The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 02:47:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Silverline bearings, beware!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Silverline bearings, beware!  (Read 5808 times)
alex d

« on: June 14, 2007, 11:38:13 am »

I bought a set of main bearings from a local supplier, std case +1 crank, in this size they didn't have KS or Mahle, so they gave me a box of made in Mexico Silverlines, "yes you can use them they work ok too", well of course they don't! when I slipped the bearings in the crank they just didn't feel alright, being a novice builder I thought maybe it's just my imagination, but just in case I took my crank to a friend who has real measuring tools and of course the bearings are completely out of spec Angry
good news is the crank checked out perfectly  Cool

oh well, live and learn, now I have a set of KS here on my desk, can't wait to get out of work  Grin
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 12:47:40 pm »

oh well, live and learn, now I have a set of KS here on my desk, can't wait to get out of work  Grin
You can always rely on KS! Grin Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Garrick Clark

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 16:49:02 pm »

I've been having an engine noise issue on a type 4 motor. Had a look on the lounge for a similar issue, and here it is the exact same issue with the same make of bearings from Mexico .
This motor has  a 0.25 crank , standard case. I had some NEW silverline bearings on the shelf so used them. The crank is in spec and only needed a polish. The motor has done a couple thou miles and didn't sound right. So stripped it down and started measuring. what I found was 4 thou clearance on in I.D of the flywheel bearing. Bought some more bearings this week. fitted the fly wheel bearing to the crank. this bearing has another thou and half clearance on the I.D.
5.5 thou clearance Cold.

I'm now  having to get some 0.50 mains for this and get each journal ground to fit the i.d of each bearing just incase there out of spec too.

NOT HAPPY. 

Air cooled Engine builder
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 17:29:04 pm »

New Mahle and Kolbenschmidt Type 1 bearings do not feature steel backed # 2 bearing halves. At least last time I checked.
The nicest main bearings I've used in recent past were Clevite, I bought them @ Pierside Parts in 2013

Joel Mohr

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 20:37:41 pm »

Also, the bearings need to be measured under "crush"....

SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!
Bryan67

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 23:31:47 pm »

I just asked the engine builder at my work about this. He only does stock 1600 builds here and has had better luck with Silverlines then Mahles.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Garrick Clark

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 10:36:17 am »

Yeah that's what  were going to do. Fit the  bearings to the case and torque it down.

Udo

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 12:31:19 pm »

I have found out some of the silverline work and others are not correct. Some of the center bearings touch the crank

Udo

Torben Alstrup

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 12:43:12 pm »

I have found out some of the silverline work and others are not correct. Some of the center bearings touch the crank

Udo
Yes. EVERYTHING has to be checked. Over the last 3 ½ years i have seen issues with ALL brands, even KS, which are not what they used to be. On one engine (Type 4 ) I built this spring I went through 3 set to get correct crush.
"Today" you have to match crank and bearings. The leftover bearings may possibly fit in another engine.

T
Garrick Clark

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 19:38:32 pm »

I have this motor sorted now. Got a set of Mahle bearings in 0.5. ground the crank to the mains. Got 2 thou dry clearance. All is well. This motor is a type 4 too.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: