The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 16:43:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350827 Posts in 28601 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  New engine for the Gasburner-Ghia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New engine for the Gasburner-Ghia  (Read 4647 times)
Georg/DFL

« on: June 26, 2007, 18:41:25 pm »

Hi everybody,

since two years my Ghia is sitting in his garage, waiting for the 2276 cc type 3 engine. Because it is not your everyday typ 1 engine I coudn't buy some of the stuff needed of the shelf and there was more work to make everything factory look.

In 2005 it went to the Bugbox in Germnay for some new paint in the engine bay and a subframe from a swing axle type 3 (because it has framehorns, an IRS subframe doesn't) with my IRS mounting brakets welded on. It also got a Rancho gear box, 100 mm stub axels, 100 mm cv joints and so on. Everything was painted or powdercoated.

Last saturday I got my longblock that was build by Wittkuhn, a very well known engine builder here in Germany. It should have arrived a month earlyer, but that's how it is. Today I fitted the longblock, put the carbs on and closed all holes in the engine, except the four for the header. That one still has to be made by A1. I need a 1 3/4 (44 mm) and you can't get something like that of the shelf (for a type 3 that is).

Well, here is one of the first pictures and I really wonder who will be the first to spot the difference. Like I said, it all looks factory but it isn't. The guys at Bugbox had to to a major surgery on my car, before I was able to fit the engine with the IDAs.  Wink

If everythings going to plan I will have the car finished for DAS Drag Day in September. My aim was to race the car at EBI...
Cheers,

Georg
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 22:22:46 pm by Georg/DFL » Logged

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 11:15:03 am »

You are right Georg, the sheet metal DOES look stock! The engine look a "bit" more powerfull than my friends 1500 T34... Grin Grin see you at Bug-In!!  Smiley 

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Georg/DFL

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 22:43:46 pm »

Actually, even after the opening was widened the carb on the left side has NOT enough space. Now Udo Becker is doing a custom build manifold that sets the left carb a bit more inside and backwards. then, I guess, I have to modify the linkage... it's not easy to have a razoredge... Wink

See you tomorrow! Or friday?
Cheers,

Georg

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
ESH

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 23:16:25 pm »

Looking good, 'bout time too!  Cool
alfie the monster

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 13:56:56 pm »

Awesome car, I took a few pictures at EBI I can dig out if you like?

Walter knows his stuff, he's bring over a razor to me next week for my friend... Yours makes makes me want to keep it  Cheesy

JG54 Grunherz
Dokke/DFL

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 15:30:36 pm »

Don't have to race it at DDD, just enjoy first because it's finally DONE !!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: