The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 00:52:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Main bearing and crank compatibility
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Main bearing and crank compatibility  (Read 6156 times)
baz

« on: August 20, 2016, 08:40:03 am »

Hi all,  hoping to get some good advice on my crank and main bearings. I have this DPR 82mm crank

You can see the oil passages in the crank don't have a wide trough around the passageways, I've read elsewhere that you need internal grooved bearings for this type of crank.

The bearings I have are externally grooved NOS KS,  can I use these?  Is there any benefit in having the crank or bearings modified with a groove on the journals or inside the bearings.?

Really would appreciate some help with this as I've been ignoring my engine build for the past few months due to uncertainty over this, and I'd really like to get my finger out now and get back on it.

Thanks

I will prevail.
baz

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 09:49:41 am »

Ok I've found some interesting reading on this topic and I have decided to have my bearings modified with a small groove on the inside.

Now I need to know who can do this work for me in the UK ?  Anyone got any ideas? 

I will prevail.
leec

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 12:05:06 pm »

Have you spoke to DPR directly, I have always had a quick response via email from them
Lee
baz

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 12:31:57 pm »

Have you spoke to DPR directly, I have always had a quick response via email from them
Lee

Hi Lee, yes emailed jose and just got a 'use silverline ' response.

Spoke to jim at stateside and he thinks it unnecessary to mod the crank or bearings.

From reading a lot this morning I'm of the mind it certainly wouldn't harm anything either and any way to increase oil flow has to be good.

I will prevail.
brian e

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 22:59:47 pm »

Here are a couple topics from the other site.  Read the ones posted by SRP1.  He does a bunch of baja 1000 engines, and has the oiling topic figured out. 
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=542619&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=internal+groove+bearings&start=0
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570244&highlight=internal+groove+bearings
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=499960&highlight=internal+groove+bearings

Your crank needs the internal groove bearings.  If you were here in the US, I could chuck them up and add the groove for you.  I do it on most all my engines. 

Brian
richie

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 11:32:46 am »

Hi all,  hoping to get some good advice on my crank and main bearings. I have this DPR 82mm crank

Thanks

Hi Lee, yes emailed jose and just got a 'use silverline ' response.

Spoke to jim at stateside and he thinks it unnecessary to mod the crank or bearings.

From reading a lot this morning I'm of the mind it certainly wouldn't harm anything either and any way to increase oil flow has to be good.

Baz

unless I missed something, you asked the crank manufacturer? and then Jim@stateside?  and they gave you the same answer right?  now you want the "experts of the internet" to give you a different answer?  Sorry but I don't understand why  Huh 

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
baz

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 11:55:39 am »

Thanks Brian I found those posts from srp1on sunday and what he does with the bearings makes sense to me.

Richie I hear you but just because something may be unnecessary for the engine to live isn't the same as saying it would not be beneficial to the life of the engine and bearings in particular.

I'm sure there's a tonne of unnecessary work gone into your engines Wink

I'm just trying to do my best with this, after watching it seize up on the dyno earlier this year and going through the expense and trouble of building an engine twice without even getting to drive the thing, then you can maybe forgive me if I am overly anal with my approach to building it. I don't need it built anytime soon so I can afford to take my sweet time getting the finer details right.

Ps you got a lathe ritchie?  Wink
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 14:21:15 pm by baz » Logged

I will prevail.
richie

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 17:28:23 pm »

Nah I am to lazy Wink 

Personally I wouldn't be modifying the bearing, if it needs a internal groove then I would find bearings to suit it

cheers Richie

baz

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 19:33:43 pm »

Nah I am to lazy Wink 

Personally I wouldn't be modifying the bearing, if it needs a internal groove then I would find bearings to suit it

cheers Richie

Why's that Richie?  Think the bearings would suffer damage during the cutting or think the bearing would be too thin afterwards?

Finding internal grooved metal backed correct size bearings has me stumpted.

I will prevail.
richie

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 09:26:50 am »

Yes I would be worried about strength of bearing, until I see one in real life that's actually cut/modified I can't say for sure though

baz

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 10:13:11 am »

Yes I would be worried about strength of bearing, until I see one in real life that's actually cut/modified I can't say for sure though

I have some old bearings that I'll have cut first for a sample of the finished article.

I will prevail.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: