The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 19:55:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My new car for next year......
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Print
Author Topic: My new car for next year......  (Read 155901 times)
Adele AW

« Reply #330 on: October 25, 2010, 21:17:13 pm »

Do I smell richies 4" JPM motor?
Care to share?

Why are you so interested to know, seeing that this is your first post here, and also the same post from our UAC thread Huh Grin

O/FF 621
bug 63

« Reply #331 on: October 26, 2010, 10:31:22 am »

just curious about the engine up grade. With talk of turbo s and jpm head i put 2 an 2 together and got 7! . Good look with the re build and hope your have your car out for next year

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ i know all the alphabet!!!
SteveW

« Reply #332 on: October 26, 2010, 22:53:58 pm »

Finally fitted up some stock A Arms this week to get it rolling again, just need some slicks and rear wings and it's ready to be sent off to Wayne Allman for the major part of the rebuild. Cannot wait!

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #333 on: October 27, 2010, 08:12:20 am »

great news guys!

Glitter don't make you faster.
Adele AW

« Reply #334 on: February 06, 2011, 19:56:54 pm »

I thought i would update this thread somewhat and post some pictures. I make no secret of the fact that we will not be out racing again until we are ready to run single digits, for me its all or nothing this time, no half measures  Smiley and the car will be ready for it. Everything we need is now in place for this to happen, so its a case of not rushing, but biding our time. We hope to be out September time to do some testing

I have decided to post a couple of pics now because i have dealt with what happened and mainly so you can see how well the car held up, its real testament to Mr Allman and Mr Isaacs Smiley It just goes to show what couldof happened had this not of been the case. Re-running the detailed crash footage we have, i was up on two wheels when i was going sideways!

Best thing of it all however is that the engine has been fully stripped down and is fine, everything has checked out ok and the case half has has been sorted and it will be up for sale very soon Smiley

This is where the right manifold/throttle body got pushed into the firewall

This was the impact on the gearbox

The impact on the front end

Wheel well....

Both rear wings are like this

and finally, rear end which took the biggest impact

O/FF 621
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #335 on: February 07, 2011, 21:21:54 pm »

good luck for later this year  Smiley

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
leec

« Reply #336 on: February 07, 2011, 22:36:22 pm »

So glad you will be back out soon. The car was awesome first time round, can't wait to see updated version Grin

Lee
kev d

« Reply #337 on: February 09, 2011, 09:54:53 am »

Good luck with the next debut, 9's all the way Grin
Cheers,
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Eric Justus

« Reply #338 on: February 09, 2011, 16:35:23 pm »

Single digits....i like the sound of that!!! Shocked Grin

Eric Justus
HotVWs, SuperVW, Let's Play VW Cal-Look features
Der Kleiner Panzers VW club
Adele AW

« Reply #339 on: February 09, 2011, 21:32:23 pm »

Single digits....i like the sound of that!!! Shocked Grin

For once, i am not aiming High, im aiming Low  Shocked Grin

O/FF 621
Neil Davies

« Reply #340 on: February 10, 2011, 12:57:19 pm »

I do hope you're going for another semi-W lid and the small rear lights, and not some big Pro Stock engine box! Wink A big wing might be a good idea though. They're really useful for putting teacups on, and all sorts of stuff in the workshop!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #341 on: February 10, 2011, 13:21:55 pm »

A big wing might be a good idea though. They're really useful for putting teacups on, and all sorts of stuff in the workshop!

Indeed. And not to forget the extra down force they apply that would help grip and high speed stability. In other words:  s a f e t y

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/b1hVJKTLGdM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/b1hVJKTLGdM</a>

I hope you have some progress with you`re build - good luck and please keep us updated.

BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #342 on: February 11, 2011, 09:30:44 am »

Good to see this coming back together....

And best of all?

HARDER AND FASTER!

nice work Adele & team   Smiley

Neil Davies

« Reply #343 on: February 11, 2011, 10:08:20 am »

A big wing might be a good idea though. They're really useful for putting teacups on, and all sorts of stuff in the workshop!

Indeed. And not to forget the extra down force they apply that would help grip and high speed stability. In other words:  s a f e t y

Quite right - I'm of the firm opinion that the sideplates play a huge role in the effectiveness of a wing, possibly even more than the downforce issue. To my way of thinking, the sideplates keep the air passing over the car in a straight line, therefore keeping the back of the car straighter at speed. What do you reckon?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #344 on: February 11, 2011, 11:04:46 am »

Quite right - I'm of the firm opinion that the sideplates play a huge role in the effectiveness of a wing, possibly even more than the downforce issue. To my way of thinking, the sideplates keep the air passing over the car in a straight line, therefore keeping the back of the car straighter at speed. What do you reckon?

I have never had the power to go so fast that I have felt the need for wing. But I look at it this way: our cars are (just like the PV in the movie) is formed like a wing. When you increase your speed they start to lift and this is also confirmed by those that datalog the shock travel. The car is higher going over the line at top speed than what it is standing still. I believe that whatever you can do to force it down is good and a wing is one way of doing it. The other way is to modify the front but that will kill the looks.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #345 on: February 11, 2011, 13:11:20 pm »

More than anything, the side plates, as you call them (actually known as 'spill plates'), work by stopping air spilling off the sides, thus improving the efficiency of the spoiler. This way you can run a smaller spoiler (which creates less drag) without sacrificing downforce.

A further way to improve a typical VW Pro-Stock=style spoiler is to add a Gurney flap along the underside of the trailing edge.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #346 on: February 11, 2011, 20:04:13 pm »

Is it a case of breaking the lift, or causing down force to counteract the lift?
I have always had the feeling that the bugs gets lighter in the nose when the speed increases.
Is it lifting in both ends?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #347 on: February 11, 2011, 20:54:28 pm »

Is it a case of breaking the lift, or causing down force to counteract the lift?
I have always had the feeling that the bugs gets lighter in the nose when the speed increases.
Is it lifting in both ends?

According to those that monitor the shock travel - yes.

67Screamer

« Reply #348 on: February 13, 2011, 13:44:14 pm »

I didn't know this beautiful car had an ancident, good luck with the repair.
Adele AW

« Reply #349 on: February 23, 2011, 23:28:35 pm »

Wing, Schming Wink

O/FF 621
Eric Justus

« Reply #350 on: February 24, 2011, 00:17:48 am »

Wing, Schming Wink

I got a harrod helper in my dad's garage and a louvered wink mirror if you want to get some 80's appeal to it.. Wink i think it is a few extra HP in some way or another

Eric Justus
HotVWs, SuperVW, Let's Play VW Cal-Look features
Der Kleiner Panzers VW club
SteveW

« Reply #351 on: May 25, 2011, 22:35:27 pm »

Well seeing as pictures and details of Richie's new car have been revealed I thought we might aswell reveal our little secret in that our new powerplant will be indeed Richie's 4" bore motor with JPM heads! Cheesy

Since the last update on here very little has happened on the car, we decided to have a little break and come back refreshed and it's really worked. I've spent the last couple of evenings in the workshop doing odd little bits and i'm loving it again! We are still waiting for workshop space at Wayne's but we are working hard and getting other things sorted and we are aiming to be out testing in August. Initially it won't be painted but then if everything checks out we'll paint over the winter Smiley

We must say a huge thanks to Richie and also Russell for there help so far Smiley
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 22:45:16 pm by SteveW » Logged

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #352 on: May 25, 2011, 22:41:57 pm »

DDD is as good as place as any to test steve painted or otherwise  Wink be good to see you guys out and back at it  Cool
Glenn

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Adele AW

« Reply #353 on: May 25, 2011, 22:47:45 pm »

DDD is as good as place as any to test steve painted or otherwise  Wink be good to see you guys out and back at it  Cool
Glenn

Doubt we will go to DDD more than likely SCC or European Finals to get the track time.

O/FF 621
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #354 on: May 25, 2011, 22:55:51 pm »

Glenn

Doubt we will go to DDD more than likely SCC or European Finals to get the track time.

pitty that as i'm planing on ddd to test my new engine combo and your my lucky heads up partner   Cry Wink

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
tikimadness

« Reply #355 on: May 26, 2011, 21:33:18 pm »

Glenn

Cool guys I'm going to SCC as well.Would be nice to meet you in person.

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
SteveW

« Reply #356 on: May 26, 2011, 21:35:17 pm »

That would be cool Smiley

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #357 on: May 27, 2011, 00:28:11 am »

Well seeing as pictures and details of Richie's new car have been revealed I thought we might aswell reveal our little secret in that our new powerplant will be indeed Richie's 4" bore motor with JPM heads! Cheesy

Cool Smiley Will it be n/a or turbo??

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
SteveW

« Reply #358 on: May 27, 2011, 05:01:21 am »

I have succumb to the way of the turbo!

http://vintageairuk.wordpress.com

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
vwcab

peter

« Reply #359 on: May 27, 2011, 07:00:23 am »