The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 08:48:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Project 2275 is Done !
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Project 2275 is Done !  (Read 7142 times)
Kaferdog
DKK

« on: May 30, 2011, 10:34:55 am »

Well after 6 years of finding the deals ,chasing down parts, late nights on the internet and empty bank account....It's Done !

The motor took it's "First Steps "...We did a test run and it went well with the exception of some IDA issue's which I expected to happen...!  With the help of my good friend "Racecraf" Ted Dominguez and his more that awsome knowledge of the art of engine building my motor is no longer a dream but a reality...! I expect to have it in for the classic "God willing" ....after long talks and a several strings of good luck...it was decided to go with a "Big"motor cuz I always say.."If yer gonna be a Bear" "Be a Grizzly".....So it was decided the engine would consist of ....
1.A New Case
2.DPR 82mm crank
3.Mahle 94mm pistons and barrels with Z gap rings
4.42x37 CB /Jeff Denham heads
5.Engle K-8 on Ground on a Scat blank
6.Magnum Cam gear
7.Scat Lift-a-Lobe lifters
8.Gene Berg 26mm oil pump
9.Manton push rods
10.CB 1:4 rockers

The motor went Thur a few changes along the way but cosmetically but I am very pleased with the end results...!!!

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 10:37:43 am »

More pics [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:40:49 am »

More Pics

Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 10:46:00 am »

Workin the engine tin to fit right...Thank "God" for German sheet metal

Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 10:49:52 am »

More...........

Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:54:44 am »

Wasn't feelin the 40HP shroud....SO went with the "Thing"Shroud

Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 11:05:03 am »

Still more.................

Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 11:10:00 am »

More.....

Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 11:20:31 am »

And the end results........! and shots of the test run.....

Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 11:32:18 am »

Here's a short Video of it running........it still needs some fine tuning but very close to where it needs to be ....Now its time to get it in the car and have some fun.....!!!!

Once again I wanna thank "Racecraf"Ted for all his help and guidance to which there was no end ....!!...Thanks Buddy

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E_AJRFtKwno" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/E_AJRFtKwno</a>
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 11:36:41 am by Kaferdog » Logged

TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 13:35:45 pm »

That's AWESOME!
Congrats on getting it together ... what a great holiday weekend project.
I know you'll enjoy it ...
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 13:51:15 pm »

Nice!

Stephen schmidt

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 15:35:41 pm »

Great thread and congrats for 6 years of patience!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 15:43:45 pm »

Nice job! Cool
65bug

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 15:46:06 pm »

kaferdog,
         Very very nice! What a weekend to get her in and take the car for a few test runs Wink Shocked Cool Sounds really nice! Keep us posted man!!
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 16:10:07 pm »

Thanks guys.....

I didn't plan on firing it up this weekend but I guess it is a good one but it beats a BBQ I guess...LOL I know it Will be a fun motor ..it already has proven that !

it helps when you have good Friends and a "Great builder"...!......Hope everyone has a great holiday... Wink
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 17:26:52 pm by Kaferdog » Logged

Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 17:37:52 pm »

I would also like to say "Thanks" to all the fellow "Loungers"....for all the great threads of info that helped in every way.....!..Wow...I feel like I just won a Oscar...!

The build kinda slowed down for the past 2 years due to "Lack-O-Funds" from the poor economy ......So close ...but yet so far was the feeling..!

"So Classic.....Here I Come"......!!!

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 19:05:52 pm »

This was a fun build, Randy and I were definitely on a mission to have the right combo. I have to thank Jeff Deham for his input and advice, AND the heads, they are a work of art. Also like to thank Jack Sachetti,  for parts and also good advice. And the guy's at VDub Parts for parts. This motor went together very well, good combo. Was going to dyno it but like Randy says, do to the economy and money being tight, it was hard. The carbs was an issue but some parts I had, we were able to get the thing started. Down the road will send them over to Art a AC to go through them and test. But for now it is still very streetable. Can't wait to see it in the car and RUN! The motor is very responsive and some very good torque. Wish we had numbers, maybe someday we will. But I'm guessing 175-185HP @ flywheel. Will see when she's in the car. Congrates to Randy for his motor and money well spent, now it's time for some FUN!  Wink  Grin

Ted
racecraf

VW Classic 2012
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 09:47:52 am »

Well..spent the whole weekend puttin the motor in...!! Man the little things "Aren't" that little..!!....Jeez...Sooo much to do..the braided line was the hardest..!! got bit a few times ..!!..... nothings worse than gettin stung by braided stainless..!!...ouch..!!..after gettin all the pluming done went to fire it up and had gas pouring outta the top of one IDA...Float musta got stuck...so I tried to start it with the pump off and ...........Clunk.......starter wouldnt turn over ...! walked away from it for a few hrs came back on a second wind ...thought about it played with the ground strap.....gave the key a turn and ....It cranked...!!....still have to work on the fuel pouring out the IDA but  it started briefly..!!!...Sooo.....will be workin on it today tryin ta get it ready for The Classic..!!.....and crossin my fingers...!! [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 13:30:10 pm »

Right on, Randy... it turned out very nice. Looking forward to seeing it run in person. Let me know if those Dells need another home.

Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 17:41:53 pm »

Thanks Fred......I anxious to drive it ..!!!....As for the Dells.....They just might be lookin for a home...?...I will let you know !...they were awsome carbs !

Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 04:12:29 am »

Well...I took it for it's first ride today..!!  I had a few more small problems , like a gas tank that decided to spring a leak ...!..but my good friend Ted came through with a tank he had in his old car...Came home put er in and ........"Took the ride of my life"..!!!!!...this thing runs like a "Bat outta Hell"....almost 2 Hrs later and my hands are still shakin..!!......Man-O-Man...I could not be anymore happier with the outcome.....!!!....Many Thanks Ted "Mr Racecraf" Dominguez....!

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 04:16:44 am »

Sounds like your engine turned out nice. Stoked for ya!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:23:04 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 06:12:04 am »

Say Randy, loan me your car this THURSDAY night! Need to make a visit to IRWINDALE.  Roll Eyes.... Grin See what you been missing! Very glad your happy with the motor, I'm pretty excited also that it all worked out and how well it performs. We got pretty lucky on jetting so far. The real test is the nice long drive to the Classic's. Should perform well. Will tweek it here and there as time goes on to get all the power out.  Wink Keep it under 100 MPH for the first 500 Miles. You know...break-in?  Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
LuftsickTero

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 08:22:15 am »

"Took the ride of my life"..!!!!!...this thing runs like a "Bat outta Hell"....almost 2 Hrs later and my hands are still shakin..!!......Man-O-Man...I could not be anymore happier with the outcome.....!!!

Good stuff Randy  Cool

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 09:05:54 am »

Thanks Tero..!

Felix/DFL

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 11:32:54 am »

Nice build!
I have a quick question what are:
3.Mahle 94mm pistons and barrels with Z gap rings

Happiness is a hot VW  Grin
65bug

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 14:56:47 pm »

Kaferdog,
         Great job there man! The motor looks really clean. You took your time, and the engine tin turned out really nice! Who did your heads?

Thanks
65bug

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 14:58:30 pm »

I should have known! Jeff does such nice work on heads. The best I have ever seen...........................
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: