The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 16:46:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350676 Posts in 28571 Topics by 6818 Members
Latest Member: Mk-Zero
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Who's running SCAT DW-2...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Who's running SCAT DW-2...  (Read 3415 times)
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« on: June 24, 2018, 19:14:47 pm »

...and ran into this issue too?

Some time ago I switched some parts on my 1915. Going to a bell crank linkage the old reversed Empi manifolds didn't line up as the RH rod hit the generator. So I found and installed some DW-2 intakes knowing the ports were more conservative than my heads. Back then I was most concerned with getting the car back on the road.

But now got back to it, and when I lined up my template gasket I noticed the ports are larger than the intakes can house - by the looks of it:

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

What are the opinions on this? Does this mean I need to switch manifolds again going to a big beef e.g. or have the intakes welded? There's definitely a few ponies to be gained here therefore I don't feel like neglecting the match porting process entirely and run them as is.

So what I mean with the subject line is are DW-2 intakes only suited for mild porting?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 19:45:49 pm by Diederick/DVK » Logged

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
leec

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 19:38:17 pm »

Unless its the angle of the picture, there is quite a bit of weld required at the bottom of the inlet (where the nut would go)

If you know a tig welder, it may be worth a go

Lee
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 09:14:27 am »

Hi Lee,

For some reason the initial post showed the photo rotated but I corrected that. So it's not the angle.
Welding is a serious option but I think they're cast. Can they be welded then?

But I was also wondering if there are any other loungers that have these intakes.
They don't look smaller in width than say a Big Beef so I can't be the only one?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
leec

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 14:17:02 pm »

I got a set of race trim manifolds welded for Ron on here, I would imagine all manifolds are cast?

It's all doable, but if you are paying someone to weld them it will soon get expensive, but looking at the picture at the other way round you may only need to weld a inch or so up from the mounting flange

Lee
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 14:19:05 pm by leec » Logged
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 12:00:04 pm »

Cool. Do you have a photo of those intakes? Smiley
I agree that they'd only have to get welded an inch up. What's the safe margin for the manifold thickness? Then I can take some measurements from that. It'll mostly like be welding enough whilst keeping space for the nuts to go on.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
alex d

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 08:24:07 am »

did you feel a power decrease when you switched to these manifolds? just wondering
leec

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 13:07:46 pm »

This is all I have picture wise

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Minimum thickness, I am not too sure on to be honest.

Lee
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 10:06:00 am »

did you feel a power decrease when you switched to these manifolds? just wondering

hard to tell. now it has been tuned on the dyno. before that the jetting was completely off.
so it runs a ton better now but non matching manifolds can't be good for the velocity of the intake mixture.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 10:21:46 am »

hard to tell. now it has been tuned on the dyno. before that the jetting was completely off.
so it runs a ton better now but non matching manifolds can't be good for the velocity of the intake mixture.

i actually can be. like you say a venuturi effect may occur. what is more then likely and happens a lot more then what we want to admit is 'bigger isn't better'  Roll Eyes
it's what you do with it that counts  Grin and we are not in the 8000+ rpm zone.

even better still would be a smooth top to bottom intake in the right size.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: