The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 15:30:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  need a color refeernce for magnesium
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: need a color refeernce for magnesium  (Read 12537 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« on: December 17, 2011, 18:08:39 pm »

as you know i've torquer wheels on my car , i've sandblasted those one some year ago and put a layer of matt varnish , but this effect, doesn't slice too much with the color of the car(picture1),
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
 then i would like to remake those, like the original magnesium ones  and for this reason, i would have liked to have a reference of color which approaches more of magnesium , and also i would like to have some tips for giving her an oxidized look as on photos below

thx in advance
fabs
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:36:49 am by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 18:32:04 pm »

I would start playing with a little black and white paint mixed together till you get the shade you like and have it matched in flat. Just a though

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 20:28:50 pm »

thx danny  ,

others idea are welcome
thx
fabs

Neil Davies

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 21:11:05 pm »

Could you spray them with laquer and then get some fine magnesium filings to sprinkle onto the laquer? That way the magnesium will be exposed to the air and will oxidise. Possible? Huh

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
John Palmer

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 23:55:24 pm »

Here in the states the auto parts stores carry a spray can paint called Cast Iron.  It is very close to natural oxidized magnesium in color and shine.
Bruce

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 08:41:04 am »

A few years ago I met a guy who had some original Fuchs on his car.  He had blasted them to remove the anodizing, then he mounted them on the front of his car that had disc brakes.  After a while, the brake dust had discoloured the wheels such that everyone commented that they looked just like mag.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:26:29 am »

A few years ago I met a guy who had some original Fuchs on his car.  He had blasted them to remove the anodizing, then he mounted them on the front of his car that had disc brakes.  After a while, the brake dust had discoloured the wheels such that everyone commented that they looked just like mag.

nice........ asbestos wheels Wink

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 01:00:59 am »

Allow your wheels to oxidize to the point at which you are satisfied, then apply a product called" Zoop Seal "( a metal preservative) and from what I understand its intended to keep metal in its current form, it needs to be applied every two years or so to prevent further oxidation . I "don't" have personal knowledge of how well it works , but this "could" work well for the look you're trying to achieve.  Also its supposed to hold up in foul whether conditions.     I hope this helps you Fabs    Smiley        KG     
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 15:33:33 pm »

thx i will see what i can found here something similar to your products

fabs Wink

xavier

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 19:18:10 pm »

Come on go for the real deal. It is only... $10k!!! Shocked
(Mr Okrasa on Thesamba)
Xavier
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 19:23:57 pm »

why not xav ,buy those one and give me them  as a gift/present for my x-mas  Grin Grin Grin Grin

thx in advance my friend  Wink

xavier

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 19:28:24 pm »

OK. So we said 7...12....19...
I'll let you know by Friday evening after the draw Grin
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 01:38:41 am »

Guys, guys ... don't fuss.
JohnL stated he's looking for a set, though he does want 5 or 6! Deal breaker???
We shall see ...
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
mg

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 02:34:09 am »

Hi John that's what these were.  Wink
Napa auto parts Cast Iron grey.
Photo Conklin.

Here in the states the auto parts stores carry a spray can paint called Cast Iron.  It is very close to natural oxidized magnesium in color and shine.
Taylor

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 05:48:31 am »

Photo Conklin.

Here in the states the auto parts stores carry a spray can paint called Cast Iron.  It is very close to natural oxidized magnesium in color and shine.

WOW! Mike, how have you been?
Taylor
butterskotch

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 14:31:18 pm »

I had mine blasted, then I boot polished them  to get the look, then applied rim wax  Wink

Before and after shot.

With tire and centre cap
mg

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 15:06:36 pm »

WOW! Mike, how have you been?
Taylor
[/quote]
Hi Taylor, Still in Vegas?
Congrats on your VW builds I saw you rx'd the DKP award, very nice.  Cool
sent ya a pm.   Smiley
Back to wheel paint....  Grin

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 15:26:07 pm »

butterskotch , that's the look i'm looking for  Shocked

John Palmer

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 17:52:00 pm »

Photo Conklin.

Hi Mike!
Funny looking at The Tomato, lots of DRKC history, and good memories in that photo.  I still have my Tomato T-Shirt hanging in my closet, LOL. 
Best to you in the Holidays, from The Palmer Boys.
johnl

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 19:04:48 pm »

JohnL stated he's looking for a set, though he does want 5 or 6! Deal breaker???
We shall see ...
TxT

I'd love to have a set of original Americans like on my car 40 years ago.  It seems that I'm the guy who brought this wheel to light way back when.  One of the mistakes I made was selling my car and all of those items that went with it.  Availability and pricing in today's world make that not practical. 

For street application I wonder how the originals would hold up.  Not being knowledgeable on metals I do hear stories of concern running originals.  I won't mention names but people who have been in the game for years and who's input I respect and own real wheels (mag) choose not to run them but rather (knock offs or as some refer phonies) for safety.  I guess the only way one would really know is if a problem occurred.  Should a set of originals become available I'd definitely have a strong interest but being realistic the $$ that are asked and I guess some pay don't seem logical to me.  Beyond that I suspect I'd have an Axe in my head or be in divorce court compliments of my wife.

Originally out of the American inventory that Doug Haydon and I purchased from the company in 1971 I kept (5) for my car.  It made a complete set for the car and later on proved to be kind of a saving grace for the future owner.  About six months after selling my car it was rolled and destroyed.  One of those wheels was messed up bad as I'm told but because there was the spare a full road set was available.

With all of that said, yes I'd probably purchase six wheels of the knock offs as it would be a full set of (5) for the car and one on the shelf just in case.  Last, I've used the Eastwood brand Cast Iron paint and found it looks good and is very durable.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
mg

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 03:19:20 am »

The Palmer Boys.

best to the team and your crazy drivers.  Cool
red/white candy cane race.  Grin
John Palmer

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 06:43:23 am »

The Palmer Boys.

best to the team and your crazy drivers.  Cool
red/white candy cane race.  Grin

Wow, you sure cut a light on the Troy! 
I think we had close to twenty Der Renn kafer Cup cars at that Phoenix race, fun times.
Thanks for the photo.
John Palmer

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 06:59:29 am »

We shall see ...
TxT

I'd love to have a set of original Americans like on my car 40 years ago.  It seems that I'm the guy who brought this wheel to light way back when.  One of the mistakes I made was selling my car and all of those items that went with it.  Availability and pricing in today's world make that not practical. 

For street application I wonder how the originals would hold up.  Not being knowledgeable on metals I do hear stories of concern running originals.  I won't mention names but people who have been in the game for years and who's input I respect and own real wheels (mag) choose not to run them but rather (knock offs or as some refer phonies) for safety.  I guess the only way one would really know is if a problem occurred.  Should a set of originals become available I'd definitely have a strong interest but being realistic the $$ that are asked and I guess some pay don't seem logical to me.  Beyond that I suspect I'd have an Axe in my head or be in divorce court compliments of my wife.

Originally out of the American inventory that Doug Haydon and I purchased from the company in 1971 I kept (5) for my car.  It made a complete set for the car and later on proved to be kind of a saving grace for the future owner.  About six months after selling my car it was rolled and destroyed.  One of those wheels was messed up bad as I'm told but because there was the spare a full road set was available.

With all of that said, yes I'd probably purchase six wheels of the knock offs as it would be a full set of (5) for the car and one on the shelf just in case.  Last, I've used the Eastwood brand Cast Iron paint and found it looks good and is very durable.

JohnL,  Troy has bought and sold 12 to 15 real magnesium BRM wheels over the years trying to come up with a set of four good wheels that still had good rim edges and were not cracked in the web.  Then, when you finally have them, they oxidize so fast that it's a pain to keep them looking good.  We often joked that by the time you worked your way around the car polishing the wheels, the first one was in need to be re-polished.  I totally understand the nostalgia and collectability thing, but in my opinion it's just not worth it to drive them on the street.  Even if you go with the original oxidized patina look, if you drive through a puddle they get spotted from the water.  Your on the right track, get some nice aluminum wheels, detail them to your liking and enjoy.  Just my opinion, and everyone is entitled to there own .
mg

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 13:59:31 pm »

Wow, you sure cut a light on the Troy!  
There was a light? I was watching the guys with the cameras.  Grin
Agree, if you want a safe wheel...old mag rots a new aluminum wheel is stronger.
ps sent ya a pm John... Smiley
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 14:17:40 pm by mg » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 14:36:38 pm »

ok guys if you want to talk about DRKC it's here
thx
fabs

mg

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 15:25:51 pm »

ok guys if you want to talk about DRKC it's here
thx
fabs

Fabs we're done.  Wink
Now we need a good spray paint with filler for all the spider web cracks in old BRMs.  Grin Wink
johnl

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 17:09:55 pm »

We shall see ...
TxT

JohnL,  Troy has bought and sold 12 to 15 real magnesium BRM wheels over the years trying to come up with a set of four good wheels that still had good rim edges and were not cracked in the web.  Then, when you finally have them, they oxidize so fast that it's a pain to keep them looking good.  We often joked that by the time you worked your way around the car polishing the wheels, the first one was in need to be re-polished.  I totally understand the nostalgia and collectability thing, but in my opinion it's just not worth it to drive them on the street.  Even if you go with the original oxidized patina look, if you drive through a puddle they get spotted from the water.  Your on the right track, get some nice aluminum wheels, detail them to your liking and enjoy.  Just my opinion, and everyone is entitled to there own .

This may or may not apply to the discussion but I thought I'd offer it.  Recently I've had communications with a friend regrading "real" vs "knock-off".  His opinion is that anyone can do a "knock-off" and I can't dispute that but as I replied to him not everone can afford the $$ that certain items (in this case wheels) bring today.  The safety and or durability issue, which may be the most important point certainly plays into the equation.  Last is finding the "real" item.

An example I used that I think parallels is six of my Chryslers (30 wheels) have Motor-Rim & Wheel wire wheels.  This was offered by Chrysler from 1953 through 1956 as a "factory option".  They are and becoming daily more difficult to find.  Once you do and pay the premium $$ then you may be faced with a restoration of the wheel which includes plating the hub and outer and replacing all spokes.  If one is smart they will not use the original style of spoke that is steel and chromed but go to a polished stainless steel spoke for durability and strength.

I've always been a "nut" on having original rather than repro wheels.  With that stated the cost to do originals has grown so much that you will have two to three times the $$ in them and the truth of the matter is a repro wire is a better quality wheel in that it is more true, can safely be run tubless and you have more options on diameters and widths.  By the time you find and rebuild an original you can easily have $1000 in it and you can purchase a set of 4 repro (knock-off) for about $1500.  Sure I can walk up to a car and immediately see the difference, but most can't and at 60 miles per hour they all look the same.

Finally, I remember years ago in the DKP I Club House there was a real BRM from Aronson's car that had broken the entire outer rim off doing a burn out.  We used it for a place to hang a hose to wash things with.  Today and even back then it could probably be repaired, but at what cost and would you trust it on the road??

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 18:32:10 pm »

Speedwell!
Getting back to mag coloring, am I on the right track imagining that you may be trying to reproduce not only the color but the texture  of the bare magnesium? Unfortunately, outside of the flat texture, it seems there may not be a single answer to the color. As the mag 'weathers' it gets darker, correct? So, it'd be your choice as to the shade. I'm thinking kind of a darker-charcoal shade for your car ... something in between the body color and black.
Are your wheels the JGEs? Your 'Look' is GREAT! In the lighting of the photo you posted, I think the wheels look pretty good NOW.
So, perhaps Danny's suggestion of mixing a custom shade would be best? ... as long as it's flat!
Certainly a very good idea. The stock silver color on the JGEs is a bit lacking, in my opinion.

TxT

By the way, I feel the proper term for a wheel such as the JGE torker, or Flat4 BRM, or whatever the remake may be for a piece that's no longer available by the original manufacturer would be 'reproduction'.
Certainly the terms 'fake' or 'knock-off' could be used, providing You currently own an original Wink
Not that I care at all ...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 18:36:54 pm by TexasTom » Logged

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 18:55:02 pm »

tom you're right about the texture , i would like to make the closest repro of magnesium wheel ,

my wheels are JGE torquer , may be the best copy ever of the american racing

now after the sandblasting the wheels had a little" orange peel" , may that will help for the look

i will see

may be some one can give maxx (owner of old darlk lord) i know he send me a reference abou the color of his wheels but i've lost that email

thx
fabs

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 19:04:26 pm »

here's max torquer wheel on the dark lord oval

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »