The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 15:47:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  2276 keeps blowing oil filters from cold?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 2276 keeps blowing oil filters from cold?  (Read 10357 times)
peach_

« on: October 14, 2011, 12:53:55 pm »

From cold my 2276 keeps blowing oil filters (10:1 comp, 30mm oil pump, 10/40 oil) the oil pressure is about 40psi, would a pressure releif oil pump cover do it or would a tempreture based valve be better on the flow/return, so to by pass the filter plus cooler, till warm enough? heard they could be temprimental?

When warm (I bypassed everything and just looped the oil pump) it ran up fine, then while still warm reconnected filter and cooler adn had no problems.

Any experenices or veiws would be great.

So far its destroyed 4 fram oil filters, one faulty oil cooler, and around £150 worth oil on the garage floor! so im nearly done with the whole project! Cry

Cheers Huh

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
sonic

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 12:56:42 pm »

Take a good look at your rear relief spring and piston ....  Wink

Regards
Erich
leec

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 13:23:25 pm »

Agree with above,
did you build the motor yourself? I was advised not to run a 30mm pump on my 2276.

Would a pressure relief oil pump cover help?

Lee
peach_

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 13:49:05 pm »

Take a good look at your rear relief spring and piston ....  Wink

Regards
Erich

Well why would it be fine without the filter etc linked in? if the case relief valve was a problem, wouldnt it of blown the standard oil cooler on top of the case when i bypassed everything?

cheers for the quick responses.

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

#CALLOOKDRAGS
peach_

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 13:50:57 pm »

Agree with above,
did you build the motor yourself? I was advised not to run a 30mm pump on my 2276.

Would a pressure relief oil pump cover help?

Lee

No, but the guy who built it is sorting me out with a pressure releif pump cover, but while i was waiting would just ask around, im sure he'll sort it, but cant hurt to get other opinions.

cheers

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 14:17:09 pm »

I had this problem

You need to loose the oil cooler for the winter or as you say a relief pump cover

There's just too much oil to move from cold when the temps start dropping 

regards Ron

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 14:44:42 pm »

Pressure relief valve cover would do the trick. Although 40psi doesn't seem to be that high?

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
peach_

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 14:51:19 pm »

Pressure relief valve cover would do the trick. Although 40psi doesn't seem to be that high?

Thats what i thought, thats why i thought about a temp valve. closed when the oil temps low (bypasses the filter plus cooler) opens when it warms up and flows through the fliter etc.

Huh Undecided

#CALLOOKDRAGS
peach_

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 14:52:55 pm »

I had this problem

You need to loose the oil cooler for the winter or as you say a relief pump cover

regards Ron

did you just bypass the filter and cooler then? just linked the pump round to its self?

#CALLOOKDRAGS
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 16:40:57 pm »

The pressure relief cover will do the trick. I use them on all the motors I build, and I use the Berg 26mm pump, that should be sufficient. Why 30mm? Anyway, the Berg covers clicks off around 60lbs. When I worked there with Andy (RIP), he had a tester that would test these covers, and 60lbs is when it would bypass. They work.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Peter Roberts

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 16:47:16 pm »

I've run 30 mm pumps plenty of times , especially if the car has a large external cooler .

I always run a 30 mm pump with a relief cover , and never blown a filter . Did on the first engine I was involved with 16 years ago , I hadn't built it , but was fitting it . It had a 30 mm Melling pump , and blew several filter oil rings out . I spoke to John Maher , he said fit a relief cover , which i did , no more problems .

that 40 psi is probably the case pressure , after the rear ( flywheel ) control valve has done it's job . The pressure at the pump is probably way over that .

pupjoint

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 18:02:18 pm »

why 10/40 oil?

not really directly related, but 2 weeks back i just had a stock 1584cc rebuilt, std std case, std bearings, new P/C, stock pump, i ran 5W/30. i live in the tropics and i dint have any low oil pressure issues.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 18:04:28 pm by pupjoint » Logged
peach_

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 19:52:15 pm »

I've run 30 mm pumps plenty of times , especially if the car has a large external cooler .

I always run a 30 mm pump with a relief cover , and never blown a filter . Did on the first engine I was involved with 16 years ago , I hadn't built it , but was fitting it . It had a 30 mm Melling pump , and blew several filter oil rings out . I spoke to John Maher , he said fit a relief cover , which i did , no more problems .

that 40 psi is probably the case pressure , after the rear ( flywheel ) control valve has done it's job . The pressure at the pump is probably way over that .

The pressure relief cover will do the trick. I use them on all the motors I build, and I use the Berg 26mm pump, that should be sufficient. Why 30mm? Anyway, the Berg covers clicks off around 60lbs. When I worked there with Andy (RIP), he had a tester that would test these covers, and 60lbs is when it would bypass. They work.
Ted

I'm sure the pressure releif valve will do the trick then (fingers crossed), very true Peter that Is the case pressure not pump pressure, never though off that, yes I do have. Large oil cooler 19 row I think.

Cheers

#CALLOOKDRAGS
jaqo

Bugster Team

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 01:17:55 am »

Just for the record - fram oil filter can take much more then 100psi
Taylor

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 01:33:06 am »

Just for the record,  what fram filter are you using?  Are you sure the oil filter adapter is hooked up (in/out) right?
Bruce

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 04:16:00 am »

Dump the 10W-40 and use 5W-30.  Your engine is telling you your oil is too thick.
Also, buy a better filter than the lousy Fram.  That's the worst choice you could ever make.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 05:43:29 am »

Just for the record,  what fram filter are you using?  Are you sure the oil filter adapter is hooked up (in/out) right?
Good point Taylor.....!

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Taylor

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 06:22:44 am »

The only reason I say that is that if you run the filter backwards it will still pass oil but will create back pressure,  this might explain why when the oil hits the sending unit it only shows 40psi. Just thinking out loud.
Taylor
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 07:22:26 am »

Dump the 10W-40 and use 5W-30.  Your engine is telling you your oil is too thick.
Also, buy a better filter than the lousy Fram.  That's the worst choice you could ever make.

I agree on all counts.

IMO there's little reason to run an oil thicker than 30w (or 10-30) in a well-built engine. Someone's gonna stone me for heresy but I say go even lower viscosity. A 30mm pump in a VW is largely overkill so take advantage of it by using a good 0-20 synthetic. Just watch the oil pressure. The 10psi per 1,000rpm rule of thumb has served me well for years. Listen to the engine. Let it tell you what it wants. You won't hurt an engine in a few miles if the pressure drops a bit below that 10-1,000 rule of thumb. Just don't beat on it if it starts to drop to dangerous levels (it won't).

And while there's nothing wrong with a pressure-relief pump cover (that others have brought up) I believe they're largely unnecessary in almost all applications. The VW engine already has a pressure relief. If you're blowing up coolers and filters your engine is telling you that its oiling system can't accommodate the volume and/or viscosity of the oil. In those cases you're wasting power driving too much pump or too thick of oil.

[/soapbox]

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
Taylor

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 08:06:48 am »

I don't fully agree with the above.   The oil suggestions are good but the original post says he is blowing them off with 40psi. That doesn't make any sense,  he has something non actual oil going on.  He could pit 5wt. In it and rev it to 4000 rpm and blow it off.
hotrodsurplus

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 08:39:40 am »

the original post says he is blowing them off with 40psi. That doesn't make any sense,  he has something non actual oil going on.  He could pit 5wt. In it and rev it to 4000 rpm and blow it off.

Damned accelerated culture making me overlook details!  Roll Eyes

That changes things. Thanks for tenderly letting me know I screwed up. Smiley

Are you SURE the pressure sender matches the gauge? For example, VDO makes an 80-psi gauge and a 150-psi gauge. Each has its own sender: 360 006 for the 80 gauge and 360 023 for the 150 gauge (gauge with idiot light; single-pole gauges have slightly different numbers). I'm sort of guessing here, but if you're using a sender for a 150 gauge on an 80 gauge and it reads half, it stands to reason the engine is making 75psi (that's half on a 150 after all). You get the point.

Time for a more precise diagnosis. First off, if you don't already have one get a trusty mechanical gauge and eliminate variables. Try the factory sender location first. Then try the pump outlet if you can. If it's reading 40psi at the sender fitting but 80 at the pump outlet you'll know there's a restriction between the two locations.

On a chilly Las Vegas morning in 1992 I blew apart a new Mesa cooler and ballooned a filter (can't remember brand) with a 30mm pump and 20-50 oil (before I saw the light). Bear in mind I was running stock relief springs. The cooler blew up in my driveway almost instantly after the engine lit. When cold 20-50 oil is only 20 weight and that's not much thicker than 10 weight. That said, you're in the same boat I was. if I were a bettin' man I'd wager that your engine is making a lot more than 40psi.

Sarge

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 16:55:44 pm »

My $.02 says make damn sure your using stock relief springs and stock relief pistons in the proper holes.  Guys who seem to have the problems always overlook something... it seldom is the oil pump.  My favorite story is about an engine I built long ago for the sand.  I'd had Autocraft do me an engine case with gussets welded and oil passages drilled and tapped for pipe plugs.  One of those plugs was tapped a little too much and "kissed" the pressure relief valve by the crank pulley.  After about ten minutes of driving on a beautiful sunny day in the dunes, I smelled oil burning on my freshly chromed exhaust.  The oil filter had blown up (one of those crumby HP1's)... luckily I had a sump and limped back to camp.  Went right over to the store and bought a couple more oil filters and a number of cans of oil... blew the first one off immediately before pausing to think about what was happening.  I decided to check the reliefs.  The flywheel end fell right out in the sand... the other wouldn't budge until I twisted that pipe plug slightly!  My point here is you don't need a lot of fancy stuff to get it right.  I've always used HP1 Fram filters, 30 weight oil and whatever oil pump I feel like with no problem other then one I OVERLOOKED.

DKP III
Bruce

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 18:05:20 pm »

I don't fully agree with the above.   The oil suggestions are good but the original post says he is blowing them off with 40psi. That doesn't make any sense, 
He doesn't have "only 40psi".  He's got way more pressure than that if the filter is popping.
There are 2 problems here.  Defective gauge not showing the true pressure, and wrong oil blowing filters. 
And using a junk filter.
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 22:15:55 pm »

I had this problem

regards Ron

did you just bypass the filter and cooler then? just linked the pump round to its self?

I took off the oil cooler in the cold temps and it did ok

no more blown filters and in the colder months. why do you need the cooler anyway ?

try using as csp or jaycee oil filter mount and reusable filter both top quality parts

my 2 c
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 18:33:34 pm by ROCKET RON » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
neil68

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 23:39:44 pm »

I've been running the Geers re-usable oil filter and 5W30 or 5W40 oil for several years.  I don't drive much in the winter anymore, but I do have to fire up the engine at temperatures just above freezing:

http://www.geersengineering.com/OilFilter.htm

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
peach_

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 00:07:25 am »

pressure relief cover fitted, dropped to 25psi on tick over (idle) and no blown filters as of yet, but not properly run up yet, keeping my fingers crossed  Undecided

#CALLOOKDRAGS
pupjoint

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 01:10:13 am »

still same oil?
DWL_Puavo

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 09:12:07 am »

From what part of the filter does it blow up?
If it's the rubber seal popping out, it could be because of el-cheapo filter stand - we had the same kind on problem several times when our china-made shiny filter stand had its flange a little bit tilted and no amount of tightening the filter could solve that problem. When the stand was changed to a better quality, we neved have had that kind of problem anymore.
peach_

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 22:42:08 pm »

still same oil?

Yeh still 10/40, with a good quality filter

#CALLOOKDRAGS
hotrodsurplus

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2011, 00:02:02 am »

Okay, please don't take the following the wrong way because I'm really being sincere.

I can't help but think that something is wrong in the system. There's a spring in the wrong hole or maybe they're too stiff or maybe a relief piston is stuck. Maybe it's a pump that's too big for an application or as someone else mentioned maybe even an improperly machined filter adapter. Are you also running a blockoff plate over the cooler ports in the case? There's something else going on. Engines just don't blow things apart for no reason.

And while it may address the symptoms the pressure-relief cover may just be masking the cause. It might get the pressure right in that part of the system but if there's an obstruction somewhere in the case the chances are good that a bigger, more expensive part down the line will fail.

People successfully built these engines for years--decades, even--before relief covers existed. In 25 years I've blown up only one oil-system component and I only run plain iron covers. That one failure was understandable (huge pump and thick oil on a cold morning). I fixed those issues and enjoyed great oil pressure for years after.

Don't take it that I'm down on those pump covers or any other part in your system. I just think that you should take the opportunity to discover whether or not your engine has a more pressing issue.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: