The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 15:34:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  RIP VW Gasser Garage January 2006- January 2015
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: RIP VW Gasser Garage January 2006- January 2015  (Read 39736 times)
Russell

« on: January 29, 2015, 01:18:41 am »

As it says, I have decided to end the VW Gasser Garage thing, we have loved bringing back the old gassers to the track, where we have restored, reincarnated and raced some of the most iconic cars from the golden days of our hobby, however all good thinks must come to an end and we feel that these cars should now be given a rest. Unfortunately we have no plans to take them out anytime soon, if anyone is interested in any of them let me know as I would consider selling a few so that that they can continue to be seen, enjoyed and hopefully raced.

I want to extend a very special thanks to all those who have contributed from the very first European Bug In until the UK Cal Look Drag day last year where Tar Babe returned its fastest ever quarter mile time in its history, for the help, advice, parts, bodywork, Paint, Signwriting, Trimming, Engines, transport, time and above all friendship.

I have made many new friends and met some wonderful people and have been exposed to an area of the scene I once only dreamed off, for that I am eternally gratefully.

I have raced and shown these cars in various places including Scotland, Belgium, England, Norway, Germany and in the USA. Tar babe came from Mexico to Houston to Aberdeen to Essex to Aberdeen to Orange County, CA, USA to Chimay, Belgium to Esher, London to Aberdeen and then Shakespear country raceway. The Inch Pincher replica is currently with Darrell Vittone in Oregon where last year it was drag raced and salt flat raced.

Tar Babe and Underdog 2 were the first VW's ever to be displayed in the NHRA Wally Parks Museum which was followed the 2 years after with Lightening Bug 1, a true honour.

VW Gasser Garage role of stars:

Race Shop Ghia "Wunderbug2", Der Express, Sumfun, Radical Rod, Iguana, Flakey Jake (ex White Lightening) Underdog 1, Underdog 2, Tar Babe, Inch Pincher (ex EBI Yellow Racer), Lightening Bug 1, Lee Leighton's Red Bug, Italy 1, Bear Berilloux 1st and 2nd  gassers, Stutt Bee, Race Shop Fiat and Race Shop Bus, Dave Andrews Blue 67, Erics Save-a-Bug B modified compact record holder, Lil Snort, Blue Obsession, Holey Molly, Frog Guts.

VW Gasser Garage would not have been possible without the following VIPs;
Richie Webb, Dale Clark, Kev Dawson, Wray Morrison, Jo Clifford, Larry McKenzie, Ray Schubert, Gunter Hoffman (CSP), Simon and Shane (Paintbox), Neil Melliard (Prosign), Bernie Newbury, Pete at Cogbox and me !

A special thanks to the following for supporting or encouraging me....
Keith Seume, Dave Rhoads, Dean Kirsten, Paul and Mark Schley, Ron Fleming, Darrel Vittone, Dyno Don, John Preston, Lee Leighton, The EBI boys (Kobus/Freddie/Mike), and every one else who has lent a hand whether practically or verbally, its all been appreciated.

The future..... I'm thinking VW Vintage Garage, see you at Bad Camberg.......

Thanks Russell

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:13:56 am by Russell » Logged

Best Regards

Russell
Bryan67

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 02:03:09 am »

Well let me thank you for all you have done for the hobby. Thanks to you I got to see my all time favorite in person (Tar babe). Don`t stray too far from the scene. It`s always a good time seeing what you are up to.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
mg

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 03:12:01 am »

crowd pleasers, glws.
any street cars?
deano

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 05:43:51 am »

Russell, I hope people realize just how much this means to a lot of us, who grew up around these famous gasser. Most of us figured, they were dead and buried and those days were gone for good. But seeing them at Chimay, back in their full glory, and with THE guys behind the wheels made it all come back to life. I can tell you that just about all of us "old farts" shed a few tears seeing those cars once again. I recall Ron Fleming telling Keith Seume after they had just ran together at Chimay, with tears in his eyes, "I haven't felt like this in years." Hugs all around. Seeing the Schley brothers with tears running down their cheeks when you debuted the reconstructed Lightning Bug 1, was an emotional moment. Tar Babe does it for me. Riding with Ron Fleming back from the big end at Chimay, after shooting the photos for Hot VWs, going through the gears, was worth the ten hour flight from LAX. There has been some fantastic moments at EBI and perhaps, they will happen again with these famous cars. Thanks for the memories. deano

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
stretch

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:10:04 am »

That's a shame Russell.  Good luck with the next venture.   Smiley
vwcab

peter

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:15:51 am »

It is sad to hear thie VWGG is coming to an end.
For me it was FANTASTIC to see this legandary cars for real (cars
I knew from pictures in Hot VWs and VW Trends)
All I can say is a big THANK YOU Russell for what you have done.
And good luck with the vintage stuff. ;-)

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
autohausdolby

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 09:59:23 am »

I'd lay a pretty safe bet that most private collections are hidden away where people can't see them except by invitation - I was gutted I didn't get a chance to run against Tar Babe at Cal Look Drag Day, but it was still magical to see Bernie do it from the fire up lane.

I doff my imaginary cap to you for doing it in the first place Smiley
El Dub

Nostalgia VW addicted!

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 10:10:51 am »

Very very very sad...

Definitely hoping to be able to see all those gassers from time time...

Let´s just hope it doesn't means the end of the interest kn the early VW racing days, as so much things still need to be discovered and exposed...

Let's see you in Camberg Russell!

And my deepest THANKS for the past 10 years nostalgia scene (I speak of guys, not only cars here...)

RobtheManx

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 10:20:55 am »

Russell , thank you for all you've done . I always thought the best thing about Gasser Garage wast that it seemed you were doing it all for everyone else's benefit , not your own .

Thank you also for slicks donated , and tools loaned at EBI . Oh and letting me drive Dave's car !

I'll meet you out at Camberg in my Oval !

Cheers , Rob

SPG Roller Cranks rarely live long!
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 10:21:47 am »

Thanks for all your efforts, Russell! It's been a blast and a true privilege for me to be allowed to drive (race!) some of these legendary cars. Have fun in the slow lane!  Wink

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
henk

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 10:30:19 am »

it is a shame,was always one off the highlights at EBI to see what you had on your trailer this time.

henk!!!
El Dub

Nostalgia VW addicted!

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 10:30:40 am »

Keith, some of those gassers (at least one of them) needs to end its life under your ownership... I mean, the Wunderbug II is not another gasser... This is THE car... Your car... I wish it is mine ;-)

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 10:34:19 am »

Russell

I read everybody's  replies and i can honestly say that attending EB1, getting to hang around with the cars, all the old guys, was the shot in the arm I needed.  People talk about getting bored of the VW scene.  You breathed new life into it.  I am so glad you came along when you did.

Now its time to start driving the Schwimmwagen in the loch of Skene.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 10:37:28 am »

Keith, some of those gassers (at least one of them) needs to end its life under your ownership... I mean, the Wunderbug II is not another gasser... This is THE car... Your car... I wish it is mine ;-)
Well, send me the money and I'll see what we can do!  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
El Dub

Nostalgia VW addicted!

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 10:51:52 am »

I would buy it on my own if I had the money ;-)

Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 11:09:24 am »

Great shame but good luck for the future

I hope a few get bought by others  and raced sometime soon

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
richie

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 11:12:51 am »

It has been a lot of fun, a lot of hard work and more than a few crazy moments Shocked  Hopefully some of them will get sold and be shown/used/abused by their new owners in the future Cool

Here's to the next chapter of "The toybox" and whatever that brings to the VW scene Wink Grin Whatever that is I know it wont be dull Cheesy

cheers Richie

VW Gasser garage, a few friends created history  Cool  
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:40:05 am by richie » Logged

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Georg/DFL

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 11:16:36 am »

Thank you very much Russell for bringing all these old cars back to live and also for the recreation of some. The moment when you arrived with your truck at Chimay or Bitburg was always priceless!

The good thing is: I know that the VW scene is neither loosing the cars nor you! See you at the Volksworld Show!

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 11:24:35 am »

Thanks for the last nine years, Gasser Garage kept the world VW economy buoyant and entertained for nearly a decade.

It was always a jaw dropping moment when the transporter turned up at an event fully laden with Hot VW's finest from the past 40 years.

I'll never forget the pairing of Tar Babe V Stitch Up at DDD10, Bernie won but nobody sees what happens at the top end anyway!

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
carlo

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 11:26:12 am »

It was nice to see all these nostalgia gasser at EBI...
...we hope to see again.

thehanz DVK

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 11:42:14 am »

Russel thank you big time for all the beauty you have done....
EBI won't be the same without you , but we will do our best  Wink

67 bug ragtop 091 berg 5. 2276cc 48 Ida
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 12:06:55 pm »

Russell, I want to thank you for sparking so many peoples imagination over the past few years, and bringing to life so many of the things that I have spent the past twenty years reading and fantasising about. I'd also like to thank you for your support with Cal Look Drag Day - it's a shame we couldn't make happen what we hoped this year (although there's always next year!), but I hope to see you at the track again, with a car or not - there's always a cold beer waiting for you. EBI has been my best memory of racing my own car, and is the main reason I still have the old jalopy rather than giving in and selling it when times have been hard.

You've brought so much to the scene - THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 12:08:31 pm »

ps...

Look forward to your next endeavours, I'm sure with the same dedication and attention to detail we will all be blown away once again!

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 12:10:31 pm »

Undecided not sure what to say........

You either "Get It" or you don't......
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 12:19:10 pm »

All good things must come to an end.

A big thank you to everyone involved and especially to you Russel. I really miss your build threads, stories, pictures and opinions.

Best rgs
Kalle

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Jesse Wens

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 12:46:13 pm »

I don't only hope the cars will find good carekeepers but I hope they will keep coming together to play.

Thanks for the good memories GGteam

thinking out of the box will get you to go faster cheaper in the long run, time is on my side
alstare84

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 13:56:32 pm »

Really a sad day for Cal Look.
But was a great pleasure enjoy all of them together @Ebi also for the new generations like me.

I want to say a big thanks for your efforts making this possible and a really good luck for selling and new project/s.

Roberto (Italy)

"Straights are for Fast Cars... Corners are for Fast Drivers!"

'60 Ragtop L436 Indigo Blue
'65 Sedan L87 Pearl Weiss
Wray

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 14:28:12 pm »

you know the old saying...

The King is Dead Long Live the King

So who's going to take up the challenge of keeping them alive.

I believe most of them are available for buying so theirs no reason to not keep them in the public eye.

PS we had lots of fun doing it and lots of stress with transporters cheers Russell privileged to have been part of it.

Wray
Jeff68

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 14:32:46 pm »

All I can say is a huge thanks to Russell and all that helped, contributed, and encouraged to bring all of these cars back as well as the people who made the special events where these cars appeared happen! I wasn't able to attend any of the events but was thrilled to see it all unfold in the magazines and here on the forum. Seeing all of these cars revived brought me right back to when I first read the "How to Hotrod VW engines" book. Many of the cars and people who drove and built them were involved once again and it was fantastic to say the least! Bringing these cars back has inspired others to bring back other gassers and build "new" ones. I hope to be able to see some of these cars in person someday!  These cars were the development bed for many of the parts we use today to make our VW's fast and are part of the Cal-look "formula". Thanks so much Russell and Gasser Garage! I will remember these cars every time I fire up the 2 liter in my Beetle!
Good-Old-Ragtop60

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 15:04:28 pm »

That`s sad!
But thank you so much for what you`ve done!

To me the VW Gasser theme is a great part of the whole beetle history. And it is awesome that you and so many other People preserved this history.
That´s the Chance for younger People like me to learn and may understand racing V-Dubs back in the days. 

(hope my english is not to bad)  Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: