The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 09, 2024, 23:23:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350905 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Rebuilding a Zenith NDIX
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rebuilding a Zenith NDIX  (Read 3290 times)
alex d

« on: October 16, 2015, 10:36:29 am »

where are you guys getting your rebuild kits? I see there's lots of different kits, some with the acceleration pump thingy, some without, I can't seem to find one that has everything

any pointers before I start breaking things? I have three carbs so I should have enough parts to make a good one  Grin
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 02:15:52 am »

I'm not sure which kit to get, but do not get the one from Royze. Cheap garbage. I recommend 356 Carburetor Rescue for parts, etc.

What engine is the Zenith going on?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
glenn

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 02:25:12 am »

Talk to the guys at Blackline Racing (Formally Art Thraen's ACE). They are into vintage performance and Dave is still there working on carbs.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 02:28:42 am by glenn » Logged

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
johnl

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 05:12:47 am »

I'm not sure which kit to get, but do not get the one from Royze. Cheap garbage. I recommend 356 Carburetor Rescue for parts, etc. No

As a general rule I wouldn't reply but in this case I feel I must.  ROYZE is a company that is in it's 63rd year of operation and it all started with carb kits for the Foreign Car Market.  Yes, we were probably doing it before EMPI came into existence but that is beside the point.

Over the years we've always tried to maintain quality above all and it must be working as we continue to prosper in the ever declining carb market.  Many of our long time customers (I don't need to name them) purchase thousands of kits annually and although once in a while there is an issue it is rather uncommon.  If we offered "Cheap garbage" we would have closed our doors years ago but that simply isn't the case.  Some years ago one of our larger customers decided to purchase one kit of each and knock them off in China.  Sales went down because many of our customers were driven by price.  As time went on most returned for quality and remain with us today.

You may ask how I can comment on this so here is the answer.  I've sold Royze Carb Kits for 44 years and used them prior to that.  In my Auto Haus years we sold their product exclusively and had no issues.  I can't tell you how many 32 NDIX Zentih kits I personally sold but over ten years at AH, well you get the idea.  In February of 1986 I came to work at Royze as the Assistant General Manger.  Fifteen years later I became the CEO/owner of Royze and remain in that position today.

The sad part of this is that was it necessary to bash a company rather than just saying I recommend "insert name here"?  Always remember before you push the send button what you say is pretty much in print forever.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Sarge

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 14:43:51 pm »

Alex, a few things to remember... Zenith carbs were originally meant for a Porsche 356.  Somewhere along the line, some jetting and parts changes were made
that allowed the carb to be used successfully on a VW.  These "modified" carbs were sold through Auto Haus and many others. They featured a slightly different
accelerator pump, emulsion tubes, venturies and linkage among other things.  The "modified" carbs seemed to work best on a plenum style manifold though isolated
manifolds were used as well.  I can't remember ever seeing a carb kit that contained the correct accelerator pump for a "modified" carb.  You can tell what you have
by removing an air correction jet and checking the number on the emulsion tube... it should read K4; not S1 (Porsche 356).  Good luck!

DKP III
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 14:49:12 pm »

I'm not sure which kit to get, but do not get the one from Royze. Cheap garbage. I recommend 356 Carburetor Rescue for parts, etc. No

As a general rule I wouldn't reply but in this case I feel I must.  ROYZE is a company that is in it's 63rd year of operation and it all started with carb kits for the Foreign Car Market.  Yes, we were probably doing it before EMPI came into existence but that is beside the point.

Over the years we've always tried to maintain quality above all and it must be working as we continue to prosper in the ever declining carb market.  Many of our long time customers (I don't need to name them) purchase thousands of kits annually and although once in a while there is an issue it is rather uncommon.  If we offered "Cheap garbage" we would have closed our doors years ago but that simply isn't the case.  Some years ago one of our larger customers decided to purchase one kit of each and knock them off in China.  Sales went down because many of our customers were driven by price.  As time went on most returned for quality and remain with us today.

You may ask how I can comment on this so here is the answer.  I've sold Royze Carb Kits for 44 years and used them prior to that.  In my Auto Haus years we sold their product exclusively and had no issues.  I can't tell you how many 32 NDIX Zentih kits I personally sold but over ten years at AH, well you get the idea.  In February of 1986 I came to work at Royze as the Assistant General Manger.  Fifteen years later I became the CEO/owner of Royze and remain in that position today.

The sad part of this is that was it necessary to bash a company rather than just saying I recommend "insert name here"?  Always remember before you push the send button what you say is pretty much in print forever.

Smiley
As I read your age to be 34 I can tell you I've been selling these 10 years longer than you've been alive and were around them several years before that.  Anyone is certainly entitled to an opinion but I might suggest that it would have been better that you offered your personal recommendation for a service/product and let it go at that.  Unfortunately for Royze/me you have done potential damage that was totally unnecessary.  I would hope in the future you think a bit more about what you put into print.

John, instead of insulting my intelligence based on my age, why not contact 356 Carb Rescue and ask them what problems they (and I) have encountered with your product and see what you can do to make it better.

I stand by my experience, and your poorly thought out reply has only strengthened my resolve.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: