The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 05:46:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  anybody done this before ? latter floorpan on early shell
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: anybody done this before ? latter floorpan on early shell  (Read 3229 times)
Russell

« on: October 08, 2007, 13:49:33 pm »

Guys

i have two cars that i want to replace the floorpans with, i have 2 new vw ones but they are mexican and are for latter cars, other that the front beam tube height, what else will i have a problem with....... beam width ? Gear box nose cone ? Drive Shaft/torsin tube length ? seat runners ?

any advise would be appreaciated as i want to have the all the bits before i start, the intention is to tranfer everything accross that i can giving me a new rust free pan with the old car on top

Best Regards

Russell
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 14:14:17 pm »

Hi Russell on a Later Pan A few of the bolt holes are Differnt First it depends on the year of the body on 60 an older bodys they have (4) 10mm bolts under the seat which the later ones only use  (2) and on the Early Body The Body Mount in the Rear Wheelwell where it bolts to the torsion housing needs to be shortened to allow the body to sit all the way down on the pan in the rear some of the later pans Have Different Seat Rails Also I am not sure what Mexican Pan's have for seat rails

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 14:17:01 pm »

Lifted from work flyer

CHASSIS MODIFICATIONS FOR EARLIER MODEL CARS
 PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING BEFORE COMMENCING WORK.  The chassis you have bought is designed for the current Mexican Beetle.

PEDALS & MASTER CYLINDER

CHASSIS IS LHD.  MODIFICATIONS ARE NEEDED TO MOUNT PEDALS AND MASTER CYLINDER IF RHD REQUIRED

GEARBOX MOUNT

FRONT MOUNT IS EARLY STYLE (1961 – 1972).  FOR LATER CARS WELD IN ORIGINAL MOUNT FROM OLD CHASSIS, OR USE EARLY STYLE GEARBOX NOSE CONE. 
REAR SEAT HEATERS.

THERE ARE NO TUBES IN CENTRAL SPINE FOR HEATER CABLES TO REAR SEAT FLAPS.  MODIFY OR OMIT.

FUEL INJECTION MOUNTS.ETC

REMOVE EXTRA BRACKETS, BLOCK OFF ADDITIONAL PIPES. 
SEAT MOUNTS

MOUNTS ARE FOR MEXICAN (GOLF STYLE) SEATS - EITHER CHANGE SEATS/SEAT BASES TO SAME STYLE, OR FOR 72 ON BEETLE INCORPORATE YOUR SEAT MOUNTS/RUNNERS, OR FOR UP TO 72 BEETLE MODIFY YOUR SEAT BASE FRAMES TO SUIT.

GEAR SELECTOR SHAFT
 THIS WILL NEED TO BE FROM A '68-'72 VEHICLE

REAR CHASSIS MOUNTS.

ON EARLY VEHICLES THE HEIGHT OF THE EXISTING WELDED ON MOUNTS (IN BODYSHELL INNER REAR ARCHES) MAY NEED TO BE ADJUSTED TO MATCH THE CAST CHASSIS LEGS
 Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Felix/DFL

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 15:39:39 pm »

Hi,

beware of the maxican panels if you want to go with more power...
The strenghting of the rearaxletube is much thinner !

Best Greetings,

Felix
Russell

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 20:17:36 pm »

btt

Best Regards

Russell
Bruce

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 20:14:45 pm »

GEAR SELECTOR SHAFT
 THIS WILL NEED TO BE FROM A '68-'72 VEHICLE
This is not correct.  The Mexican chassis requires you to use the shift rod from a 73 or later car.
You will also need to use later E-brake cables since the E-brake was also moved back in 73.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 20:16:59 pm by Bruce » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: