The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 09:40:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  riviera's not fitting my fastback
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: riviera's not fitting my fastback  (Read 3213 times)
nicolas

« on: May 13, 2007, 20:33:53 pm »

hey

i just switched the wheels of my fasty with my square and i am a wee little worried abot that...

the wheels didn't have much clearance on the square, but now on the fastback they rub the fenders. the tires are regular firestone  165/80/15 . on the fastback i have put more effort in getting all the panels straight and i guess it is why they rub on this one and not on the square.
what am i to do? i will be putting real empi 8 spokes on it when i get them from the tireshop (that has been taking weeks now) and fit them. but will they fit ok with the same 165 tires?
i know the original type3 wheels are so tucked in and aftermarket ones are wider and have a different offset, but will 8spokes fit? i am worried i will need to put in some short axles to make it work. can someone help me out on this, what setup do you have on your type3?

thanks for helping
Bryan67

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 21:10:02 pm »

Here`s my 69 Fastback with early Rivieras and 145`s and 165`s. Lots of room here.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
nicolas

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 21:15:25 pm »

thanks

but do the later ones have a different offset? are they wider. because when i look at your car it seems indeed that they have room to spare, but on mine they rub. maybe the rivis i got are aftermarket. i never bothered to check it out...

thanks

btw i may have said it before, but nice car. simple and clean by the looks of it

nicolas

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 07:41:08 am »

Maybe the Square has Beetle brakes? What years are the cars in question??

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
nicolas

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 11:48:01 am »

the 67 square where everything fits, tight but no worries, has been converted to IRS. but before that it ran a swingtranny and no problems on that car.

the one that has the problem is the 66 fastback. and both have the same drums from a 4 lug type3. if this problem stays with the 8 spokes i will have to go for short axles. so that will be setting back the whole idea of getting the car ready for bugin... hope not but we shall see

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 15:59:25 pm »

Is it rubbing badly? If its not too bad you can roll the inner lip of the fender in for additional clearance. That's how I stuffed 205/70s on mine with 5.5" Porsche 914 steels (stock axles and brakes). Just stuffed a baseball bat in there while my buddy rolled the car back and forth Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
nicolas

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 19:21:47 pm »

Is it rubbing badly? If its not too bad you can roll the inner lip of the fender in for additional clearance. That's how I stuffed 205/70s on mine with 5.5" Porsche 914 steels (stock axles and brakes). Just stuffed a baseball bat in there while my buddy rolled the car back and forth Wink

thought about that  Roll Eyes

but the car has been painted and i found it a silly idea alltogether to have such a fine job ruined before even driving the car. i usually drive 100meters before a freshly finished car has an accident and needs to get back to the garage.  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: