The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 03:38:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Getting even.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Getting even.  (Read 4701 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: November 09, 2007, 04:25:54 am »

Ever build a fast motor just to get even with or show someone up?

Yes, I have. Way back in high school.

More later....

Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:11:48 am »

Me too in highschool.
Wanted to show the back then impot guys that vw beetles could beat any Mazda rotary Grin
My 1700cc Ida engine did the works back then Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 18:44:08 pm »

cool  Grin

Only one other guy has a bad temper besides me?
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 19:42:19 pm »

haha, funny you should mention this because I have a 2276 turbo in my garage which was built/bought for that reason alone!
Guess he never got that far, or got back another way...

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 20:49:22 pm »

My first two motors were "weapons of revenge."

There was a couple of kids that ran around on the "other" side of town in their own detailed 80's Cal Look cars. Dechromed, graphics, super duper paint, chromed to the hilt motors...etc. One car was orange '68 with frenched headlights, slammed front and rear, gold and orange detailed Rivieras, atomic sound system...etc. Rumor had it that car had a hot 1776 in it but since it had "only" Dellorto 34FRD's on it (lovingly known as "Baby Dells" by those that ran them), I suspected otherwise. The other kid had a 1968 or 69 Bug, his dad owned a VW parts place, painted all funky with a weird mural of a warrior princess thrusting herself with a Crane V8 cam (?!!!!) on the front hood. Rumor had it this car had the "baddest" 1641 around with trick heads, Engle 120, dual 40mm DRLAs...etc. Both these kids would always free rev on me when we crossed paths, and at the time, I was only putting around with either my 1500 single port, or my 1641 stocker with Weber 32/36. My car was lame as far as the motor went. But these turkeys pissed me off. They'd yell shit at me about still running chrome moldings (the age old battle,huh?  Grin) and stock height suspension....ugly girlfriend....nice mullet... Grin....and so on. Well my temper was even worse back then.
So in 1988 I built my first motor. 87 x 69 counterweight, shuffle pinned, full flowed, 9.2:1, the "old" CB 044's ported and polished, 12lb "black" flywheel, Scat lifters, Engle VZ25 midget cam, dual 36DRLA's, power pulley and headers. All bought from Buggy House, before I was employed there. The owner, Jerry, asked me "what the F--k are you planning to do with this thing?"
hahahaha
Anyway it was plenty fast. Took care of the boys across town no problem...wacked them so hard they didn't know where it came from.
Then I got word of a rumor that the warrior princess-camshaft car was getting a big motor. Not to be out done, I built my 94 x 74, Engle 125, Pauter A heads done by Mary, 8.8:1, 44 Webers, 4-tuned headers...etc....and when I got it in car, I went hunting. Turns out my prey never even built his big motor, and was still running around with his little motor.  Roll Eyes
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 21:27:46 pm »

Haha funny  story Jim,when i build my first hipo 1700cc Ida engine i ran a stock 4.37 gearbox with a diff and was beating almost every guy in the illegal streetracing Grin

Then these other guys who ran vw beetles also told me they are going to build an angine to beat me.They did and they turned up with a 1835 engine so i went up to 1915cc and ended up with a 82x94 engine with w130,1.25 rockers,IDA's,straight cut gears,street eliminators full ported and polished by Dave kawell and gearbox was a Rancho semi race box,1 to 3 close ratio and 4th for freeway cruising.Had some Mickey Thompson semi slicks running back then and was unbeatable till today Grin

Most of the guys running beetles always told me well gonna build this and that to beat ya on teh streets and strip but none came close.
Always the lame excuse of i missed 3rd gear,didnt have my Mickey thompsons,or the diff is this or that etc.

Now when i meet those guys we can laugh about those days Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 21:43:29 pm »

Haha funny  story Jim,when i build my first hipo 1700cc Ida engine i ran a stock 4.37 gearbox with a diff and was beating almost every guy in the illegal streetracing Grin

Then these other guys who ran vw beetles also told me they are going to build an angine to beat me.They did and they turned up with a 1835 engine so i went up to 1915cc and ended up with a 82x94 engine with w130,1.25 rockers,IDA's,straight cut gears,street eliminators full ported and polished by Dave kawell and gearbox was a Rancho semi race box,1 to 3 close ratio and 4th for freeway cruising.Had some Mickey Thompson semi slicks running back then and was unbeatable till today Grin

Most of the guys running beetles always told me well gonna build this and that to beat ya on teh streets and strip but none came close.
Always the lame excuse of i missed 3rd gear,didnt have my Mickey thompsons,or the diff is this or that etc.

Now when i meet those guys we can laugh about those days Grin

hahaha you and me....we're the same, man!  Cheesy

Another sort of the same thing....

I built a 2276 in 1991-1992...one bad tempered mother it was....Scat 82 pro comp 912 journals, Bugpack race rods, 9.0:1, Super Flow 46 x 38 done by Jimmy Hannan Chevy springs, .200" longer valves, Berg 311 (FK10 copy), 1.4 rockers, 48IDAs 42mm vents, 1-3/4" header....back then it was mean stuff. I spent every dime on getting it running, and it even ran a Vertex locked out for a short while. Sheep rode in it.
Anyway, there was this kid that was probably 3-4 years younger than me that used to come to Buggy House. He ran around in a 1956 Bug (could have been a hoodride back then if the word existed), but was sorta late 80's style too, slammed all the way around, white fender beading and window rubbers...etc. We had mutual friends and I heard through the grapevine he was buying this guy Roger's old 2276 SPG-roller crank motor. It ran Super Flow II's, Engle 120, and 44 Webers. It ended up in Big Frank's hands and he sold it to this kid for a song. I also heard this kid was going around mouthing off "I'm gonna smoke Ratto once I get this motor in." Oh boy.... Roll Eyes
So one night, after I heard he had got the car running I spotted him on Santa Rita Rd in Pleasanton one Friday night. We were at a traffic light and I was about 3 cars back from him in the same lane. Crap no way we could race. So when the light changed I just hung back a few cars, and waited until the road opened to 2 lanes. Once it did, I merged over a lane and throttled up beside his Oval. He glanced over and saw me there and kicked me a rev. So I returned one. Next thing you know he drops the hammer. Thing is he didn't downshift! His car just went BBBBBBAAAAWWWWWWGGG. I pulled it down into 2nd and brought it up to 7500, shift to third with a bark from the tires, up to 6000 and next thing you know.....I'm nailed. Pleasanton cops got me again. Didn't lose my license, but paid dearly in the end. The kid ended up turning off some side street and was home free.
stealth67vw

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 23:10:09 pm »

I built a motor to shut someone up, but I think you are doing the same, right Jim?  Grin
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 23:12:34 pm by stealth67vw » Logged

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 23:19:30 pm »

I built a motor to shut someone up, but I think you are doing the same, right Jim?  Grin

Roll Eyes

Differnent noise coming out of this one. Sounds like dying cattle.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 23:31:16 pm »

Every engine I've ever done was to show everyone up, not just one person

I also park at Nick's.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 04:50:26 am »

They'd yell shit at me about still running chrome moldings (the age old battle,huh?  Grin) and stock height suspension....ugly girlfriend....nice mullet... Grin

I laughed so hard I peed a little bit!!!  Cheesy Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
sheep

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 05:16:49 am »

HEY WTF Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 15:48:52 pm »

Haha we're the same indeed then, Grin

Everytime someone would show up with abigger engine then mine back then i would upgrade.
Then i got the car got the nickname Bewitched coz it looked like i just twnked my nose and had another engine.

Still use that name for my drag pro stocker Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
Soda

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 04:35:42 am »

If I did want to get even with someone what combination would you use. Turbo, or 48ida with big heads.  The cost seems to be about the same or maybe there is something that I have over looked.

Bryan
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 15:01:08 pm »

Fow now i would say big heads and IDA's as i'm not home in the turbo things yet Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Jim Ratto

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 21:24:40 pm »

If I did want to get even with someone what combination would you use. Turbo, or 48ida with big heads.  The cost seems to be about the same or maybe there is something that I have over looked.

Bryan

hey "guy"
Depends on who you're trying to get even with, now doesn't it?

Hi Bryan, how are you. I'm sorry you missed the party @ my place down here. I'm sure you would have had fun...or something. I think there was even a bottle of Meade wine floating around somewhere.....not that we needed it.

Are you making your Bug a racecar?  Undecided

Hope everything is going well. Talk soon,

Jim
Neil Davies

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 13:40:44 pm »

Ever build a fast motor just to get even with or show someone up?

Yes, I have. Way back in high school.

More later....

I'm building the whole damn car. Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: