The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:49:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Original EMPI Wheel Questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Original EMPI Wheel Questions  (Read 9360 times)
Brian Silva

« on: December 20, 2014, 03:10:49 am »

Hi Gents,

Have a set of Original BRM's and would like to find out what you guys are running for tubes (if any) or valve stems. I've heard most of the guys are running tubes for safety purposes which makes sense. Any insight is appreciated!
nlvtinman

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 06:23:04 am »

Bryan,  I remember running tubes in my set of BRM's when I had tires installed in the mid 1970's. Caldwell Tire in Pasadena mounted those.
Now, my magnesium American 5 spokes have tubes in them too. I bought the tubes from Longstone Tyre in the UK. But as I recall, they came to me out of their USA distributor in Long Beach, Ca.
With so few cars having to have tubed tires, I spent some time trying to find a place to even buy them from.  Given the porosity of BRM's, it's nearly a given that you'd want tubes.
Have a look at their website and see if they have what will help you feel safer in running those rare wheels.
Steve
Brian Silva

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 07:10:34 am »

Thanks for the insight Steve! I will give them a shot and see what I can dig up.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 20:40:41 pm »

With my 2 piece 5 spokes I like to coat the inside of wheel. Just incase any moisture gets in some how. Use'n DTM epoxy primer .

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 22:11:58 pm »

I tried it once with out tubes & ended up with 4 flat tires. When you are painting them,  make sure you paint them everywhere including the bead area like Danny was saying,  they will be easier to keep polished.  Try to find a tire shop that has been in business for a long time & they might be more familiar with tubes.  If there is no one up there you trust to mount them,  Al Reed down here has mounted mine a few times & I trust them handling them.  Be prepared for bermfinger  keeping them nice..

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Brian Silva

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 22:22:01 pm »

Thanks for the helpful tips guys. I am sending the wheels to Harvey Weidman up here in Northern California who has done BRM's as well. We are having the wheels tested for cracks as we speak and once all repairs are made, he is sending them to have a dow 7 coating applied to protect the wheel before he goes about detailing them. Which compounds have you guys found to work best for keeping them polished?
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 23:39:29 pm »

Oxygen is your enemy ! Trash bags and suck air out with pump !!

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Dave Galassi

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 00:17:41 am »

A lot of good advice here.  I would add to liberally use talc inside the tire and on the tube to allow the tube to move around and "seat" during installation and to reduce rubber to rubber friction between the tire and tube during operation. 
These old wheels don't have a safety bead, making it mandatory, in my book, to use tubes.

Brian Silva

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 00:47:11 am »

I agree Dave! I think people assume that having these older wheels restored (not tested for cracks or being true) are safe to just mount a tire up and take off down the road is a safe bet but that's when horror stories are revealed. I would absolutely not run any older mag/Alu wheel without a tube for safety sake and to help retain the integrity of the wheel. All of the tips being shared are worth their weight in gold. In my opinion, there is no better teacher than experience. Luckily, we have a ton of experience on here!
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 03:23:01 am »

When you go to put them on the car,  be sure they sit flat on the drum / hub,  some replacement drums have a higher/ bigger diameter center & this needs to be checked.  Use a torque wrench. When they are on the car in storage, cover them with plastic trash bags & be aware of the dryer if it is in the garage. Do not get them wet. Do maintence polishing when they are on the car,  you do not want them to oxidize too far,  you will regret it.  When they are stored off the car bag them & get all the air out of the bags & tie them off.  You can put bags of dessicant in with the wheels & it will help them stay nice. Don't store them directly on the concrete floor, put some wood or something else underneath them.  If you bag them well you will not have to maintain them while stored.     I know all of this sounds crazy to keep some goofy old wheels,  but if you do this they will be easier to take care of.     Hope to see them next classic    Bill

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Sarge

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 14:14:36 pm »

Though I never had a set of real BRM's, I do have a pair of magnesium Halibrand spindle mounts that are polished on both sides.  They were on
the front of our sand rail which is long gone... the wheels are still under the workbench bagged up.  I learned about mag the hard way; on my own.
I remember Deano and I trailering the car over to Ports 'O Call in Long beach for some pics.  When we got there, the wheels that looked like they'd
been chromed were dull grey from the dual exhaust of my Ford truck. Angry  Trash Bags to the rescue with old t-shirts pulled over to keep the bags in place
while towing.  I always liked Brasso (what we polished brass belt-buckles with in the Army) for polishing along with a little flour on the final wipe-down.

DKP III
johnl

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 17:56:36 pm »

As Sarge has stated I also never owned a set of real BRM wheels but did have real Americans.  Mine were never put in storage but became almost a daily ritual of cleaning.  Sometimes even more than once a day.  I used Brasso, Simichrome and like product I found across the street from the Fullerton Airport in a parts supply house for aircraft.  It was a rather large can and I don't remember the name but it was by far the best.

Back in the day black fingers was kind of a badge of honor as all in the know knew how you obtained those.  All these years later I can still feel my fingers aching from the task.  On a damp day or night you could almost sit and watch them turn from a bright clean look to a very dull grey.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 18:35:26 pm »

Note to self: Mag wheels are not for me.

Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Taylor

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 19:28:36 pm »

Wink

Note to self: If or when I get some real gas burners or berms, just let them turn black and grow moss.
richie

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 19:36:43 pm »

Wink

Note to self: If or when I get some real gas burners or berms, just let them turn black and grow moss.

Thats the way to do it, at least you can tell they are real Shocked Grin

On all the real BRMs I have put tyres on[ done quite a few now myself, better than trusting a tyre shop that only understands modern wheels] and worked with I have never put tubes in, yes they go flat quicker than an average tyre but never been a problem

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 07:30:40 am »

Never had a problem with my BRMS going flat without tubes. My tires have always sealed properly around the bead of the tire. I suppose if the wheels are slightly bent or nicked it would be a problem. I've also treated them with cosmoline when in storage.

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
TyeDyeBug

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 07:56:24 am »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1071377
I just run them dark With tubes, and put a treatment on them aswell
Dave Galassi

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 06:18:03 am »

Last thoughts on the subject...............

In addition to Al Reed, Tucker Tire in Covina is well versed in mounting tires and tubes on old mags.  They've done it for racers since the original Irwindale was around.  Tom Tucker raced there as a kid.

Finally, drive on 'em.
empi67rag

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 14:21:27 pm »

Can I ask why it is safer to run them with inner tubes?

And what is the torque "value" for fastening them. I use studs and orginal porsche nuts.

Thanks!!

SlingShot

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 05:30:58 am »

Can I ask why it is safer to run them with inner tubes?

And what is the torque "value" for fastening them. I use studs and orginal porsche nuts.

Thanks!!

It's safer because original BRM's do not have a Safety Bead built into the design of the wheel.  The safety bead feature allows the bead of the tyre to be captured on the inner lip of the wheel. A tube in an original BRM will help prevent the tyre bead from being unseated.  You guys rocking OG BRM's without tubes are brave... must not hit many pot holes.

I torque my lugs to 100 ft lbs.

Will Race For Beer !!!
Mags

2,2L 577Hk.

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 06:02:40 am »

Slingshot you stil make Brm insert?
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 15:08:07 pm »

Best to email or pm him Mags.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: