The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 19:57:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350866 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Wood steering wheel restoration
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wood steering wheel restoration  (Read 7178 times)
Straight Time

« on: June 03, 2015, 20:52:11 pm »

Hi,

Looking at restoring my speedwell steering wheel . Has a few battlescars and cracks. Splits near the spokes. Have had advice to inject glue into the cracks and clamp down till dry. Then use wood filler before stain and varnish. 

But first,  how best to remove the existing varnish . Would rather not use chemicals if I can.

Any advice welcome.

No retreat, No surrender !
restojohnny

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 21:49:59 pm »

I use gorilla wood glue and clamp it down then sand with 220 to take off the peeling varnish on it then do the stain and polyurethane.

Magnesium BRM hoarding bastard !!!

**SURE I'LL SELL IT TO YOU : ) **

EMPI KICK'S ASS EMPI KICK'S ASS
O.G. POMONA VULTURE
$$ SWAPMEET MAFIA $
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
67 original convertible GTV 
67 euro squareback
Straight Time

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 00:08:24 am »

Thanks for reply.  220 it is then. Though the varnish / polyurethane is pretty thick. Here's to sore fingers  Roll Eyes .

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 03:19:07 am »

Save the wood powder from sanding and mix with clear glue for filling any cracks

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
vwhelmot

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 08:53:58 am »

I used nitromors to strip the varnish off my flat 4 wheel. No problems.
Straight Time

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 14:15:14 pm »

Thought about that but thought it maybe too harsh. Doing a bit more research some guy's recommended using new sharp Stanley knife blades at a right angle to scrape back to wood.

vwhelmot

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 16:24:00 pm »

You wont damage the wood with stripper.  Slap it on!
restojohnny

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 16:49:00 pm »

the wood on the speedwell wheel is old and will have areas where the stripper will get into (crack's etc..) and will be very hard to get out and when you apply the polyurethane to it the stripper in the wood that did not get removed will bubble the urethane. Much safer on an old wheel to sand in my opinion. The wood on a flat 4 wheel is compressed more than the wood back in the day especially on a speedwell wheel from experience the wood on those old wheels seem softer and absorb ALOT more chemicals than the new wood steering wheels.

Magnesium BRM hoarding bastard !!!

**SURE I'LL SELL IT TO YOU : ) **

EMPI KICK'S ASS EMPI KICK'S ASS
O.G. POMONA VULTURE
$$ SWAPMEET MAFIA $
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
67 original convertible GTV 
67 euro squareback
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 22:58:47 pm »

So, the wheel I have might be an older one . . . the varnish is all but gone . . . that left the wood exposed and it is now dirty and stained . . . even where it split.
I am considering giving it a bath in oxalic acid with this stuff http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/waterproofing-products/cleaners/3-in-1-wood-cleaner
YES or NO?

Jesucristo es mi Señor y Salvador!
Straight Time

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 19:24:14 pm »

restojohnny,  great advice,  thank you!

gibber!

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 01:51:44 am »

I've never restored a wooden steering wheel, but when I repaired some damage to my (expensive) wooden workshop doors I mixed the saw dust from the same wood with the varnish I was gonna use on the doors. My thinking behind this was that if I used wood glue to bind the the saw dust as filler the varnish wouldn't soak into the repaired area the same as it would the rest of the door.
I was very pleased with the result, maybe it's worth a trial run to see if it makes a difference for you.

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
lawrence

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 06:05:39 am »

My thinking behind this was that if I used wood glue to bind the the saw dust as filler the varnish wouldn't soak into the repaired area the same as it would the rest of the door.

Absolutely true. This happened to a table that I built from scratch.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Straight Time

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 19:12:38 pm »

Gibber!, did you only use this mixture ( varnish and wood dust) on the areas that were damaged ?

Also, going to use marine varnish.  Any advice on what to use to sand between coats?  Someone suggested very fine wire wool, but would this not leave residue of wool behind?

Also trying to decide on a wood stain colour. As always,  advice welcome

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 20:17:49 pm »

When refinishing wood ! After all sanding is done , Blow out all the grain for any saw dust , wipe down with damp cloth and let dry , Then seal up wood with sanding sealer -Helps seal up the grain and air pockets . Like label said , sanding sealer ! sand with 220 and get semi flat from sanding . Then recoat with sanding sealer and sand with 320 . Now you have a good base to topcoat . I would use some kind of automotive clear to spray .

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Straight Time

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 22:57:45 pm »

Thanks Danny  Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: