The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 14:06:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Guess the weight ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Guess the weight ...  (Read 4105 times)
StewRat

« on: August 05, 2016, 23:10:29 pm »

No, not a summer fair competition, but a bit of help in getting me to the races.

I've spotted a potential trailer, and looking into that, towing, winches etc I realise it would be useful to know roughly what the weight of my car is.
I'm not going to have a chance to have it weighed before I need to commit to some of this stuff so it would be interesting to get a couple of informed guesses as to an approximate weight.
Wikipedia sez original weight would be 800-840Kg, so ...

(I think) '71 bug
Stripped out interior
One kirkey seat, cage, wheel, electric panel and dashpanel about all in the cabin
Lexan front side windows
Cookie cutter wheels
Std fuel tank
2276 engine with dual carbs
No tin
Rear end stripped out and panelled with no inner wings

It feels like a lot of weight would have been removed in stripping out interior and other metalwork, but the cage will have added a chunk back in. Indeed, everything seems to weigh a ton as I add it back in - most recently battery, wiring and today's weight shock when the safety harness arrived.

Best guess at likely weight?

Thanks

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

The Stew Rat build thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,25365.0.html
leec

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 23:21:31 pm »

670kg. You could get lighter by going to a lightweight race battery
StewRat

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 09:02:50 am »

Thank you.

I'm quite keen to look at all the weight saving options, but do have to keep reminding myself that the biggest potential improvement is round my middle, and it seems wrong to be honeycombing parts of the car until I address that Smiley

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

The Stew Rat build thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,25365.0.html
Neil Davies

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 20:31:39 pm »

Stew, the new front end was repro, as were the wings, so they'll be lighter too. There's a decent chunk of cage in there so I reckon you'll be at about 720kg. The shell is a 1200 so small headliner and no crescent vents.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
StewRat

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 13:43:59 pm »

My personal and very uninformed guess was c700 so not so far off.

Original question was based on possible buy of a nice length (shortish) trailer but that fell through.

Have now bought a bigger trailer. Towbar fitted this week. First outing at "Action" still suspect. Swings and roundabouts. Swamped at work this week+ so litte progress, then yesterday got wiring complete and completed full turning engine with valve geometry to be set.

Today, engine installed, then family emergency had taken me out of pocket. Away with work Mon/Tues. 

So near yet so far ....

Have never towed anything in my life. As if building an engine, auto electrics 101 etc werent enough Smiley

Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 21:13:01 pm »

Towing isn't too bad. Speak to a friendly caravan owner and borrow a nose weight gauge. Set the car on the trailer until you're happy when the gauge says the recommended reading. I always towed my car with the engine at the back but so many people told me I'd got it wrong. Set with the gauge and it was perfect. Had the header flange level with the back of the trailer so I know it was right every time. Allow a good half a day to play with trailer set up, with ratchet straps layout and so on.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 12:42:39 pm »

I put a set of bathroom scales under the jockey wheel (this would be AFTER it's on the trailer!  Cheesy ) and just roll the car/bike/elephant/whatever back and forth a bit until the tongue weight is 5-10% of total.
Done.

Eg: drag Beetle at 600kg, 100kg of tools, light flat basic trailer 300kg, I'd use 80kg on the tongue.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: