The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 08:12:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  FONTANA DRAGWAY CLOSES
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: FONTANA DRAGWAY CLOSES  (Read 13144 times)
deano

« on: March 01, 2012, 02:35:01 am »

Yes, you read that right. In an unrelated court case with the recent closure of Irwindale Speedway, the 1/4-mile drag strip at the California Motor Speedway has closed. This could mean that the up-coming Bug-In, slated for Sunday, April 29 could be cancelled. Issues with excessive noise and complaints from local businesses are said to be at the heart of the closure. From what we have heard, the track has to build a massive 1700-foot sound wall along the backside of the track to reduce the noise exposure. And that million dollar wall will take time to build! During the past one month, the VW industry has lost three major events in the Southern California area! Yikes.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Susy

PowderPuff VW Racing Rocks

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 03:21:19 am »

Let's all think positive.

Off their Website:

A Superior Court has suspended operation of the Auto Club Dragway.  The suspension results from a successful challenge of a San Bernardino County sound standard by a group of concerned residents.  San Bernardino County officials had approved an amendment to the County Sound Standard in 2010 to accommodate louder sound arising from races at the Dragway.  The Superior Court found that the underlying Environmental Impact Report which the County relied on to approve the sound standard amendment was not sufficient.

We are currently reviewing the court ruling and evaluating our options moving forward. We hope to have more detailed information about our future operations at the Dragway soon. 

The NHRA Street Legal Drags on Saturday, March 3rd will be canceled.

MSH Racing
1970 Karmann Ghia
Type 1 - 2400cc  48 IDA's - 12 Second Street Car - Pump Gas
PowderPuff VW Racing Coordinator
2009 & 2010 Series Two PowderPuff Champion
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 03:38:33 am »

Yes, you read that right. In an unrelated court case with the recent closure of Irwindale Speedway, the 1/4-mile drag strip at the California Motor Speedway has closed. This could mean that the up-coming Bug-In, slated for Sunday, April 29 could be cancelled. Issues with excessive noise and complaints from local businesses are said to be at the heart of the closure. From what we have heard, the track has to build a massive 1700-foot sound wall along the backside of the track to reduce the noise exposure. And that million dollar wall will take time to build! During the past one month, the VW industry has lost three major events in the Southern California area! Yikes.

So they want a sound wall built in between the track and the railroad tracks?   Huh

Unbelievable!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Dan Mazur

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 03:52:36 am »

Major Bummer...

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
kingsburgphil

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:53:31 am »

When everyone stops crying in their beer....come to the March Meet at Famoso this weekend for some good old fashioned drag racing.

http://www.famosoraceway.com/bakersfield-march-meet-2012/9-26-11_release.html
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:19:47 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:58:55 am »

Wow! Three VW events cancelled all within a month's time. Cry
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:04:29 am by WCB Cal-look FOCKER » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Susy

PowderPuff VW Racing Rocks

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 04:08:46 am »

What are the 3 events canceled?

Drag Day (in March) & ?

Bug In has not been canceled yet.  Why don't we wait till we hear from Rich & Ron, till we speculate!

MSH Racing
1970 Karmann Ghia
Type 1 - 2400cc  48 IDA's - 12 Second Street Car - Pump Gas
PowderPuff VW Racing Coordinator
2009 & 2010 Series Two PowderPuff Champion
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 04:19:50 am »

I'm with Susy... It will suck not having Drag Racing but we can still have the rest of Bug-In.

Hey Susy... maybe this will give you and Mike a chance to hang with us!

stealth67vw

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 05:36:23 am »

Firebird is closing 2013 also.

http://bangshift.com/blog/is-firebird-international-raceway-going-to-close-in-2013.html

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 05:39:11 am »

This really sucks, well, it's time to put in our streetable motor's now, or start getten trailers for Sac, or Phoenix, OH!, they may shut that down too! The really bad thing is that some racers may start street racing, and that is not good. Well, lets see what happens like Suzy says, you never know, somebody may get Irwindale and start it up again, and Fontana may solve there issues. Wouldn't throw the towel in yet!

Ted

VW Classic 2012
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 06:04:03 am »

Once an EIR has been drafted, it can be a thousand pages, or so. It needs to be filed, and a minimum of 45 days must pass to prepare for public hearings. This is the minimum. This is also the draft version, not the follow up versions, or the final versions. I don't think the courts or the EPA could care less that it might interfere with a VW event. I doubt the engineering and wind sheer studies of a retaining wall, let alone the  construction would be done in eight weeks. Of, course, they can't even start that until the EIR is done. Well, maybe they'll get a judge that's a race fan...

I also park at Nick's.
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 08:30:28 am »

I just had take my flight ticket for bug-in
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 08:37:04 am »

So they want a sound wall built in between the track and the railroad tracks?   Huh

Unbelievable!

Well... yeah. Trains are a quiet people and cannot deal with noise very well. They have rights, too.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 08:39:44 am »

My concern is with the possible closing of these tracks; there will be a rise in illegal street racing. Its time to change over to cheater slicks. Woohoo!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:46:24 am by WCB Cal-look FOCKER » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 08:50:34 am »

When was Fontana Raceway built? People who bought or build a house nearby should know that a racetrack means some noise...

It's like people who buy a house near an airport and then complain about planes...

So.Cal.Life

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 09:01:29 am »

Solution : "VOLTS"wagens , they are quiet , everybody wants em...................... sorry , I just had to.     Grin
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 13:39:47 pm »

I just had take my flight ticket for bug-in
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Aww sorry to hear that. Change the flight for The Classic instead Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 16:48:19 pm »

I think that's what I may have to do also.
 Cry
johnl

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 17:13:49 pm »

When was Fontana Raceway built? People who bought or build a house nearby should know that a racetrack means some noise...

It's like people who buy a house near an airport and then complain about planes...

To my knowledge the current track (drag strip) is at least the second one with the Fontana name attached.  Back in the '60's I use to go to what I believe was the "original" Fontana Drag Strip and it was a a terrible place.  There were holes so large in the pit area the joke was you could loose you car in one.  The bathrooms were ALWAYS flooded and safety was not a concern as you could stand right along the strip from beginning to end with only the guard rail for protection.  None of that mattered much as we always had a great time.

Over those years I saw many a famous car and names make the pass.  Here is a link that shows some photos of the old place:  http://www.standard1320.com/1320History/Tracks/Tracks.html

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 18:09:06 pm »

The (oval) track was opened in (I think) '97.

The drag strip opened later. It was first on the front side of the track and was later moved to it's present location in '02

Geoff P DVKK

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 19:23:26 pm »

This sums it up nicely..

http://captiongenerator.com/378/No-VW-Drag-Racing-in-Southern-California
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 21:42:51 pm »

LMAO!!
Thanks for that Grin
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 01:31:05 am »

I've always wondered how it is that Pomona is able to remain open with its nearby neighborhoods and businesses.  Granted they only have two events per year, but still.

As for the comment above about people moving in after the track and knowing that there's noise, well....  Remember El Toro Marine Base?  The flight path became hillside homes and pretty soon the lawyers started lawyering and the rest is history.  Riverside, Fontana, Irwindale, Palmdale/Antelope Valley, and the many, many others that wound up closing due in part to noise.

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 03:57:45 am »

Why is it always dragstrips and never Nascar or Formula 1 type tracks ?
kingsburgphil

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 06:09:11 am »

Why is it always dragstrips and never Nascar or Formula 1 type tracks ?
We lost Ontario and Riverside, which hosted USAC, SCCA, NASCAR and a dragstrip.  Dragstrips seem to have shallow pockets and excessive noise.
 When I lived in NE Santa Ana, I could hear the fuelers at OCIR under ideal weather conditions. Not to mention the smaller tax base per acre in
comparison to subdivisions and retail stores.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 07:21:28 am »

Don't forget Ascot Phil!

Living in North Tustin, I could hear the OCIR "Grudge Night" cars on a good night. Anytime they ran Fuel cars, I could hear them!  Grin

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 11:17:23 am »

Don't forget Ascot Phil!

Living in North Tustin, I could hear the OCIR "Grudge Night" cars on a good night. Anytime they ran Fuel cars, I could hear them!  Grin
Isn't 'North Tustin' just a posh name for east Santa Ana? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 16:45:54 pm »

http://www.pe.com/local-news/breaking-news-headlines/20120301-fontana-court-decision-shuts-down-drag-strip.ece

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 18:37:40 pm »

Don't forget Ascot Phil!

Isn't 'North Tustin' just a posh name for east Santa Ana? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

LOL Well yes and no.

We were in an area that was not within city boundaries. We were closest to Tustin but our mailing address was actually Santa Ana since it was the closest "large" city and was where the county government was located. When my parents moved there in '62 Tustin was less than 5000 residence. Tustin was in between where we lived and the actual city of Santa Ana.

Greg Bunch actually lives a few blocks from where I grew up.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 19:12:13 pm »

Rick, there's nothing to be ashamed of. Santa Ana rocks (usually to the sound of gunfire, agreed...).  Grin Grin

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: