is this? it's driving me nuts!!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
FDK/mrpedrini

« Reply #260 on: May 09, 2009, 20:24:31 pm »

Hey Died.... that's not a big problem. It's the result of the poor quality adjustable beams that are on the market right now..  Undecided.. the two welded centerpoints to center your steeringbox are usually welded in the wrong position... (and getting more dramaticly when you drive with caster shims). The best you can do is modify your steeringbox bracket (make those holes a bit larger on each side of the bracket). when you've done this you can align your steering colum.. Wink..

Like we say: "effe de flex erin!!" good luck...Dennis..
Lee.C

« Reply #261 on: May 09, 2009, 20:28:59 pm »

OR just knock those silliy little tabs off  with a BIG hammer and an old screw driver - I always get rid of them with "new" beams  Grin

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #262 on: May 09, 2009, 22:05:49 pm »

thanks dennis!! i'll have a go at that.

OR just knock those silliy little tabs off  with a BIG hammer and an old screw driver - I always get rid of them with "new" beams  Grin

lee, i do have a little less room to swing the hammer than you might with the buggy  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #263 on: May 12, 2009, 17:43:14 pm »

almost ready to go, now where is the engine...
 Wink
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 17:47:34 pm by 67-indeed/DVK » Logged

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Lee.C

« Reply #264 on: May 12, 2009, 17:51:23 pm »

almost ready to go, now where is the engine...
 Wink

Cool what linkage is that  Huh Smiley

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #265 on: May 12, 2009, 18:02:02 pm »

tayco. i just left the crossbar home. didn't feel like taking that with me on the bus  Wink
look at dave rhoads's engine to get an idea of the looks. just the connection to the carbs has changed over time.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 18:05:40 pm by 67-indeed/DVK » Logged

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #266 on: May 12, 2009, 22:58:40 pm »

forgot to post the dashboard grilles my brother fabbed for me  Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
nicolas

« Reply #267 on: May 13, 2009, 07:36:52 am »

nice work you have done there. will it be ready for EBI? can't wait to see it soon.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #268 on: May 13, 2009, 15:29:52 pm »

it'd better be ready by then, nicolas  Wink
i'm gonna get cracking on it again tomorrow, get to work on the front beam with a BIG hammer like a true monkey man Grin
get the screw-in studs out of the discs, do a little work on the dash with a dremel tool to get the tachometer in there. see if i can get my oldschool radio to fit. it's slightly too high to go in from the dash, but instead i'm thinking of taking the faceplate etcetera off and slide it in from the trunk area and connect the faceplate and knobs.
this weekend i should be able to install the front wheels when i exchange my front bearings for the right ones at BBT, then slide on the discs and bolt on the wheels as soon as my bolts arrive. install the new super duper short shocks and lower the beam slightly. get to work on the rear wheel, strip paint, sand, mask, paint... you know the drill. install the rear disc brakes at some point. do some plumbing on my fuel system as soon as i order the right fittings. and get stuff powdercoated and get things like the grilles matchpainted.

and then there's the engine, i tried to trial fit some parts last weekend but i got stuck when i realised the company that balanced it all installed a 38mm bolt (instead of 36mm!!) at, say, 230Nm. no way i could get it loose by hand. if only it were 36mm, then i could've used my torque dude Wink
BTW, does anyone have a nice 36mm bolt i can buy? preferably within the EU regarding shipping costs and time... Huh

and once the heads arrive it's gonna be a race against to clock to assemble and break it in. any help is appreciated Wink
my last exam is 16th of June and my internship starts on the 1st of July, so if i get most this abovementioned stuff done during the weekends then it's a 10 day race to EBI to get it all to work and DRIVE Grin

this must give you an idea of the mayhem i'm in, right?  Roll Eyes Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
wolfswest

« Reply #269 on: May 13, 2009, 15:50:02 pm »

it'd better be ready by then, nicolas  Wink
i'm gonna get cracking on it again tomorrow, get to work on the front beam with a BIG hammer like a true monkey man Grin
get the screw-in studs out of the discs, do a little work on the dash with a dremel tool to get the tachometer in there. see if i can get my oldschool radio to fit. it's slightly too high to go in from the dash, but instead i'm thinking of taking the faceplate etcetera off and slide it in from the trunk area and connect the faceplate and knobs.
this weekend i should be able to install the front wheels when i exchange my front bearings for the right ones at BBT, then slide on the discs and bolt on the wheels as soon as my bolts arrive. install the new super duper short shocks and lower the beam slightly. get to work on the rear wheel, strip paint, sand, mask, paint... you know the drill. install the rear disc brakes at some point. do some plumbing on my fuel system as soon as i order the right fittings. and get stuff powdercoated and get things like the grilles matchpainted.

and then there's the engine, i tried to trial fit some parts last weekend but i got stuck when i realised the company that balanced it all installed a 38mm bolt (instead of 36mm!!) at, say, 230Nm. no way i could get it loose by hand. if only it were 36mm, then i could've used my torque dude Wink
BTW, does anyone have a nice 36mm bolt i can buy? preferably within the EU regarding shipping costs and time... Huh

and once the heads arrive it's gonna be a race against to clock to assemble and break it in. any help is appreciated Wink
my last exam is 16th of June and my internship starts on the 1st of July, so if i get most this abovementioned stuff done during the weekends then it's a 10 day race to EBI to get it all to work and DRIVE Grin

this must give you an idea of the mayhem i'm in, right?  Roll Eyes Wink

aahh, vet relaxed dus.   Grin  How can we put this in english?  Cheesy

Keep up the good work.  the fuchs gonna look ultra sweet.  What parts are you gonna matchpaint?  I was thinking about doing the horngrilles also on my car, but inspiration for more is welcome.  Grin

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: