The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 19:47:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350688 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  type 4 200mm aftermarket flywheel problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: type 4 200mm aftermarket flywheel problem  (Read 7100 times)
Eddie DVK

« on: July 07, 2013, 10:39:02 am »

Hi,

Do people who have a type 4 200mm aftermarket flywheel run in trouble with eating up cranck-flywheel seal.
I am driving the engine about 2 year (about 6000km) with this flywheel and it is the 3th time that the flywheel seal starts to leak.
Are the measurements off this flywheel off? especially the radius, which I can t measure?
I tryed both versions off seals normal and vitton one, but the result is the same after about 2000 km it starts to leak (and slipping of the clutch).

Help appreciated

Regards Edgar

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:40:51 am by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
spanners

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 10:55:48 am »

Most folk fit the seal wrongly and only flush with the case, it must seat right down in the case bore. Wink

Best regards, spanners.
Eddie DVK

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 19:55:07 pm »

ok, I did that to, but that s how it is written in most manuals..  Undecided
You say I have to put it in till it will not go futher?

Edit: If you putt it whole in, won t it block the oil galley that lubricates the flywheel seal if I remember correctly?

Regards Edgar
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 20:26:08 pm by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
JIMP

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 06:43:35 am »

Eddie

you mean the chinese version that comes directly for 200mm clutch? If this is the case maybe the flywheel is the problem, we used one on our drag car beleiving that is a true forged one as they told us. I understood that something isn't 100% O.K. when we were making some test measurements and we had to put on and off the flywheel several times, in that time we didn't use the central washer with 5 holes for the bolts but we secured directly with bolts and not even in the specified torque but less. When we got the bolts off, the spots on the flywheel were like "milled" from the bolts heads, that soft it was. So wasn't any surprise for us when on the dyno after about 6-7 sessions ripped off altogether on the flange section, only 1 bolt remained tight and that saved the rest of the engine -and us- . We're supposing that being so soft some of the bolts loosed their preload and started getting undone, after this the disaster is not away, so what I want to say for your case maybe being that soft has already done some kind of "channel" like an aluminum would do so the seal can't do it's job any more, I would check it if I was you

Friendly

Dimitrios
karl h

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 06:48:11 am »

only the porsche 914 flywheels are forged (like all type 1 Flywheels), stock type 4 is cast

Eddie DVK

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 09:54:04 am »

Eddie

you mean the chinese version that comes directly for 200mm clutch? If this is the case maybe the flywheel is the problem, we used one on our drag car beleiving that is a true forged one as they told us. I understood that something isn't 100% O.K. when we were making some test measurements and we had to put on and off the flywheel several times, in that time we didn't use the central washer with 5 holes for the bolts but we secured directly with bolts and not even in the specified torque but less. When we got the bolts off, the spots on the flywheel were like "milled" from the bolts heads, that soft it was. So wasn't any surprise for us when on the dyno after about 6-7 sessions ripped off altogether on the flange section, only 1 bolt remained tight and that saved the rest of the engine -and us- . We're supposing that being so soft some of the bolts loosed their preload and started getting undone, after this the disaster is not away, so what I want to say for your case maybe being that soft has already done some kind of "channel" like an aluminum would do so the seal can't do it's job any more, I would check it if I was you

Friendly

Dimitrios

Yes I mean the flywheel that accepts the 200 type 1 clutch stuff.
Ok that doesn t sound ok. I didn t notice the softness sofar. But will check.
Will have to look if the bolts are still on the torque spec. I can t remeber from the two times that I pulled the engine that those where off.
The endplay of the crank was not off, I measured those and that was still ok.
Just the seal is leaking, the last time I polished(scottsbride) the 'neck' of the flywheel a little. But without result.

Bought a type 4 215mm flywheel, I think I am going to use that one, and see if that one starts to leak after a few thousand km.

Regards Edgar

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:55:36 am by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

Eddie DVK

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 10:04:00 am »

Bump,

somebody maybe got a solution on how to put the seal in correct, or some kind of special treatment for the seal or flywheel?

Regards Edgar
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:33:28 am by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

Udo

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 11:18:24 am »

I have a brand new original 200mm flywheel for sale :-)

Did you messure if it does not go up and down ? some do not have the center of the crank at the flywheel

Udo

spanners

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 16:13:58 pm »

Fit the seal to the BOTTOM of the bore, not flush with the case, if you do it will leak,  fit a new 'o'ring, ensure end float is to spec, lubricate lightly the flywheel radius and 'o' ring and fit the flywheel, my flywheel is Chinese made' European' one 200mm T4 type, its good quality and hard as it should be, i've raced it hard for years no problems.

Best regards, spanners.
Old Guy

Barrett Racing Pro Gas 10.75ET 123.18MPH

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 16:20:42 pm »

All Chinese flywheels are not the same.  I know the AA 200mm, 215mm and 215mm Porsche are all Forged.

Old Guy
JIMP

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 17:19:23 pm »

Posted by: Old Guy
Insert Quote
All Chinese flywheels are not the same.  I know the AA 200mm, 215mm and 215mm Porsche are all Forged.

Yes probably, the one I had it wasn't AA, it came in a white box with no writing at all on it, now that I see that lot of people are using them and mine being scrap already I will make some test to see material and hardness and let you know,

Friendly

Dimitrios
Eddie DVK

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 09:23:48 am »

I have a brand new original 200mm flywheel for sale :-)

Did you messure if it does not go up and down ? some do not have the center of the crank at the flywheel

Udo

I don t know never measured that,  I measured the outside diameter of the flange and that size was the same as a original type 4.
Udo you got PM
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:40:16 am by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

Eddie DVK

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 09:24:30 am »

Fit the seal to the BOTTOM of the bore, not flush with the case, if you do it will leak,  fit a new 'o'ring, ensure end float is to spec, lubricate lightly the flywheel radius and 'o' ring and fit the flywheel, my flywheel is Chinese made' European' one 200mm T4 type, its good quality and hard as it should be, i've raced it hard for years no problems.

Ok will try this. thanks

Regards Edgar

Regards Edgar

Typ3racing

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 20:57:51 pm »

Like most of the cheasp aftermarket engine parts,

those flywheels are crap.

throw it as far as you can!
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 21:17:13 pm »

DPR makes a 200mm flywheel with a german T1 core Smiley

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
Airspeed

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 13:50:39 pm »

I used this flywheel (with custom bolts) and it holded 465 hp on my old 2,2ltr type 4 turbo engine with a twin plate Tilton clutch.
Its a nice forged flywheel imo and works well if you machine and install things corrrectly (as always).

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Eddie DVK

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 09:29:29 am »

I like to thank Udo (Becker),
He always comes to the rescue (when I have some sort off trouble with my engine) with advise or parts.
 Grin Grin
Real outstanding guy.

THANKS

Regards Edgar
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:43:07 am by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: