The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 14:44:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Tow bar (Empi or what ever) - Legal or Not in EUOPE ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tow bar (Empi or what ever) - Legal or Not in EUOPE ?  (Read 3799 times)
GreenTom

« on: January 07, 2013, 16:53:52 pm »

Hi,

I'm getting prepared for EBI and I started to wonder if towing a bug using "the" tow bar is legal i Europe (Gemany, Holland, Belgium, France) - I exclude Poland cuz our country is specifick Tongue

I've lots of campervans towing a smart in Germany and in England. I've got car trailer but don't know if I'll get it ready for EBI.

I would be grateful for any info.
all best in Ner Year by the way.

cheers
Tom.

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 17:08:48 pm »

there's no real rules about the tow bar in belgium  for sure don't use it on the highway and some said it's illegal and some said it's like towing a trailer

i 've done that several time with no problem , ....but one time tehh cops see me and gave a ticket for towing a car on a highway

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
henk

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 19:47:21 pm »

in belgium it is NOT legal.
fiirst off al i think it is not legal to make a trailer of a car i think.
and if you tow a something over 750KG(if i'm right) you have to have a trailer with a brake.
so when you brake the trailer arm get compressed and stops the trailer.
no idea how this is called in english but i guess you know what i mean.

henk!!!
GreenTom

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 20:30:02 pm »

My car weight less than 750kg Cheesy

here in Poland all trailers over 750kg have to have brake.

Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Neil Davies

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 21:28:40 pm »

Tom, I know it's not all relevant, but there is a lot of information on towing in the UK here: http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/topic/overview-towing-62484

Basically if you wanted to tow on an A-frame, you would need to have the towed vehicle road legal. I think this is pretty much Europe-wide, but don't take my word for it!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
GreenTom

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 21:44:35 pm »

Yes my car is road legal, I don't bother about Poland but mostly Germany and their hard law. We are going for a trip before EBI s we won't see  hi ways.
I also have B+E licence so should be cool with that.

Thank you for any informations.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 21:49:44 pm by GreenTom » Logged

Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Ole

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 17:31:01 pm »

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but in Germany it's not legal. I spent some time discussing with a friend of mine, he's a TÜV-engineer. First of all you'd have to have a driver's license for trucks, because your "trailer" has more than one axle. Then you won't find any A-frames for beetles with a certificate the TÜV or any other supervisory authority will accept...

A legal way is to use a trailing axle.

You'd still need a driver's license for trucks, and the weight of the "trailer" and the tow vehicle has to fit. I wonder myself why only very few people use these axles.

Saludos,
Ole

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
GreenTom

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 19:28:38 pm »

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but in Germany it's not legal. I spent some time discussing with a friend of mine, he's a TÜV-engineer. First of all you'd have to have a driver's license for trucks, because your "trailer" has more than one axle. Then you won't find any A-frames for beetles with a certificate the TÜV or any other supervisory authority will accept...

A legal way is to use a trailing axle.

You'd still need a driver's license for trucks, and the weight of the "trailer" and the tow vehicle has to fit. I wonder myself why only very few people use these axles.

Saludos,
Ole

Thaknx for info.
This kind of stuff is illegal in Poland.
I've got a licence B+E (for car and trailer over 3,5tons)
So I just have to get may trailer redy and running.

Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
jaqo

Bugster Team

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 11:07:33 am »

Ole I'm pretty sure my A-frame for a beetle has a TUV cert on it. Using a tow bar (at least in Poland) counts as towing a car not a trailer so you can do this but there are some speed limits and you can't do this on highways
Muroc

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 09:22:53 am »

I had an accident with my oval in tow (tow-bar).
A children crossed the street on his skateboard in front of me without looking at the traffic.
Fortunately I was driving slowly but I hit him with the left of the car (a Defender).
The cops came by and I went to the police station to make a statement about the accident, they noticed in their deposit that I was towing a car with a tow-bar (I had to spell the word to them) but I never had any problem because of the tow bar ( luckily either about the accident for which I was cleared).

In Belgium there is nothing in the law speaking about a Tow-bar, but a dolly is forbidden.....

64 Cal Look Beetle
68 Pontiac Catalina Station Wagon
72 Procharged Buick Skylark coupe
78 Dodge B200 Maxivan Shaggyvan
89 Golf GTI 8s

http://www.autobahn.be/

http://westancebywestcoast.blogspot.be/
my cars : http://westcoastgarage.blogspot.be/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: