The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 11:43:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The most interesting Cal-look years.....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The most interesting Cal-look years.....  (Read 3788 times)
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« on: November 07, 2007, 19:55:18 pm »

I think we all have been in to the hobyy for a span of time....but some have had a very long span and some very short.........some part of life is darken by respocibillitys and some are free as birds.........but standing right where we are now and looking back: what was the most intense years when it comes to Cal-lookers being part of and affecting development of the car hobby. I love the 79-82 era when street racing and v-dubs pecking on V8's and hanging with friends in parking lots was at its peek and the youth culture on the street was about being happy and had diversity as a mark.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 22:37:12 pm »

I would hazard to say now. It is so easy to build a clean looking, fast VW these days for not a lot of money. (Relatively speaking.) Plus there are a lot more to choose from. And, as this forum has demonstrated, what was mostly a west coast phenomenon is now world wide.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 03:54:05 am »

All true, all true.  HOWEVER!  I think being young, living in Orange County way back when there was still al ittle room (episode of CHiPs), and having a hot cal-looker as your only wheels would be pretty darn interesting.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 08:15:30 am »

For me it was the 80's as then i began fooling around with the look and the car,but i also like the late 70's callookers Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
nicolas

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 08:25:12 am »

now! (with the late 70's and early 80's as a close second)

never had so many callookers, it has gone worldwide, all with advantages and disadvnatages, but that is allways the case. i like what i see on this site and magazines today.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 17:21:26 pm »

now. And 1965-1975

wolfswest

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 20:13:11 pm »

I'm only 26 years old so I can't realy talk about the good ol' days but I think that right NOW it's not that bad!!

Right now and right here we have cal look fans worldwide, we have members that actually were heroes back in the 70ies, 80ies and 90ies.  They entertain us with all the good old stories and tell them so that you can really imagine yourself driving your car back in the 70-ies in orange county.  And last but not least, we are here and making new cal look history!  The new 00' cal look breeze...

Imagine

Imagine there isn't no hoodride
It isn't hard to do
only IDA's to kill or die for
And no sidetrim too
Imagine all the people
Cal look vw's in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Grin  Wink

Dem
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:10:10 am by wolfswest » Logged

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 22:07:21 pm »

/\ /\ Too cool!  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 13:06:47 pm »

I like the John Lennon tribute, cool!! But, we as a comunity have now lists of who runs fastest and magazines showing the cars with all the right stuff and finish and internet connecting us up for information, yes..............But I think that seeing a car in person, you know, hanging in a parking lot with friends and just barley see a car go by, stop at a stoplight and then take off like ther is no tomorrow brings in a dimension that has been lost. Cars in motion and gossip being the information source.............I sort of like it. I also like what is happening today. Guess we are all changing like the Hot Rod scene did back in the day, going from jallopies on to Hot Rods and on to either show/drag or overpowered cars being dangerous on the street....then to flower power loving street roders with beard smoking homegrowen ciggarets and velour cloths....then druring the 80's the whole group of Hot Rodders  went back to the racetracks with cars like Fat Jack Robbinssons 46 Ford in Pro Street trim or in to the world of fibreglass and billet aluminum.........and now it is mostly old school stuff if Hot Rod is the name of the game and a long way from the fibreglass and billet of the 80's........Guess we are doing the same trip, sort of.........So if i was to build and live a Hot Rod life I guess round 62 would have been the year (American Graffiti showed the same conclusion)..............If I was to live a muscle car, street machine life or even have a V-dub i would have choosen the year 82 (so I wish we had our own Amercina Graffitit film from that era)...........Outragous cars, street racing, crusing and generally hanging out..............Or maybe it is the modern times with organized meetings gathering the kind of cars of preference, cool but predictibale!
LuftsickTero

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 21:31:11 pm »

If I was to live a muscle car, street machine life or even have a V-dub i would have choosen the year 82 (so I wish we had our own Amercina Graffitit film from that era)...........Outragous cars, street racing, crusing and generally hanging out..............Or maybe it is the modern times with organized meetings gathering the kind of cars of preference, cool but predictibale!

I do prefer today but I can relate to year 1982 since that was the time I got interested in cars, especially the early Pro-Street ones in Wheels or Colorod magazine 1982-84. Cannot remember which one of the magazines featured it, but my favourite car for long time was a bronze-like colour '62-'65 Nova.. Ring any bells, Sven-Olof?

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 17:05:13 pm »

Yeah Tero that Nova must have been the one with dual carbs (side by side not tunnel ram).......ended up as the first 9 second true street ar back in the 80's with a 9.80 and the officials said a street car can not be that fast so they trow him out........that's what I mean......You barley see them and you hear about them but only a choosen few know about them when it comes down to performance. As it is in motion you don't have the time to study it the way a magazine offers.......like the ornage super beetle running an 1835 on nitrous showen in black and white in HOT VW....turns out to be a super fast street racer 20 years later for all of us not in the hot bed of Cal-look. All the mags back then showed the hot cruising spots........where did they go?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: