The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 01:37:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Empi 8mm head studs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Empi 8mm head studs?  (Read 3485 times)
alex d

« on: May 11, 2007, 08:52:52 am »

well, it turns out the chromoly studs I bought are made in taiwan Empi items...anyone know if they are worth a try or I can trash them directly? (I'm afraid I know the answer...)
besserwisser

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 11:39:10 am »

Personaly I have stopped using aftermarket studs since the ones on my motor streched and the threads got out of wack. Changed to VW-original and havent had any problems yet. I´m sure though that there are good ones out there but why change something that works.
alex d

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 12:30:17 pm »

Personaly I have stopped using aftermarket studs since the ones on my motor streched and the threads got out of wack. Changed to VW-original and havent had any problems yet. I´m sure though that there are good ones out there but why change something that works.

what brand where yours?
Alan Uyeno

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 15:22:26 pm »

I really like the bugpack chromoly studs. No cutting required and seems good so far. My CB chromoly studs required alot of cutting to fit my 2332.
besserwisser

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 18:52:24 pm »

The ones that streched were Scat and the bad part is when you use longer than stock you dont get all the threads inside the case. there is too much thread in both ends.When I use the stock ones I try to get the nut all the way down so no threads are showing. I´m sure that most brands are ok, but I have headstuds from over 20 engines so I see no reason to buy aftermarket.The one thing that bothers me is that ther is no tourqing instructions for chromemoly as compared to VW. We dont use the same for VWrodbolts as to ARP rod bolts. Things like that can ruin many nights sleep.zzzzzzzzzzzzz
besserwisser

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 19:26:34 pm »

Cant help being a smart as. What is the pricedifference between Raceware stud and some of an old motor. Dont get me wrong but most of the original vw stuff is quality beyond what the stock motors needed. You change the rodbolts on VWrods and they can take some serious beating. You weld counterweights to a 35yearold crank and you rev the snort out of it. How about 243hp out of a 1915 with a Demello 69 crank. It has been done by the Swedish guru JPM . Na needless to say. As for me I always use original parts if I can,and they haven´t let me down yet.
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 20:48:47 pm »

Im using the Scat 8mm Turbo Studs 190,000 PSI TENSILE STRENGTH they work well. Also Troy Palmer in the US runs them and his car run hard.

Hahaha your killing me.........
alex d

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 14:23:52 pm »

oh well, I have ordered a set of cb studs, we'll see how it turns out!
Original VW studs would be ok, but around here you can only get brazilian ones....no thanks!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: