The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 15:07:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Flooding in the UK
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Flooding in the UK  (Read 4573 times)
Pump Gas

« on: July 24, 2007, 17:01:53 pm »

We saw all the flooding happening in the UK, and we were just concerned how everyone is doing?  We hope you all are okay, and we will send sunshine thoughts your way!

Take Care,

Susy & Mike Herbert
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 04:42:55 am by Pump Gas » Logged

Real Street Cars Run On Pump Gas!
ESH

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 21:05:58 pm »

Most places are OK but a few areas are in a pretty bad way, lots of property damage but the human toll is very minimal. We dont get many 'disasters' here as the UK's generally pretty inert so I think people just get on with it on the basis that it is a pretty freak occurence and most of the damage can be fixed up. The town I work in was flooded the back end of last week but it wasn't exactly of biblical proportions though it was more difficult to get about. That said this is a country where a leaf can bring the rail network to a halt so there's not too much to be read into that!  Smiley
Pump Gas

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 22:12:17 pm »

Mat -

Thanks for letting us know, and we are glad that you are safe.

Take Care,
Susy Herbert

Real Street Cars Run On Pump Gas!
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 23:11:04 pm »

That said this is a country where a leaf can bring the rail network to a halt so there's not too much to be read into that!  Smiley

Jeez... do they also use that lame excuse in the UK... same here in Holland...  Angry

But it's good to hear you're okay...

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 01:29:40 am »

Mmh, I'm in London right now and I read all the news headlines - even at the news stands you know?
But the weather isn't too bad around here? Where are the flooding problems situated? Further up the river (west)?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
ESH

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 11:03:56 am »

... do they also use that lame excuse in the UK... same here in Holland...

Yeah, that and snow, water, mild warmth and excessive use of trains all have an effect.  Shocked

...But the weather isn't too bad around here? Where are the flooding problems situated? Further up the river (west)?

I'm just up river from you and the weather hasn't been too bad either but the potential problem is water from up stream which is flowing down from the places that have been flooded the last few days. By the time it gets down here though it won't be too bad apparently.

Smiley
Tim C

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 12:21:47 pm »

It's ok the Police are helping by showing people how to get through the flooding!

http://www.liveleak.com/player.swf?autostart=false&token=aae_1183588878

Shocked Cheesy

JG54 Greenhearts
67Screamer

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 12:30:03 pm »

Mmh, I'm in London right now and I read all the news headlines - even at the news stands you know?
But the weather isn't too bad around here? Where are the flooding problems situated? Further up the river (west)?

Gloucestershire mainly  Embarrassed
gingabloke

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 13:12:00 pm »

We have club members in Gloucestershire and they're ok-ish but haven't had mains water since Friday, ironically caused by the water treatment plant getting flooded! They nearly lost the electric for the same reason but that was averted.

Most of the trouble at the weekend was caused by short term road blockages/flooding forcing more people onto less roads but seems to be over the worst. The flooding risk has moved East to central southern England (Oxford/Reading area) but, overall, seems to be reducing.

It's only a bodge if it fails...
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 15:06:33 pm »

Smart Action Tim !

Done ? Not Yet.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 15:45:19 pm »

Haha, great clip Tim!

Today's newsheadlines read "prepare to flee!"  Shocked Roll Eyes

Diederick
 -
Proud member of: